Advice Request What Streaming Service Do You Use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Tidal hi-fi, Spotify premium to when I fart around with earphones. I also watch many videos on YouTube. These days alot of it is in a really good quality. I wait impatiently on Qobuzz as I also live in Denmark. :)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
been using Spotify for some years... ...but they been offering 320kb/s only. After lossless/CD audio (*.flac/*.wav) came up and was available for streaming, i switched to Deezer.

Reactions: Nevi

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
been using Spotify for some years... ...but they been offering 320kb/s only. After lossless/CD audio (*.flac/*.wav) came up and was available for streaming, i switched to Deezer.
There are good news. Tidal normal premium, is now lossless, and cost only $9.99 USD a month with standard sound quality (1411 Kbps).
I have just downgraded my account. "Hifi plus". I don't care about MQA and atmos and whatever. So now lossless cost the same as Spotify. Spotify
will also start lossless sometime in 2022. So good news for us music freaks. 👍
But if you prefer Deezer fine.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
^^^yes, indeed these are good news (y)

I grew up with music in CD quality (1411 kbps)... ...and i never really liked this IMO quite 'low' bitrate of 320 kbs that streaming sites have been offering for music in the past years. So i was very happy to see that now you can enjoy music in (true/old style/'classic') CD quality or above. There is also Hi-Res audio (higher sampling rate) but currently i dont have any compatible hardware for this quality.

In its simplest terms, hi-res audio tends to refer to music files that have a higher sampling frequency and/or bit depth than CD, which is specified at 16-bit/44.1kHz.

Sampling frequency (or sample rate) refers to the number of times samples of the signal are taken per second during the analogue-to-digital conversion process. The more bits there are, the more accurately the signal can be measured in the first instance, so going 16bit to 24bit can deliver a noticeable leap in quality. Hi-res audio files usually use a sampling frequency of 96kHz or 192kHz at 24bit. You can also have 88.2kHz and 176.4kHz files too.

Hi-res audio does come with a downside though: file size. A hi-res file can typically be tens of megabytes in size, and a few tracks can quickly eat up the storage on your device or be cumbersome to stream over your wi-fi or mobile network. Thankfully, storage is much cheaper than it used to be, so it's easier to get higher-capacity devices. And technologies such as MQA (see below) have arrived to help tackle that.

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
None. Downloaded all I could years ago, then digitized all my old CD's and albums, everything on my computer now, have all I need. Haven't listened to any "new" music in 15 years.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
^^^yes, indeed these are good news (y)

I grew up with music in CD quality (1411 kbps)... ...and i never really liked this IMO quite 'low' bitrate of 320 kbs that streaming sites have been offering for music in the past years. So i was very happy to see that now you can enjoy music in (true/old style/'classic') CD quality or above. There is also Hi-Res audio (higher sampling rate) but currently i dont have any compatible hardware for this quality.

I admit I can't really hear the difference on so called MQA files, and lossless. So no need to throw pearls for swines. 😂
I'm fine as long I can hear the music in CD quality. It has maybe something to do with my age, high tones and all that. 🙄

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
two quite 'fresh' reviews of losssless streaming services (from Nov 18, 2021 and from July 17, 2021):

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.