Advice Request What Programs Would You Use As Permanent Or Long Time Security Solution

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Do you use all applications at the same time? Because if, I think you have a slight overkill. But if it make you feel more secure so be it. :)
Hi Nevi

I like many have tried every AV or security app under the sun. Even beta tested for Symantec in the 90's but yes this is what I settled on.

Malwarebytes: I have Web protwction and Anti-Exploit turned on
Appguard : I have these set to yes in userspace.
c:\Windows\*\bitsadmin.exe
c:\Windows\*\powershell.exe
c:\Windows\*\powershell_ise.exe
c:\Windows\*\wscript.exe
c:\Windows\*\cscript.exe
c:\Windows\*\mshta.exe
c:\Windows\*\hh.exe
c:\Windows\*\wmic.exe
c:\Windows\*\scrcons.exe

Voodooshield is set to Smart Aggressive

Macrium Reflect : I only do manual full images

Shadow Defender when testing

Adguard Edge extension = on

Fort Knox Firewall: Some programs such as CCleaner blocked from trying to connect all the time.

Google Chrome: For watching Amazon movies

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
What I'm using right now. Comodo Firewall (CS settings) Wisevector 3.01
@Chuck57 I am constantly reminded of WV, so can you ascribe a trust level to the protection of the program at this point? My problem is that I use CF + FortiClient. FortiClient has the web filter which I like very much, and FortiClient can be hardened, which I have done. All this said, I am very interested in WV still. I wonder if any of the engineers ever worked on Qihoo 360 after hearing of the emphasis on behavior block technology. Thanks for any input...

Comodo Firewall (ever since v 10 maybe 8 years)
FortiClient (approx 5 years)
NVT OSArmor v1.4 (approx 5 years)

Reactions: JB007 and Nevi

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I always install an antivirus for long-term use :) I don't install it just to look at it for a couple of days and remove it. I had Avast for 5 years and I would not have changed it if it were not for critical problems when it caused "blue screens of death" every 5 minutes. After that, I had Kaspersky for 2 years, I would not have changed it either, if it were not for the problems with updating the signature databases (he simply stopped updating regularly the signature databases). At the same time, I always tried to first solve the problem in different ways - from manipulating the settings to a complete clean reinstallation of the program. And only if nothing helped, I changed it to another antivirus. Now the Eset Internet Security antivirus has been in use for almost a year, and so far no global problems have been found. Small problems are solved by manipulating the settings, but there were almost no such problems in a year.
As for other security programs besides antivirus, I always install them for a long time, and not just look. I used OSArmor for two years until it became paid. I removed the free version because I wanted to try the paid one. And then the free one was no longer available to download, it's good that yesterday on one of the forums they posted the last old version, put it again.
So my version of the programs on a permanent basis:
1) Eset Internet Security.
2) OSArmor (the last free version, or buy a one-year license for the paid version).
3) Ublock Origin in the browser as a plugin against ads.

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
I went away from Consumer-Grade Malware Protection since allot of these products have features that just bloat the PC or are a total waste of space.

I can recommend a nice network Layer protections beginning with something that is easy to setup:
- Ubiquity UDM-Pro (Firewall, Router, Switch, IDS/IPS, Port-Scanner and Geo-Block) (IDS/IPS uses ET-Signatures) Cybersecurity Solutions, Services & Training | Proofpoint <- Signatures

- Then Network Segmentation restricting traffic from and to devices plus the internet

- After all that Windows Firewall Default Deny Policy for Incoming and Outgoing Traffic for that I use F-Secure since the Firewall Logs are nice to understand.

- Anti-Malware Product in use F-Secure EPP Computer Protection - True Anti-Malware without the bloat of 100 other things that should be optional or not needed.

I criticize all the AV-Vendors since they try to cover a huge feature set and nag afterwards if some features are disabled or do not even work properly.

This is a Advanced Setup for Advanced-Home-Users or IT-Admins. it is not as easy as Plugging in a Router and just setup and forget. Ubiquiti makes it easier to Administer but you still need some knowledge how to set some things up properly or you could have some dire consequences.

Overview:
- Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
- DNS Cloudflare Free Resolver with Anti-Malware 1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2
- Cable Modem in Bridge-Mode
- Ubiquiti AP-AC-PRO WiFi
- F-Secure EPP Computer Protection
Browser Extensions:
- Ublock Origin
- F-Secure browsing protection for F-Secure EPP Computer Protection Web-Security Engine without disrupting SSL Certificates

Alternatives to Ubiquiti could be open-hardware/software Firewalls:
- Hunsun / Works with OPNsense / PFsense / Mikrotik / Untangle / Sophos SG and XG Home Edition
- Netgate / PFsense
- Deciso / opnsense

The problem with all that is how much thruput you have with given hardware and how far you can push it. I chose Ubiquiti because of the 3,5 Gbit/s thruput with IDS/IPS enabled. And so much more...

Sincerely
Val.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
@Chuck57 I am constantly reminded of WV, so can you ascribe a trust level to the protection of the program at this point? My problem is that I use CF + FortiClient. FortiClient has the web filter which I like very much, and FortiClient can be hardened, which I have done. All this said, I am very interested in WV still. I wonder if any of the engineers ever worked on Qihoo 360 after hearing of the emphasis on behavior block technology. Thanks for any input...

Comodo Firewall (ever since v 10 maybe 8 years)
FortiClient (approx 5 years)
NVT OSArmor v1.4 (approx 5 years)
I have no knowledge of the WV people or where they worked. Like you, I've been a Comodo firewall fan almost from the beginning. Now, with Cruelsister's settings, I'm even more a fan. WiseVector beta 3.01 adds HIPS and their own firewall. I don't use Comodo HIPS, and let WV's handle that end. Their firewalls don't interfere so both are working. I'm comfortable with the combination. Sorry I can't be more help. I don't test viruses, but tests I have seen here and elsewhere show WV being very good.

Regarding Forticlient, I've heard and read only good about it. Properly hardened, everything I've read says it does the job. I wouldn't feel lacking in defense using it, if I weren't sold on Comodo and WV.

simbatippe1234

Level 3
Oct 14, 2021
Adguard Desktop+Voodoo-Shield+Bitdefender Total Security+Simple Windows Hardening.
Some On Demand Scanners.
Macrium Reflect.
LastPass password manager.
Non Security: Windows Repair+WSCC+System Mechanic Pro.:)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Native Microsoft security configured to their security best practices guidelines. Fully hardened Windows and Servers are a tough nut to crack. The downside is they generally do not share best practices publicly. But that's OK. One can use Hard_Configurator if they cannot handle doing it all on their own via PowerShell.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
F-Secure Safe, Simple Windows Hardening
Outbound firewall rules from H_C and SysHardener
Norton power Eraser
NextDNS, Adguard or Ublock Origin
Macrium Home and Syncback
Processs Explorer and Autoruns
Keepass and Bitwarden

• +Reputation
Reactions: sypqys and Nevi

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I ran Defender for years with no problems.

Eset was fairly problem free.

F-Secure is similarly problem free so far.

With all of these OSArmor works in fantastic form.

My end result would be MS Defender with OSArmor (default) as a long term trouble free solution.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.