Battle What second opinion scanner should I use?

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would recommend Crystal Security as a contender for a second opinion scanner..
It is very light,and could even run beside Kaspersky in realtime should you want it to.
I am not a Zemana fan,despite the hype... If you plan to use Zam as on-demand then it is worth mentioning that even with realtime switched off it still makes almost continuous outbound connections..
Second to Crystal Security I would recommend Malwarebytes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Online: zemana - fastest scanner I've ever seen, very very high detection rate, ultra light
Offline, without internet: EEK - fast scanner, high detection rate, quite large due to large signatures

I would recommend Crystal Security as a contender for a second opinion scanner..
It is very light,and could even run beside Kaspersky in realtime should you want it to.
I am not a Zemana fan,despite the hype... If you plan to use Zam as on-demand then it is worth mentioning that even with realtime switched off it still makes almost continuous outbound connections..
Second to Crystal Security I would recommend Malwarebytes.
can crystal be used? I have seen a few reviews that showed crystal advanced checkup didnt detect anything in heavily infected VMs. I think it can be used only for file analysis, not sure how it performs now

L

Lucent Warrior

I choose other, as you already plan to buy hitman pro alert, and the others have free versions, so why not use them all?
They all have good and bad days with detection, and what one will miss most of the time is picked up by the other, so if you really want to check a machine, and do not know how to manually or just plain do not want to, then this is the best method.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
I vote for Hitman Pro.

I'm a big fan of Surfright products and have purchased both Hitman Pro.Alert and Hitman Pro. Together they offer excellent realtime and on demand scanning.

A big development is Surfright are now owned by Sophos so Hitman Pro will have access to a significantly larger cloud database which will make it even more effective than it already is.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I vote for Hitman Pro.

I'm a big fan of Surfright products and have purchased both Hitman Pro.Alert and Hitman Pro. Together they offer excellent realtime and on demand scanning.

A big development is Surfright are now owned by Sophos so Hitman Pro will have access to a significantly larger cloud database which will make it even more effective than it already is.
hitmanpro requires a license to be able to remove malwares that's why I dont like it. I rather use zemana with deep scan

King Alpha

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I voted for Zemana. Fast scanning, great detection. It really has improved over the years. With its free version, scanning and malware removal is unlimited. If you're planning to buy HitmanPro.alert then go for it. It's almost a complete package (Anti-Ransomware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Keylogger, On-Demand Scanner etc). Anyway, why not use both?

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I would suggest Zemana, excellent detection and free version available.
You can also use Eset online dcsnner, free with excellent signature, also used by pros.
As offline scanner, Emsisoft emergency Kit.
Hitmanpro I just learned is mainly used to detect malware in infected system and doesn't scan all files, mostly/only executable ones. I also recommend it but it's true that after the trial time you need a license to delete what it found.
Norton power eraser is also very good.
If you suspect you have something, I would ran a deep scan with Zemana, then Eset (enable pup, pua, archive scan), then hitmanpro, norton, adwcleaner.
Malwarebytes? Why not, but I was disappointed by it's detection in the last months.

Last edited:

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
In my case I go with Malwarebytes, since I already run Emsisoft Internet Security as my Antivirus. I also recommend Malwarebytes and always will. I work a lot with the people behind it and they are simply amazing, and so are their products.

HitmanPro and Zemana are also good, though they aren't my 1st pick (even though the people behind HitmanPro are also amazing, don't know many behind Zemana except for Twinies).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well go to the scanners that have abilities to detect valid threats.

Crystal Security and Zemana AM incorporate multi-engine cloud scanning reference so chances to detect can be more accurate.

-------------------------------------------

Other than that, you can use other tools as backup when disinfection process fail to do so.

miketan77

Level 3
Verified
Jul 24, 2014
Hi, I'm running Malwarebytes, Reason Core Security and Zemana AntiLogger on my computer as second scanner.
Reason Core Security has uninstall feature, I found out quite interesting. It also show protection score secure about your computer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.