Advice Request What is your opinion about Microsoft Windows Defender (Windows 10)?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

B

BVLon

The same to me. Probably in some systems it is fast and in some other slow :unsure:
It's very slow on my system as well...You guys need to know that WD, altho being the worst 2-3 years ago, actually applies complicated ML analysis and threat correlation... it normally remediates threats in their entirety. So it's not really too bad. It's one of the few programs out there to actually apply a proper removal routine.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

i am interested to see your configuration could you share it with us ?

Nothing to fancy, just WD tweaked along side hard_configurator, nothing else.:)
Buying one of the missing features is OK. But, two or more can be too expensive. These features are very cheap when bought together as "Total Security".

That is true.

I'm just looking at it from the point of view of using the one that comes with the suite and you either dont like it, or it is causing you issues. Some of this stuff can be had for free.

All in all there's more than one way to go about this. It all comes down to needs/wants and preference. Still doesn't mean that someone cant use WD and W10 security features and still be safe. You don't need to get/pay for a 3rd party to do that, just remember that no set up/product is perfect, so you need to practice safe habits regardless. That's the best security suite IMO, brain.exe

Impossible. When WD encounters any EXE it literally chokes on it. And my PC is anything but slow.
See I havent noticed that myself. I'm not saying your wrong, but it goes back to what @blackice said about being it case by case and subjective. TBH I havent noticed this on any of my computers, but I also install W10 from scratch and dont have a million things running the the background.

End of the day it's important to try each program for yourself. If you find it to slow, try something else. Lots of choices to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Impossible. When WD encounters any EXE it literally chokes on it. And my PC is anything but slow.
I think there are a lot of variables that go into it. Processor, ram, what is in folders you are browsing, and what applications you are running. I can’t speak to folders full of exe’s which is usually the main complaint. I don’t keep folders like that.

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
Started using Defender full time after it was annouced another free av was selling user data, decided at that time to convert all systems to Defender, yeah at times it might be a little slow. But i've had no game performance issues, no bsod's, no update issues, all scans show up clean as well. So far not minding Defender it all, and quietly stays outta the way

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Not every program is Kaspersky. Trend Micro is extremely fast as well, but different vendors do it differently and you'll have to get over it. Threat removal is not something that will be happening every 5 minutes. Still tho, I would definitely not use WD. Never. Never ever.
... except if it will change (there is such a possibility). :)

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
If anyone is willing to this, I will be thankful.

Of course, only do so if you want to. For those currently using WD, try to do a full scan with it. Once it finish, see how much CPU your computer is using. If you see it's using quite a lot you can wait a couple of minutes to see if it settles down, but it most likely won't.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It did change a lot, it looks more like a normal security product now, but with my McAfee license till 2028 and Trend Micro license till 2026, VS license till 2023 for which I am very grateful as well... Don't think I will ever come to Windows Defender.
My condolences. You seem do not like to live long.:(
I wish you will change your mind.:)(y)

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

Of course, only do so if you want to. For those currently using WD, try to do a full scan with it. Once it finish, see how much CPU your computer is using. If you see it's using quite a lot you can wait a couple of minutes to see if it settles down, but it most likely won't.
I will do it. It will take some time because I was never done this before (why should I?).

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

I'll do right now. I've got time to kill 'cause we're sheltering in place. But you'll have to wait a long time for it to finish!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

My results are almost 100% when doing a full scan and down to 3% just after:
Aantekening 2020-03-20 210133.png

So no issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.