Advice Request What Security Program Do You Keep Going Back To No Matter What?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
In the past I often would not use one product for too long, as I would feel the need to try other products. It was not an attempt to find a product with better protection, but just to satisfy my curiosity. But I've never become attached enough to any product to keep coming back to it.

Right now, I've been using 360 Total Security Premium for quite some time now and like it enough not to change antiviruses every few months. It doesn't have amazing protection (although it's not terrible either), but it's enough for me and I like that it's highly configurable. I have many different antiviruses installed on my test PC, so I can test different antiviruses on that, rather than on my main PC.
For me is not bad the 360TS. Is very good program with good signatures. If you use the sandbox and you have Bidefender traficlight to the browser, is very secure

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It's a total bloat in my opinion, and the company itself is someone I wouldn't trust.
You can block the bloat .I know how to use it very well. I I've used it for many years without any problems.

itself is someone I wouldn't trust.
And who can you trust? Google? Microsoft? facebook? Kaspersky? Avast? When you go online you don't trust anyone ;)

Comodo, but since i fell in love with bitdefender free i doubt im going back anytime soon
This time I tried the Bitdefender free I was impressed. One year before i found many problems. Now is very light, slightly better signatures, and your system is not frozen with updates nad etc

B

BVLon

And who can you trust? Google? Microsoft? facebook? Kaspersky? Avast? When you go online you don't trust anyone ;)
I have reduced the amount of info that goes online drastically in the last couple of years. Some companies are dodgier than others and Qihoo is one of them. I don't care how many vulnerabilities their team discovers or how many engines their product combines. I personally (emphasis on personally) will never install 360. It's UI looks like a second-grade kid made couple of drawings and the language is full of mistakes. There is no documentation on any of the software features and many of them don't work as expected. Support is missing. Product updates are extremely frequent, which clearly shows the number of bugs they've got. All in all, this is just another piece of (I don't want to say what) that combines useless utilities (optimisers, driver updaters) with a heavy and recently diminished antivirus engine. Paying to remove ads and get themes is ridiculous as well. The extreme lack of professionalism is something I will never overcome.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
67231466_3079676165406333_2328525380043931648_n.png

After Qihoo 360 TS, Norton Security, Tencent PC Manager, F-Secure SAFE, Quick Heal Antivirus Pro, Internet Security and Total Security, I found K7 serving my needs best (light, unobstrusive, built-in firewall, signatures are updated hourly under the week, weekend after some hours, in-app-upgrades of the software without the need for user action, sometimes a reboot).
It might not have the potent Behaviour Blocker Quick Heal has, but they both ramp up signatures and Behaviour Blocker recently (i remember v15 way weaker than the current v16), it comes with an customizable firewall (even if I'd wish it wouldn't autotrust Windows services), and is light as a feather on my two machines.
Only had a quick glance on Bitdefender and Kaspersky long time ago, and more recently Vipre, which was heavy.

B

BVLon

View attachment 235169

After Qihoo 360 TS, Norton Security, Tencent PC Manager, F-Secure SAFE, Quick Heal Antivirus Pro, Internet Security and Total Security, I found K7 serving my needs best (light, unobstrusive, built-in firewall, signatures are updated hourly under the week, weekend after some hours, in-app-upgrades of the software without the need for user action, sometimes a reboot).
It might not have the potent Behaviour Blocker Quick Heal has, but they both ramp up signatures and Behaviour Blocker recently (i remember v15 way weaker than the current v16), it comes with an customizable firewall (even if I'd wish it wouldn't autotrust Windows services), and is light as a feather on my two machines.
Only had a quick glance on Bitdefender and Kaspersky long time ago, and more recently Vipre, which was heavy.
Quick Heal's behavioural blocker was a joke before... this is the first time I hear someone calling it potent and giving it as a reference. Am I really missing something? Also, I've never tried K7, I need to have a look.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Quick Heal's behavioural blocker was a joke before... this is the first time I hear someone calling it potent and giving it as a reference. Am I really missing something? Also, I've never tried K7, I need to have a look.
Have a look in the Hub, I tested it quite some time (or here: User Feedback - Quick Heal Antivirus Pro v18.00 - A review by Der.Reisende)
Of course 9/10 times it was infected, as their signatures remain a joke, that's why I switched to K7 after my QH license expired.
Both K7 and QH are used with custom settings, for best protection, so basic results might differ.

K7 is still quite weak to ransomware (last line of defense is Data Locker), and scripts are often undetected (however, it blocks injection to regsvr32).
I tweaked it to not let certain processes call out (wscript, powershell, explorer, though i noticed hollowed explorer.exe still managed to call out sometimes).

B

BVLon

Have a look in the Hub, I tested it quite some time (or here: User Feedback - Quick Heal Antivirus Pro v18.00 - A review by Der.Reisende)
Of course 9/10 times it was infected, as their signatures remain a joke, that's why I switched to K7 after my QH license expired.
Both K7 and QH are used with custom settings, for best protection, so basic results might differ.

K7 is still quite weak to ransomware (last line of defense is Data Locker), and scripts are often undetected (however, it blocks injection to regsvr32).
I tweaked it to not let certain processes call out (wscript, powershell, explorer, though i noticed hollowed explorer.exe still managed to call out sometimes).
Scripts remain a vulnerable spot to all solutions. K7 if I am not mistaken, and I am lazy to check now, was second best after Eset on Av-Comparatives's performance test (not the current one, but the one before). However, I am not really sure that the company has enough resources to do it job properly, as users are lacking... Also, the prices that they charge are absurd considering 7/10 people haven't even heard about the company. I can still give them a try though.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Scripts remain a vulnerable spot to all solutions. K7 if I am not mistaken, and I am lazy to check now, was second best after McAfee on Av-Comparatives's performance test (not the current one, but the one before). However, I am not really sure that the company has enough resources to do it job properly, as users are lacking... Also, the prices that they charge are absurd considering 7/10 people haven't even heard about the company. I can still give them a try though.
For personal use, I don't need wscript. With some exceptions, K7 HIPS detected the AutoRuns right after wscript tried setting some, but I noticed it did detect them sometimes after, out of sudden, too, when I was still testing in the HUB (currently very busy, so I still give the packs a try, but only personally). With wscript / powershell blocked by firewall, the samples either crash or are gone after reboot because not in AutoRun.
Actually, they add those scripts after SUD, the recent #17 pack was detected 17/17 a day after I submitted, I checked it the evening after submission, as I found time then.

I purchased my 2 lic (1 seat each, 3y) on eBay, as by the time I decided to buy their online shop was broken.
Quick Heal is also very pricey on the European market (I did not find a spot but their online shop to purchase a lic), that's why I did not renew.

B

BVLon

For personal use, I don't need wscript. With some exceptions, K7 HIPS detected the AutoRuns right after wscript tried setting some, but I noticed it did detect them sometimes after, out of sudden, too, when I was still testing in the HUB (currently very busy, so I still give the packs a try, but only personally). With wscript / powershell blocked by firewall, the samples either crash or are gone after reboot because not in AutoRun.
Actually, they add those scripts after SUD, the recent #17 pack was detected 17/17 a day after I submitted, I checked it the evening after submission, as I found time then.

I purchased my 2 lic (1 seat each, 3y) on eBay, as by the time I decided to buy their online shop was broken.
Quick Heal is also very pricey on the European market (I did not find a spot but their online shop to purchase a lic), that's why I did not renew.
Both companies are Indian if I am not mistaken?

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I keep going back to Kaskersky. I like the automatization. I don't have to worry about processors, and decide whether or not to allow or block the processor etc. In my opinion Kaspersky is one of the must trusted AV-companies out there, alongside couple of others.
I agree,and a separate post by me would have been very similar

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I respect yours and everyone else's choice, but there is no way I will not say it... Jeesus Christ Xxx
This is one seriously messed up product, where the term "German Quality" just can't be applied without shame. GData never got anything in their software right, and while it has for sure got better now, it is still lighting years behind many other vendors. The "Meine Daten bleiben in Deutschland" statement is cool tho.
Jeesus Christ Xxx ??? what does this mean to your answer? Seeing you criticize his choice of Gdata ,I am going to criticize your choice of slander,though you may not really know what this means.Hope this might help gl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.