Advice Request What Security Program Do You Keep Going Back To No Matter What?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Ram usage is high but very light in daily use.

Indeed. And its web filter doesn't cover all browsers.

their cleanup process which forcefully unhide hidden files till the pc is restarted.

I don't think I ever had anything it cleaned up, so I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

B

BVLon

Yeah it's great indeed. Ram usage is high but very light in daily use. What I don't like is their cleanup process which forcefully unhide hidden files till the pc is restarted. Otherwise very good.
Many products do that, because some viruses hide the extensions and disable viewing of hidden files. Or at least they’ve done it ages ago. Because they just keep adding up to some definitions, new threats get mixed with old and the product performs actions that are no longer necessary.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I respect yours and everyone else's choice, but there is no way I will not say it... Jeesus Christ Xxx
This is one seriously messed up product, where the term "German Quality" just can't be applied without shame. GData never got anything in their software right, and while it has for sure got better now, it is still lighting years behind many other vendors. The "Meine Daten bleiben in Deutschland" statement is cool tho.
Probably your opinion is the only truth in your mind, but please stop to spread that kind of BS, nobody needs your polemics no matter it's meant as joke ;)

The statement "My data remaining in Germany" isn't really different to other AV vendors around the world, all claiming about the importance of privacy but that's impossible nowadays by performing cloud analysis by almost every AV...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I don't think I ever had anything it cleaned up, so I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
I mean after Bitdefender removes a malware automatically enables show extension of file types option and don't let users tick on the show hidden files option till the PC is restarted. The first one is ok since I enabled that anyway but the second one bothers me.
Many products do that, because some viruses hide the extensions and disable viewing of hidden files. Or at least they’ve done it ages ago. Because they just keep adding up to some definitions, new threats get mixed with old and the product performs actions that are no longer necessary.
I don't think many products do this anymore. Can't remember seeing this in any other products in recent time. Trend Micro used to do the same few years ago then I reported this to them and in the next yearly released version they fixed the hidden folders option thing. I don't know whether they considered this after my reporting or they already had this in their plan.

B

BVLon

I mean after Bitdefender removes a malware automatically enables show extension of file types option and don't let users tick on the show hidden files option till the PC is restarted. The first one is ok since I enabled that anyway but the second one bothers me.

I don't think many products do this anymore. Can't remember seeing this in any other products in recent time. Trend Micro used to do the same few years ago then I reported this to them and in the next yearly released version they fixed the hidden folders option thing. I don't know whether they considered this after my reporting or they already had this in their plan.
Norton's doing it too.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
What Security Program Do You Keep Going Back To Know Matter What?

uBO.

I've abandoned uBO multiple times.... for AdGuard Desktop, for Ghostery, for combinations of other things...

And on most computers, I add it back.

I'm not claiming uBO is better -- in fact I'm starting to think that both of the aforementioned capabilities *could* be better. Of course, that's all based on how much expertise you develop in whichever program you use. All can be excellent.

I just prefer using it -- on its own, or with other stuff. Once you get to be a mid-level uBO user -- it's pretty capable.

1584894382284.png

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I have reduced the amount of info that goes online drastically in the last couple of years. Some companies are dodgier than others and Qihoo is one of them. I don't care how many vulnerabilities their team discovers or how many engines their product combines. I personally (emphasis on personally) will never install 360. It's UI looks like a second-grade kid made couple of drawings and the language is full of mistakes. There is no documentation on any of the software features and many of them don't work as expected. Support is missing. Product updates are extremely frequent, which clearly shows the number of bugs they've got. All in all, this is just another piece of (I don't want to say what) that combines useless utilities (optimisers, driver updaters) with a heavy and recently diminished antivirus engine. Paying to remove ads and get themes is ridiculous as well. The extreme lack of professionalism is something I will never overcome.
Everyone has his opinion, and I have my own. And with years of experience in this product. I would put it back on my system if needed.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Emsisoft really attract me.very light great BB no bloatware ad excellent customer support.they focus on improving their protection and stability instead of adding useless features
it didnot fail me before. i tried it in 2017 since they converted to fully AV and found myself stuck to it

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I respect yours and everyone else's choice
No....you don't. It seams that you have quite a lot of knowledge and experience but for me it happens to often that you make a fuss if someone "dares" have another opinion than you.
Going back to topic...I would back to Look'n'Stop, Online Armor, Neoava Guard and Threatfire. Actually I can still do this except NG due to some weird system incompatibility.

B

BVLon

No....you don't. It seams that you have quite a lot of knowledge and experience but for me it happens to often that you make a fuss if someone "dares" have another opinion than you.
Going back to topic...I would back to Look'n'Stop, Online Armor, Neoava Guard and Threatfire. Actually I can still do this except NG due to some weird system incompatibility.
I just hope that devs read them comments and I criticise the products as you see, not the people using them. However there are products that users should learn to stay away of. Unlike many people here on this forum, who blindly defend one AV, I have explored quite a huge list of them and I have mentioned pros and cons, and who will they be perfect for. I am not repeating “Norton”, “Norton” like a zombie.
Any claim that I make is well supported. There are other people who try to play smart and force their incompetent opinion on others, such as the thread that I saw recently that TotalAV is a scam (I wasn’t tagged, but it was clearly and passive-aggresive addressed to me), when I dug to the bottom of the company and found out it is not. It’s just a cheap and ineffective garbage. This kind of opinions will obviously be met with a fuss. If we won’t be telling the truth, it’s better we don’t say anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.