Advice Request What is your preferred backup software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Favourite Backup and Restore Software

• Total voters
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I used to have a DATTO appliance, and paid handsomely for it. That's gone, waste of time and money.

Now I do not back anything up except what people throw into Sync.com folders on computers, and photos from Android Phones, that's automated and Sync.com is very secure. Backing up more than this is a waste of time and resources since I can refresh/reset a Win10 machine in under 30 minutes.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have Macrium Reflect, but never had to use it for recovery. It fails to do a backup on the first try, but by my third try it works.

All personal data files are backed up to 2 cloud storage spaces, with a final copy sitting on an external hard drive, alongside the the Macrium Reflect system images. External hard drive is not networked.

When I had Windows XP (2004-2008), I used Norton Ghost. It was one of my favourite system recovery tools.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Depends what you are backing up and where. I use ARQ backup combined with Google Drive for backing up to the cloud. For local files I just configure a batch file to run with rclone so that I can trigger the backup whenever I want. Online backups are encrypted but local backups aren't just for the ease of access.

USB flash drive and Dropbox. Meet all my backup needs. Reliable and effective.

I use Windows Backup because I grow weary of clean installing Windows and rebuilding a system. I update the backup image once in a while.

When it comes to back ups, simple is always better.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Paragon Backup and Recovery. System recovery can be started from within Windows. That helps. Paragon will auto-boot into a PE environment for the restore. Also works with the CD.

One other thing. Scheduled backups each have their own settings scripts. It's possible to edit the script so that it could run and repeat say once a week and then save the most recent 5, etc. I used this for about six months, and it was a great system. Basically, I always had the last 7 days and then the most recent monthly image from a separate backup routine.

Btw you do backup but you verify it time to time ?

I havent' been using verification, but I have been meaning to go back to verifying. Been lucky for the last year while I haven't been doing this. Thx for the reminder @Quassar...

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Paragon Backup and Recovery. System recovery can be started from within Windows. That helps. Paragon will auto-boot into a PE environment for the restore. Also works with the CD.

One other thing. Scheduled backups each have their own settings scripts. It's possible to edit the script so that it could run and repeat say once a week and then save the most recent 5, etc. I used this for about six months, and it was a great system. Basically, I always had the last 7 days and then the most recent monthly image from a separate backup routine.

I havent' been using verification, but I have been meaning to go back to verifying. Been lucky for the last year while I haven't been doing this. Thx for the reminder @Quassar...

Yes about 1 on 100 poples in buisness verify backup its so scarry....
Forgotten rule..... "3-2-1" or even 3-2-2 but is a bit pathetic ^^

D

Deleted member 178

Windows backup (because it never failed me) and Macrium (as a fail-safe )

Now I do not back anything up except what people throw into Sync.com folders on computers, and photos from Android Phones, that's automated and Sync.com is very secure. Backing up more than this is a waste of time and resources since I can refresh/reset a Win10 machine in under 30 minutes.
yes sure...if you use a untouched barebone OS with nothing on it...and time to waste ( to clean install/reset OS > update OS > personalize/tweak it > install softs )...

In my case it is heavily tweaked with MS office 2016 , i spend more time on personalization/update of Win10 and MSO, than clean-installing the OS itself.
Restoring an backup image = 15mn max. faster than reset/refresh...and i have all my settings and softs restored as well.
Clean install+update+tweaking = 3 hours...

So no, not a waste of time for most of us..

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.