Advice Request What On Demand Scanner/Scanners Do You Use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1/ Always used: Hitman pro, Norton power eraser (both very fast and effective)
2/ usually: Zemana (reduced effectiveness)
3/ Sometimes: malwarebytes (must be installed), eset (extremely long scanning time but very effective)
4/ rarely: roguekiller (last resort, super slow, takes time to download the scanner and signatures), Emsisoft (take ages to download signatures, too many write cycles to SSD, heavy, not super effective as above)

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I have a whole host of them although most rarely use...

Malwarebytes Premium (previously real-time protection), AdwCleaner & KVRT. Also EEK, NPE & ESET (these are not currently installed). Finally I've also got Avast Free sitting in Passive Mode available as a secondary scanner as I'm trying out Windows Defender again as main AV.

Of all those I tend to use KVRT most frequently. NPE I uninstalled as it has a reputation of being a bit aggressive. EEK & AdwCleaner I tend to run when a new version comes out.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
After Testing out several has 2nd opinion scanners

1.CCE (Comodo)
2. EEK (BD Engine and BTS is my main AV)
3. ESET online (Yes it is very slow but also scans more places than most scanners)
4.NPE
5.KVRT
6.F-Secure online scanner.
7.MalwareBytes Free

I settled on KVRT and NPE to be the best for me has 2nd opinion scanners.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I believe my main AV takes proper care of my security. Just in case, I usually have three backup portable scanners in a USB (trying to avoid storing executables in my PC to reduce attack surface). This usually are:
  • ESET Online Scanner
  • Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
  • Emsisoft Emergency Kit

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.