Advice Request What software is available to batch crop/edit a large amount photos

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Can you guys recommend software where I can crop one, or two images and it do a batch process where it essentially copies the actions of the first crop (it is over 1000 medical images from a scan), so manually doing it would take forever. They were supposed to be in .dcm (DICOM) format but I got .jpeg. The disc doesn't have a DICOMDIR. I need to remove the top 1/6th of each photo to remove PHI. I do not want to misstate it - but if I recall correctly - did IrFanView have security issues in the distant past?
The pictures are on a disc that I copy/pasted into a folder on my PC. I tried a PACS/Radiology viewer but you can only view/export 1 at a time.

Features desired:
-Batch crop
-Removal of PHI (remove DISOM/EXIF/Image info/metadata) even if need to convert to .PNG
-Minimal loss of image quality
-Conversion to PNG

I'm on Windows 10 Home v 2004 x64-bit.

Thank you!!!

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
That was my question. VT flagged it from 1 vendor as malicious and hybrid-analysis labeled it as suspicious. Was curious if it is safe and if this is a FP? I found this from Sophos: IrfanView - Viruses and Spyware - Advanced Network Threat Protection | ATP from Targeted Malware Attacks and Persistent Threats | sophos.com - Threat Center
1 red flag in VirusTotal means it is clean, it is to be expected that one or two of the lesser known AV engines will flag it. This is true as long as the file was first submitted several days ago, giving the major AV companies time to analyze it. It is the weekend now, so analysis will take longer than on a weekday.

Upvote 0

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
1 red flag in VirusTotal means it is clean, it is to be expected that one or two of the lesser known AV engines will flag it. This is true as long as the file was first submitted several days ago, giving the major AV companies time to analyze it. It is the weekend now, so analysis will take longer than on a weekday.
Thanks man, I submitted it a week ago but it was Yandex (VT link). I thought this may be a FP. Can be hard to interpret VT and hybrid-analysis. Thanks for the reassurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex and shmu26
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks man, I submitted it a week ago but it was Yandex (VT link). I thought this may be a FP. Can be hard to interpret VT and hybrid-analysis. Thanks for the reassurance.
Yeah, I personally would install it without any worry. Even the one engine that flagged it only says that it is "risk"ware. There are more severe categories than that.
Furthermore, Irfanview is well known, so if you got it from the official site, you are good, unless they were hacked, which does happen but is kind of rare.
Just sharing my thoughts, to help you interpret VT results in the future.

Upvote 1

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014

@sepik and @ichito Thanks for this suggestion. I found XnViewMP/XnView and it did what I needed! I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

@shmu26 This is a good perspective. I like how you explained how to interpret VT and similar results at more than face value and learned something new. The fact that it such a popular software on a reputable site also speaks to this. I will remember this if I run into similar situations in the future.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.