Advice Request What is your opinion about Microsoft Windows Defender (Windows 10)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

virusesmaximum

Level 1
Aug 21, 2019
The ideal and perfect solution for Windows 10 users who do not want to buy 3rd party security software - that will cause issues, conflicts or a dent in their wallet.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using Windows Defender Antivirus on Windows 10, it's the default security in the OS. Who cares!?

There is a popular saying that says cheap or free is always expensive. I would never trust free software to protect my files.
Regardless of whether it comes with the system, it seems too basic a protection, no matter how much it has improved.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Well the thing with Windows Defender is, it may not beat the top guns in most tests but now it consistently performs excellent in all AV labs test. Windows Defender is now enough for most non security geek people. It gets the job done. But it has some drawbacks like the PUP protection is not on by default which is extremely stupid I think and another drawback is that it doesn't have system wide web protection. If an app tries to connect to a malicious domain then WD has no way to block it even if that site is blacklisted in their SmartScreen database. It has a real time network inspection service which is their IDS (Intrusion Detection Systems) protection I believe but anyway there's nothing to block phishing and malicious url outside their browser Edge. WD is stable too and a Windows Defender bug doesn't usually hurt other parts of the OS or another software while a bug in a third party AVs often breaks other things.
Anyway, I'm not saying it's better than Kaspersky or some other big guns but it certainly has improved a lot. It performs excellent in AV labs test even with the drawbacks that I mentioned here.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There is a popular saying that says cheap or free is always expensive. I would never trust free software to protect my files.
Regardless of whether it comes with the system, it seems too basic a protection, no matter how much it has improved.
Mod Edit: Comment removed due to offensive post.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Well my Mitsubishi may not be as fast as a race car, but it still gets me safely from point a to b.

Tbh this whole beats this beats that argument is stupid. WD has improved significantly, anyone arguing otherwise has their head in the sand. I'm not say it's the best thing out there, it's not, but it's not terrible either. I think people have to stop focusing in WD alone. MS has built in a ton of other security features within W10 for the OS to protect itself. When you take everything into account WD, Smartscreen,etc... W10 essentially has a security suit built in. Its not combined into 1 program like everyone is use to. WD is only but 1 part of W10s security, sadly it's the only one people focus on.

WD is built in, always up to date, doesn't sell you ads and get in your face and causes the least amount of conflicts issues compared to most 3rd parties. If you dont feel comfortable, dont use it, but all I know is it has done its job for me and I remain infection free. Paying for a product doesnt mean it's better. In fact I've had more headaches with paid offerings with this or that, than I have had with WD.

So at the end of the day, use whatever program works best for you and makes you sleep better at night. I'm using WD and I sleep well at night, maybe too well.:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If one uses WD + Edge + ConfigureDefender HIGH Protection Level in the home environment, then the protection is probably similar to the top paid AVs on default or slightly tweaked settings. But, this WD protection can produce slightly more false positives for files with low prevalence.
Outside the safe home network, some advanced features are welcome like: VPN, advanced firewall, Banking Protection, etc. - these features are available in the top AVs. Furthermore, some paid AVs can be also highly tweaked for more security.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

If one uses WD + Edge + ConfigureDefender HIGH Protection Level in the home environment, then the protection is probably similar to the top paid AVs on default or slightly tweaked settings. But, this WD protection can produce slightly more false positives for files with low prevalence.
Outside the safe home network, some advanced features are welcome like: VPN, advanced firewall, Banking Protection, etc. - these features are available in the top AVs. Furthermore, some paid AVs can be also highly tweaked for more security.
Spot on.

The only thing I will say is that some of that stuff can be had separately. You can still purchase a VPN, etc... separately and get the same effect. 3rd parties make it easy as it's all together, but you can still use the built in secuirty of W10 and add on other features separately if you so choose. Personally I think this is a better option because if you dont like the VPN that came with you suite, you can easily change. You can still use one that different than the one that comes with your suite, but why pay for something your not going to use.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Well my Mitsubishi may not be as fast as a race car, but it still gets me safely from point a to b.

Tbh this whole beats this beats that argument is stupid. WD has improved significantly, anyone arguing otherwise has their head in the sand. I'm not say it's the best thing out there, it's not, but it's not terrible either. I think people have to stop focusing in WD alone. MS has built in a ton of other security features within W10 for the OS to protect itself. When you take everything into account WD, Smartscreen,etc... W10 essentially has a security suit built in. Its not combined into 1 program like everyone is use to. WD is only but 1 part of W10s security, sadly it's the only one people focus on.

WD is built in, always up to date, doesn't sell you ads and get in your face and causes the least amount of conflicts issues compared to most 3rd parties. If you dont feel comfortable, dont use it, but all I know is it has done its job for me and I remain infection free. Paying for a product doesnt mean it's better. In fact I've had more headaches with paid offerings with this or that, than I have had with WD.

So at the end of the day, use whatever program works best for you and makes you sleep better at night. I'm using WD and I sleep well at night, maybe too well.:p
i am interested to see your configuration could you share it with us ?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Spot on.

The only thing I will say is that some of that stuff can be had separately. You can still purchase a VPN, etc... separately and get the same effect. 3rd parties make it easy as it's all together, but you can still use the built in secuirty of W10 and add on other features separately if you so choose. Personally I think this is a better option because if you dont like the VPN that came with you suite, you can easily change. You can still use one that different than the one that comes with your suite, but why pay for something your not going to use.
Buying one of the missing features is OK. But, two or more can be too expensive. These features are very cheap when bought together as "Total Security".

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
i am thinking to try hardened windows defender with the great tool deveopled by @Andy Fulfor tweaking it and vodoo shield in addtion to adgaurd for web prtection. i think this will be stable,cheap and effective combo with best performance after Emsisoft subscription expire

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
i am thinking to try hardened windows defender with the great tool deveopled by @Andy Fulfor tweaking it and vodoo shield in addtion to adgaurd for web prtection. i think this will be stable,cheap and effective combo with best performance after Emsisoft subscription expire

It's a very good setup, easy and lightweight (WD being machine-dependent in terms of speed).

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
It's a very good setup, easy and lightweight (WD being machine-dependent in terms of speed).
yes i think with WD as a built in OS tool with some tweaks will have low performance impact and has more stability in the long term (with microsft patches which integrate it well with windows 10 and doesbit break things like with 3rd part software)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have no objections. Some MT users like such a setup.:)

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
If Microsoft made Windows Defender faster, it would be the best option. Instead, WD is the slowest real-time AV I've ever experienced and it has been this way for years. One would think company the size of Microsoft with nearly unlimited resources and tons of experts would be able to optimize the scan engine in all these years...

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If Microsoft made Windows Defender faster, it would be the best option. Instead, WD is the slowest real-time AV I've ever experienced and it has been this way for years. One would think company the size of Microsoft with nearly unlimited resources and tons of experts would be able to optimize the scan engine in all these years...
Faster is kind of subjective based on how the computer is used. I’ve used ESET and WD back to back. I noticed zero difference.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.