Advice Request What uBlock Origin for Chromium Edge

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

The Biel

Thread author
Jun 20, 2020
G'day

I've been a user of Google Chrome for many years with either NoScript, ScriptSafe or latterly uBlock Origin installed. I'm currently installing Chromium Edge with a view to switching browsers, but I'm not sure what uBlock Origin to install - the one from the Chrome Web Store or the Microsoft one. Not sure if there are any differences between them, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
G'day

I've been a user of Google Chrome for many years with either NoScript, ScriptSafe or latterly uBlock Origin installed. I'm currently installing Chromium Edge with a view to switching browsers, but I'm not sure what uBlock Origin to install - the one from the Chrome Web Store or the Microsoft one. Not sure if there are any differences between them, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I would go for chrome version... The author is gorhill, in microsoft store the author have other nick. Original is always better XD

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
In the present moment Nik Rolls seems to not be interfering with ublock origi. It's the same version of the chrome version. It seems Nik Rolls is only updating it to Microsoft store. As you can see, both ublock are in version 1.27.10. And in the microsoft version is also listed Gorhill github

I'm using ublock from Microsoft, as any other extension i can download from there, cause it is certified by microsoft.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
Nik Rolls was the maintainer of the legacy Edge version of uBlock Origin before Edge became Chromium based. The developer of uBlock Origin, Raymond Hill (gorhill), did not support the legacy version of Edge, so Nik Rolls made a fork of it with some changes for it to work on legacy Edge. This is an official fork. That's why uBlock Origin from the Microsoft Edge Add-Ons store says Nik Rolls as the author instead of Raymond Hill/gorhill.

Now that Edge is Chromium based, the Microsoft Edge Add-Ons store just pulls the version from the Chrome Web Store so they should be on the same version.

Sources: 1, 2, 3

With that said, I just use the version from the Chrome Web Store since I use other add-ons from it.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

As Gorhill don't care about Edge (that's why this version under different dev still exist), I switch to AdGuard (and other reason) so I don't need to allow external Chrome store.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
As Gorhill don't care about Edge (that's why this version under different dev still exist), I switch to AdGuard (and other reason) so I don't need to allow external Chrome store.

Hey @security123 . Idk if that is the reason why Microsoft version still exist. It's a official fork of ublock, and since New Edge debut, it has been updated following the Chrome version. I don't believe there any difference between both in the present moment. Maybe Nik Rolls is still the current dev, just because he was already registered as so.

Anyway, i would reconsider using Adguard as a recent test showed this results...

1592755283125.png

You can check more here

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Maybe Nik Rolls is still the current dev, just becaus
It's because Gorhill doesn't care about Edge (old and new). Only Chrome and Firefox.
You can verify that on his GitHub repository under issues.

Also I don't care about some Ms slower or faster response time as AdGuard had still better UI and I also use DNS which block most stuff on DNS level - even if that doesn't works so good in future as we know from fast. Keyword CNAME and moving third party ads+tracker to first party.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
1 sec = 1000 ms. Those tests look nice, but in the real life, the difference is hardly noticeable (half a sec at most), many webpages load from 5-10 secs.

Yes, the difference shouldn't be noticeable. However, i used adguard for more than a month on EDGE, and when i came back to ublock, it is very noticeable how ublock is lighter (with the same filters). So much that i stop using adguard and choose ublock again.

Anyway, even if i couldn't notice the difference, i don't see any strong reason to come back to adguard in the present moment. ublock can use the same filters and is easier to config in specific pages. The main reason i was using Adguard was for the stealthy mode, but it started to cause me some trouble, and some functions were not working very well.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Sadly, this is why I recently put AdGuard away. It's a great security layer but seemingly out of the blue would become inactive (twice causing me to have to reinstall it) or the Stealth mode would mysteriously be toggled to "off" when I never even touched it (happened twice also, to my recollections). uBlock Origin is much more reliable for me.

I don't know about webpages loading in 5-10 seconds--that would drive me nuts. Chromium Edge w/uBO opens in under a second now, down from 1-2 sec, so it can be noticeable with a change in configuration. So this is consistent with the statement that 1/2 second and more is humanly noticeable. (y)

That Wilders uBO thread, it's excellent, with the latest info and populated by experts. I got some great info there recently, with very little time invested on my part. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.