What Is Your IT Security Objective ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
This poll is meant as a general, conceptual poll; it can never cover all the possible user-specific scenarios and objectives.

Please... just have fun with it.

When I first started on my personal IT security quest I made just about every mistake that one can make. Back then, my goal was to build an "impenetrable fortress." That seemed, at that time, like the right thing to do.

As my understanding of IT security has grown, my perspective on home computing and security softs has changed. Today, my goal is not a fortress, but rather system responsiveness along with a high base-line security level. I've learned it is an achievable objective that includes an anti-executable, light virtualization and outbound network filtering modules.

What is the objective of your chosen security configuration ?

Pick the response that best reflects your intended security configuration end-goals...

Please note that, in my experience, while an "impenetrable fortress" configuration is possible, ultimately the toll on system resources or other problems - such as conflicts, complicated and tiresome usage, and system instability - make such configurations so troublesome that it degrades my user experience to a point where I get disgusted and do a complete reconfigure...

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I will rate myself as low risk user which only simplified and enough protection to my system where those samples I've taken are properly test on isolated environment.

Way back many years when I'm paranoid about security configuration which realized do I need all of them? Even though useful; does affect your everyday workload?

Some questions realize that better to have minimal configuration but your knowledge binds on what are do's and don'ts.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I will rate myself as low risk user which only simplified and enough protection to my system where those samples I've taken are properly test on isolated environment.

Way back many years when I'm paranoid about security configuration which realized do I need all of them? Even though useful; does affect your everyday workload?

Some questions realize that better to have minimal configuration but your knowledge binds on what are do's and don'ts.

@jamescv7 - you have no need of AV... :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i vote none because the poll doesn't have "impenetrable fortress with high system responsiveness " :D (which i managed to achieve)

my path was : found an AV that really works > found it (CIS) > build a ultra-fortress around it (including my famous CIS + EAM combo) > my fortress is too strong (time to have fun with Win8 build-in security) > i love the speed but miss my fortress > found high responsiveness with ultimate protection (my config).

now i try to find new apps to add without hampering my system responsiveness. i will not use any RT AV anymore. i think the next apps i will add will be Smart Object Blocker (from NVT) when it will be stable , seems it has a huge potential.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would not rate myself as a paranoid user with a use for a fortress. I think before i click which i think helps a lot. I have never had an infection, but if i did i may become a paranoid user with a use for a fortress. :)

I am a long time Norton user and as for system responsiveness i can not even notice it running on my system. :D

If am going to do something risky like testing some malwares or surfing risky spots i will enter shadow mode of Shadow Defender and wil be in a virtual fortress om my own. :D

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
For me sometimes I like to be in a fortress sometimes I want to roam around without any protection. But yes I know when to be in fortress and when to road and enjoy the scenic beauty ;);).

For example I keep only one light Antivirus product with me along windows firewall. But the moment I need to plug some USB drive or running any unknown software I scan it with multiple scanners.

Frankly speaking I never had an infection in last few years. Only got the infection when I just started using the computer and did not know what to surf as Internet meant only one thing then ( :p:p:p:p if you know what I mean :D:D). Once time I clicked on some thing that opened 1000's of IE pages and crashed by computer. From that time onwards I am not starting my system without basic protection.

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I consider myself as paranoid user with 3 active AV (BIS-MBAM pro-WSA) and several security software (zemana antilogger-MBAE etc) so I think Impenetrable fortress is my goal.

Reactions: Sr. Normal

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I choose "System Responsiveness and Speed Over Protection." since there is no way to have a 100% secure system I just use my UTM and Windows Defender currently (Kaspersky is a no go on 10 currently) to reduce my attack surface by not including 2-5 on-access scanners which can be easily exploited and don't do jack. Might even disable Defender...

I

illumination

Thread author
I chose good system responsiveness with baseline.

Reason: I have not had an infection in over 5 years no matter what i have used on my system, which has ranged from, so locked down it was tedious just to open a browser and surf, to running nothing but windows defender. I have come to the conclusion that the main principle of having a computer is being able to use it and enjoy it. Hence i lean towards the solid baseline, while utilizing back ups as my main source of independence. I keep several back ups of my system, and as far as personal files go, once they are created on my machine, copies are made that are instantly transferred to a external device for storage and once im done with the original on the machine, those are deleted to keep the system lean. I find anything beyond this method, is over kill and a waste of time as nothing is guaranteed and or 100% effective, with this in mind, i stay prepared.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I have come to the conclusion that the main principle of having a computer is being able to use it and enjoy it.

I find anything beyond this method, is over kill and a waste of time as nothing is guaranteed and or 100% effective, with this in mind, i stay prepared.

This is the "Wisdom of Experience"... at least, in my opinion.

Reactions: illumination

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I chose Good System Responsiveness with Solid Base-Line Security.
I have found the right apps (Application Whitelisting/Virtualization) that give me plenty of security (along with my Brain.exe) that won't bog my pc down to a point of it being no fun to use. That is what's important to me.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
main principle of having a computer is being able to use it and enjoy it

Music to my ears. So many have triply redundant AV's, single use security products like CryptoMonitor and Anti-Keylogger thingies, etc. that a majority of time is in maintaining them and not actually using the computer for anything educational and/or entertaining.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am not paranoid for anything.

Currently I consider myself medium - advanced user.

Never had an infection. Its been 10 - 12 years since I started using internet. The very first laptop had Trend Micro 1 Year free.

My first free security software & forum was Comodo. I read an article on Firewall in news paper. Comodo was featured along with Jetico & Zone Alarm. Comodo was on number 1 spot so I visited Comodo website & tried Comodo FW & later joined their forum. I learned a lot from Comodo forum & my interest & journey to learn about computer security, etc... started from there.

I believe there are loads of new malware everyday but its not like you will start your system & get infected. I try to keep the security effective & not overload the system with security software. I like free security/software, etc...

Majority are average users...I look for a security from their view point & try to install & recommend.
Basically I go with Win FW + Third Party AV or Internet Security, etc...

Currently for average users I install/recommend---
Win FW + Third Party AV + Alternate Browser + Ad Blocker + Unchecky for realtime security.

And Comodo Internet Security to intermediate & above or users ready to try & see.

Currently I am running Comodo Internet Security on Win 10 64.

From the available options I chose "Good System Responsiveness with Solid Base-Line Security".

Reactions: Overkill

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Good system responsiveness with baseline security.Like @illumination said I like to enjoy my PC.I have not had an infection in over 15 years,maybe even close to 20.I only use 3 products and a couple on demand scanners.I know where I am going and what I am doing online.I feel like I have wasted my money if I have paid for a PC built for performance only to have these resources wasted on a overabundance of security programs

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Voted "System Responsiveness and Speed Over Protection"

I am not paranoid about Windows 10 spying on me, or visiting dangerous sites. I take precautions and practice safe browsing. I don't need multiple Antivirus software to catch every single strand of malware out there.

Windows 10 comes with baseline security, and as far as I am concerned I am covered in that respect.

You don't buy a sports car to drive 10 mph, and take it as far as your drive way.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I feel like I have wasted my money if I have paid for a PC built for performance only to have these resources wasted on a overabundance of security programs

More sage advice based upon the "Wisdom of Experience"... just my opinion.

You don't buy a sports car to drive 10 mph, and take it as far as your drive way.

Good analogy... it is so true unless you are the type that buys a Lamborghini and garage parks it...

S

Sr. Normal

Thread author
I vote Good System Responsiveness with Solid Base-Line Security, although I must admit that I'm close to paranoia.:rolleyes:

Now i go with Norton Security, Crystal Security and I use MBAM free, Xvirus, Zemana ... in fact I am satisfied-dissatisfied o_O because Webroot has been removed from my system.

I think we should get an education (common sense + basic knowledge) to act properly with the computer. That and nothing else is the best defense of the computer. From this education, the right way, for me, is the balance between defense and system speed.

Well, this is my theory :) ... I just have to remember what I've written in the future :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.