Advice Request What password manager to you use as of 2017 ?

• Thread starter WolfensteinXeen
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WolfensteinXeen

Thread author
So it's already July and why not take the time and talk about what password manager do we use as of 2017.

Are you using the native password manager of your browser ? And if you're using a third party one, is it open source such as KeePass or proprietary, stored locally or cloud based, used on your PC only or on all your devices ? And if happen to don't use any password manager at all, what's your trick to ensure your online safety ?

This is not a comparison or about what's THE best password manager, but about what's your favorite one and why you use it. And of course all related talks such as 2 step authentification, password strength, etc...

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I've used Stickypassword for years. Largely because its only $24 for a lifetime. But also because they've never had a security flaw or exploit, at least one that anyone has found or disclosed. I use TFA with Sticky, change my MP every 30-90 days, etc. (min 20char MP)

However, I am seriously looking at Bit Warden which seems like a much better product than anything else and the support is remarkable. Another option I am looking into is Keepass with my own secure cloud sync. My main goal is to get away from VA based or AWS hosted products. I don't trust the AWS API or Architecture, especially after the OneLogin API compromise.

Where can you get Sticky for $24? In their site it's $149.99

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Have been using their products for so many years now and yes even after that I will continue to use them..

Hey, I like Trend. The MSP I work for is a Trend Partner. However I can't in any right frame of mind ever use it due to the Booz connection. But also the HDPRO thread where I showed Trend allowed its own process to be hijacked blew away any last vestiges of confidence I had in it.. But to be honest, the password manager is an under-developed, poorly patched pile of trash.

Trend Micro password manager had remote command execution holes and dumped data to anyone: Project Zero | ZDNet
"So this means anyone on the internet can steal all of your passwords completely silently, as well as execute arbitrary code with zero user interaction," Ormandy wrote. "I really hope the gravity of this is clear to you, because I'm astonished about this."

Patch out for 'ridiculous' Trend Micro command execution vuln

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
I'm about to try out BitWarden thanks to @ForgottenSeer 58943 suggestion from a different thread
I only care about passwords for 2 people, so if it falls within the "free" category then all the better ;)
bitwarden has extensions for chrome and other browsers, they don't seem to have any programs that you install outside of your browser. And an android app.

If i was to pay for this service, sticky sounds like one i would go for.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
What password manager...?

It is simple, Sticky Password. And for only 1 reason, Autofill.

For sticky password to work correctly (to use autofill), i have installed Firefox on my mobile....;):D
I don't use cloud. I sync my passwords among all my devices using wifi on local network.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
What password manager...?

It is simple, Sticky Password. And for only 1 reason, Autofill.

For sticky password to work correctly (to use autofill), i have installed Firefox on my mobile....;):D
I don't use cloud. I sync my passwords among all my devices using wifi on local network.

Stickypassword has an amazing autofill for sure. So much so, I can't transition to Keepass because of it. I wish they'd add an option to sync with your own service such as a secured sync system like Sync.com or Tresorit. Bit Warden doesn't have autofill but it has click-fill and thats the most accurate click-fill I have seen to date other than Sticky.

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
i mentioned this in the sticky giveaway thread, but i'll put it here too in case it helps someone here :)

One feature bit Warden has that sticky doesn't seem to (or I haven't found yet at least) is the ability to share certain passwords with other users. Ex, I have my own bitwarden account and so does my gf. We both have our own usernames and passwords for a financial website, and sometimes log into the other person's username to do stuff. I setup my username/password for rbc.com and so does she, under our own bit Warden account. Then we put our RBC username/password on a list called "financial" and proceed to share that list with each other. If either of us ever changes username or password for RBC, the other person automatically has access to the new username or password. This beats having both people's info saved into my account and vice versa, so there's no need to remember to update things for both people whenever one person makes a change to a shared website

Unlimited Giveaway - Sticky Password 8 Premium One year License

Reactions: shukla44
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.