Advice Request What security solution do MT users use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I appreciate your input very much. I read that this tech savvy man did disable and so I told myself to disable it as well.

UAC - Quick notes on why I disable it. - TweakHound
I can understand why the author of the article disabled UAC. But I got the feeling he also understands the benefits of UAC.

I think it's a bit dangerous for others to easily imitate just that conclusion. The author also states in the article, 'This is my personal opinion and I do not intend to recommend it to others.'

It's like your parents who worry and call you every time you go out. It's similar in that it's annoying and makes you want to avoid it.
My fear with UAC is that it can get used to allowing. That's why I always try to remember my original intentions when dealing with UAC warnings.:)

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
I'm worried about the annual defense budgeto_O💰

Deals can be found….. the Emsisoft keys are from a few years ago, still have 3-4 years left. Very VERY inexpensive at the time.

F Secure…. Along with the free extensions that were going around last winter, mine got hit, although I think I ended up snagging, or keeping an extra 6 months or an extra year on those. Also, Al from @SerialCart, treats us VERY well. (plain old internet security is WAY cheaper. I have a couple years of 5 users sitting im my subscriptions at Serialcart.

As for ESET…. I only use 1 seat, my desktop, as I love the antispam, and have 106,000 spam addresses collected on it. And the ESET keys usually come from NewEgg. (sorry Al)

And Comodo Firewall is free!

Peace y’all ✌️

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Out of interest I installed K7 Total today - I used it a few years ago not much has changed it does seem to look better, on thing if you use a VPN is the option 'deep network inspection' maybe will cut your internet speed using the VPN considerably but K7 isn't alone in that regard. Seems quite light after it's initial install & run a scan. Will probably keep it on & see how it goes, not many reviews on it & the minus points seem to be mainly the GUI etc. The GUI is actually pretty good & intuitive after a few mins certainly more that some AV's it wasn't expensive as I had an offer from them as a past customer.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Just switched off my old setup, the new Avira still has too many bugs and Comodo has always been buggy.
so right now im giving

Kaspersky Free
NVT OsArmor 1.4.3
Windows Firewall Controll

A spin and so far im very happy, no bugs......so far.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Avast Free (switched from KSC and Bitdefender Free given performance impact)
Firewall App Blocker
Firefox tweaked with Multi-Account Containers, ETP
Adguard for Desktop (lifetime license, large discount, also used for a laptop and phone)
Aomei Backup (lifetime license, large discount), daily incremental (I don't have space for differentials), monthly full; also, backups of data files and programs in other drives
Google Drive backup of some data files (uni account and another, lifetime and given free, but no more unli storage) used with SyncBack Free; some files zipped with password
KeePassXC
Some important files that don't change backed up to blank DVDs and printed out

Scirious

Level 2
Feb 22, 2022
I believe I'm in paranoid mode. :eek:

After recent changes, I'm using the following:

DNS: ControlD
Resident Protection: Norton 360 Premium + Simple Windows Hardening + Spyshelter Firewall + VoodooShiled + OSArmor
Password Manager: 1Password
Browser: Edge + uBlock Origin
Backup: Files (Backblaze + iDrive, which I'll probably cancel); System Imaging (both AOMEI Backupper + Macrium Reflet in their paid versions). Hoping to have enough redundancy in case one option fails.

Strangely enough, everything is running right and light on my system.

Well, I did make some changes. For backup, I stayed with Backblaze. I only need to backup one computer anyway, and I won't have the risk of going over my quota limit. Aside from that, I already have OneDrive included with my Office subscription, and it is syncing my main desktop folders. And I also have AOMEI Backupper Pro and Macrium Reflec Home for system imaging and local file synchronization.

The main changes were with resident protection that now is with F-Secure SAFE + Cruel Comodo + Appcheck, and that is it.

minhgi

Level 2
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
KIS and SEP together (plus chrome extension) for 7 months on multiple computers at home. (tested many security software combination before final settling on these two). Probably going get blasted by antivirus peers. LOL
WiseVector and LMT OnDemand scan
Adguard Home on router and browsers
Acronis and migrating to macrium reflect

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
What were the issues?
Well, I didn't feel I gave K7 a fair hearing so I reinstalled it. I got a quite fast reply from support regarding Deep Network Monitor & extreme VPN slowdown & they said some VPN's wont work at all - Seems unchecking the option wont cause problems - Of course other members may have differing views on this but for now it's unchecked & they said it is an advanced setting - As for protection it's maybe not the best but as good as others I've been happy with so going to give it a good run. Its is very light & if it matters it's a small install &the total opposite of bloated, still running OSArmor. Seems on here few use it & I would be interested on others views :);)

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I didn't actually uninstall K7 as such I imaged back with Reflect - However I'm also interested how K7 actually uninstalls so I'll give it a go tomorrow as I can image back to it working afterward which is my usual way of trying AV's out - It installs quickly with no problems. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.