Advice Request What is your opinion about Microsoft Windows Defender (Windows 10)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The company that found the Trickbot UAC bypass and the CCleaner trojan is using Windows Defender in their no-extra-cost pitch (ditch 3rd-party AV, because WD is as good and add our endpoint protection solution for increased protection and reduced cost - link)

Morphisec's moving target approach relocates memory (like Windows own Address Space Layout Randomization) and leaves a copy of the old memory structure as a malware trap/bait, when this memory trap is accessed in an unusual way they know it is malware (similar how some anti-ransomware software tries to catch ransomware with decoy-files).

Imagine Microsoft buying this company

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Morphisec does not need the Internet connection (but requires updates from time to time), so it can be very helpful for covering WD in businesses against attacks from the local network. The paid MS services are not cheap, so most enterprises do not use WD alone.

WD_Morphisec.png

Here is a white paper about Moving Target Defenses (some techniques were adopted in Morphisec):

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have an ex work colleague who users her PC very safely, she bought a new laptop & was pretty good value but the shop wanted to sell her an AV + Malwarebytes (for a fortune) which is OTT for her. When she got home she texted me & I rang her as she was looking at ESET 1 user 1 year @ £39.00 ($50) as I put ESET on a
while ago for her ago on a previous lappy.

Defender was already running so I suggested to leave it as it is. I went round a few days later to set a new printer up for her & left it with Defender - First time I've done that, if AV companies want to remain in businesses they need to do better than $50 a year 1 user when Defender is free I feel - I have other licences but for this lady I was happy esp as I did an image before I left - Times change?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
if AV companies want to remain in businesses they need to do better than $50 a year 1 user when Defender is free
It's usually not cheap to buy licenses directly from vendors. But if you shop elsewhere, you can get very cheap licenses.

Here are some examples.
I paid $6 for a 3 device/1 year license for ESET Internet Security.
I paid $5.49 for a 1 year license for Norton Antivirus, which I just upgraded for free to Norton 360.
I paid $3 for a 5 year license for McAfee Internet Security.
I paid $10 for 3 device/1 year license for 360 Total Security Premium.

I bought all of these except ESET, from eBay. They all activated with no issues.

Some people find that Windows Defender slows down their computers too much for their liking, so it is not a viable option for them.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I fully realise that, but this lady just looked on ESET UK site, (normal thing for most to do) & that's what she was offered, as she had listened to me in the past she didn't buy - I recently bough a 10 user KIS 2 year licence for £32 from Kaspersky - If people want ESET licences it seems they are getting pretty good at rooting out & blocking after a couple of months none genuine/ shared licenses. confirmed by a call to ESET UK a coupe of months ago.

My point was though, As the word gets around WD is pretty good, the likes of ESET on their site are going to find it more difficult to sell licences @$50 a year when it could be argued WD comes out as well as ESET - BTW I've got KIS on all my PC's not WD & some find KIS slows their PC down equally, & as even inexpensive PC's get faster this may not be a problem.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Some people find that Windows Defender slows down their computers too much for their liking, so it is not a viable option for them.
That is normal. Although WD is a good start for the home users on Windows 10, it does not mean that one has to stick with it, if he/she does not like it.

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
Personally I use it on my daughter's pc only for Anti-Exploit Protection.
You should never see the intervention of your Anti-Exploit, and Anti-Malware protection.

If not, you need to configure your browser better.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
This is what it says in my Update history, probably for everyone else too, and the Update line is a clickable link obviously. Maybe there's a misprint or something. I don't know where else you'd find a changelog. This isn't the first confusion about this kind of update either. :unsure:

antimal.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.