What should Avast do with CCleaner backdoor?

What should Avast do to satisfy people affected by the CCleaner Trojan infection.

• Nothing. Avast is just the owner.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Provide a specific removal tool, because Talos (security experts) advise image recovery

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • Provide a give away or discount for the Avast paid version

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Provide a give away or discount for the CCleaner paid version

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other please specify

Votes: 14 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Avast could be more transparent about the circumstances of the Ccleaner incident and release more information. The way everything happened kind of looks like an insider job, IMO. But giving away discounts would be more to appease the fanboys; all you need is to uninstall the software.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
The trust issue is really interesting me. The poll of Umbra relating to CCleaner backdoor shows that 50% has lost faith in Piriform.

Taking into account that this forum is a gathering of security aware PC users. I am really curious how this incident will fire back on the trust of average PC users. When CCleaner download numbers decline the value of Piriform for Avast reduces with the same percentage.

I have discussed VoodooShield with Ondrej of Avast and use VS AI for business market because Microsoft's Windows Defender is really becoming a strong contender in the free AV consumer market.

Avast did a test with VS and said it had to many False Positives for the consumer market. We (Dan and I) said they should not use white listing for consumer market, but for business/corporate market.

Ondrej was convinced that with third party products (like CCleaner)they could attract enough users for Avast AV. The CCleaner incident may hurt their strategy.

Fun fact (you can ask Dan to verify): 20% of the False Positives were actually malware when Dan did manual analysis.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
The trust issue is really interesting me. The poll of Umbra relating to CCleaner backdoor shows that 50% has lost faith in Piriform.

Taking into account that this forum is a gathering of security aware PC users. I am really curious how this incident will fire back on the trust of average PC users. When CCleaner download numbers decline the value of Piriform for Avast reduces with the same percentage.

I have discussed VoodooShield with Ondrej of Avast and use VS AI for business market because Microsoft's Windows Defender is really becoming a strong contender in the free AV consumer market.

Avast did a test with VS and said it had to many False Positives for the consumer market. We (Dan and I) said they should not use white listing for consumer market, but for business/corporate market.

Ondrej was convinced that with third party products (like CCleaner)they could attract enough users for Avast AV. The CCleaner incident may hurt their strategy.

Fun fact (you can ask Dan to verify): 20% of the False Positives were actually malware when Dan did manual analysis.

The Avast guys are great… very smart and a lot of fun to communicate with. I think we could have done some amazing things together, if we would have come to a consensus on a few key items.

Speaking in general… very general, here is what I believe is wrong with the AV industry. From what I understand, the majority of the AV industry is preoccupied with limiting false positives as much as possible.

That would be perfectly fine, except…

1. For some odd reason, AV companies would like to find a way to render a safe verdict on all keyloggers, cracks, patches, etc. There are already several for VS, and I could care less, but either way, these types of files show malicious intent just by their very nature. We should not have to retrain our ML/Ai machines to call these types of files safe, when the authors have proven themselves to not be trustworthy.

2. When AV companies analyze files, they are executed in a sandbox / malware analysis system, and a lot of times the sandbox does not have the necessary dependencies to actually execute the malicious code. As a result, the file is determined to be safe, when in fact it is not. If the payload did not explode in the sandbox due to a missing dependency, that certainly does not mean that the file is safe.

3. Probably the most important is this… when AV test labs test AV products, they test using KNOWN samples.

What about the unknown malware? Sure, Ai is pretty good with detecting unknown malware… but what if there were a whole class of malware that everyone is missing?

Just lock the computer when it is at risk.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.