Advice Request What is your preferred backup software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Favourite Backup and Restore Software

• Total voters
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

So no, not a waste of time for most of us...so please think more before stating crap...

Listen bud, he was asking our individual opinions, which I stated MINE dealing with MY CASE.

What is your preferred backup software?

Now I do not back anything up except what people throw into Sync.com folders on computers, and photos from Android Phones, that's automated and Sync.com is very secure. Backing up more than this is a waste of time and resources since I can refresh/reset a Win10 machine in under 30 minutes.

I wasn't referring to anyone whatsoever, as this obviously wouldn't apply to many people, I've streamlined my setups. Which was my point.

so please think more before stating crap...

Please do.

PS: Since I have a fairly good internet connection;

wow2.png

Keeping stuff in encrypted cloud storage makes the most sense for me. Obviously that wouldn't apply to everyone either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse
D

Deleted member 178

Listen pal, he was asking our individual opinions, which I stated MINE dealing with MY CASE.
so you don't personalize Win10, never install any softs and never update Windows?
If yes , then you are right, you don't need backup softs. and i apologize.
if not, means you are saying you still prefer reset/refresh and redo everything than make a backup?

Restoring a backup will always be faster than reset/refresh/clean install + update + install softs, you can't deny this.
then if for you restoring a backup is a waste of time...so we have a very different understanding of what time is.

itwt

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

so you don't personalize Win10, never install any softs and never update Windows?
If yes , then you are right, you don't need backup softs. and i apologize.
if not, means you are saying you still prefer reset/refresh and redo everything than make a backup?

Restoring a backup will always be faster than reset/refresh/clean install + update, you can't deny this.
if for you restoring a backup is a waste of time...

I run Windows as flat as possible, but with my connection and system speeds, I can restore everything in minutes and have scripts/batches for automating most of it. (old batch programmer here) Then all that is left is to point game clients to the game data drive (D), and re-sync my encrypted cloud backup and everything is ready to go. Most backup software is probably not going to be any quicker, and probably be more hassle. In my case that is.

For people with lots of stuff, programs, customization, it's going to not be a solution for them.

D

Deleted member 178

Most backup software is probably not going to be any quicker, and probably be more hassle. In my case that is..
Macrium (Paid, because you have incremental option) is very fast , i was surprised by it. You should try.
my complete C partition (with all installed) is 33Gb , Macrium restore a full backup of it in more of less 10mn (i dont have uber-hardware: i5/8gb RAM), an incremental one in 2-5mn.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
AOMEI Backupper Professional. I can mount a backup like a drive if I want to restore single things. It also works reliably on schedule and if the schedule time is missed it will start backup at whatever next available time unlike Windows Backup...

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and AtlBo
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Macrium (Paid, because you have incremental option) is very fast , i was surprised by it. You should try.
my complete C partition (with all installed) is 33Gb , Macrium restore a full backup of it in more of less 10mn (i dont have uber-hardware: i5/8gb RAM), an incremental one in 2-5mn.

You may have convinced me. I just implemented the trial of the paid version. I was able to full backup my NVME/m.2 C drive (OS) to a backup NVME/m.2 drive, about 35GB, in around 60 seconds. :eek: That's certainly much quicker than the 30 minutes of a full wipe and restore.

Tume

Level 2
Verified
Mar 30, 2018
You may have convinced me. I just implemented the trial of the paid version. I was able to full backup my NVME/m.2 C drive (OS) to a backup NVME/m.2 drive, about 35GB, in around 60 seconds. :eek: That's certainly much quicker than the 30 minutes of a full wipe and restore.

Macrium Reflect 7.1 Home is amazing! Blazing fast and save my time many time. So I'm proud Macrium Reflect user and will be at future too!

Reactions: AtlBo
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

At the moment; i dont see better backup solution than Macrium in term of speed, options and usability.
It even offer a boot manager.
One of the few softs that deserve to be paid.

It is slick. Are there any downsides?

Before, with my Datto, the cloud spinup option was amazing and it is considered a 'fast' device. But Macrium smashes it in speed. I thought my 30 minute (give or take) method was fast and easy, but macrium is way faster than that. :eek: I will trial it for 30 days and purchase it if there aren't any noted downsides.

Tume

Level 2
Verified
Mar 30, 2018
It is slick. Are there any downsides?

Before, with my Datto, the cloud spinup option was amazing and it is considered a 'fast' device. But Macrium smashes it in speed. I thought my 30 minute (give or take) method was fast and easy, but macrium is way faster than that. :eek: I will trial it for 30 days and purchase it if there aren't any noted downsides.

I know only one downside. When you want encrypt your backups like I want, you have to create +32 character password if you want use AES-256.

62137c88a625e65c0d4e967ed18c1833.png

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I use Marcrium free and never used encryption. Didn't think I needed to with using a 256 gig USB 3 stick. It has saved my feet many times.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Tickle- Not an issue if your Macrium Image is saved on a removable drive, but the Free version will allow those ransomware that seek macrium extensions to encrypt them. In the paid versions this is not the case.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I have not used this feature yet. Is it as good as say VMWare or VirtualBox? Is this something that is used on the main drive of an external drive?

"Macrium Reflect v7 Free Edition has new features that were not included in v6 Free Edition:
  1. Instant Virtualisation of Macrium Reflect images using viBoot. Create a running VM of a Macrium Reflect image in seconds
  2. Full support for Windows 10 Task Scheduling using the Windows Task Scheduler 2.0 API"

Tume

Level 2
Verified
Mar 30, 2018
I have not used this feature yet. Is it as good as say VMWare or VirtualBox? Is this something that is used on the main drive of an external drive?

"Macrium Reflect v7 Free Edition has new features that were not included in v6 Free Edition:
  1. Instant Virtualisation of Macrium Reflect images using viBoot. Create a running VM of a Macrium Reflect image in seconds
  2. Full support for Windows 10 Task Scheduling using the Windows Task Scheduler 2.0 API"

It uses Hyper-V :)

Reactions: Venustus and AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.