Battle What would be a Lightweight Security Suite?

Compare list
Avira internet security
Eset internet security
Zonealarm extreme security
Panda dome
Comodo internet security
Other ...?
In-depth Comparison

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
Hi, looking for security suite - have tried actually payed versions of:
Kaspersky internet security
Emsisoft antimalware
Bitdefender internet security
Norton security
The problem on this mashine is with performance (even with not default settings) od with updates (slowing down) - want to try anything other být dont know-how what to choose- please help mě decide:)

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
AVC ScorePC Mark ScoreImpact Score
1.ESET9099.70.3
2.K79099.50.5
3.VIPRE9099.40.6
4.McAfee9099.20.8
5.Tencent9098.71.3
6.Total Defense8898.63.4
7.Avast, AVG8598.86.2
8.Symantec8598.66.4
9.Panda8598.46.6
10.Kaspersky Lab8399.17.9
11.Bitdefender8398.78.3
12.F-Secure8099.610.4
13.Trend Micro8096.313.7
14.Avira7598.916.1
15.Microsoft6597.727.3

This is the 2019 results from AV comparatives site, I have Eset on one of my computers,and indeed it"s very light,you can find very affordable license on e-bay or if you want a free trial.Webroot is a known very light program,but not recommended by many except PC magazine,

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Very inaccurate statement. Both products offer great protection accompanied with user's safe habits.
I don't think so, Panda is very weak, you must add VS or OSArmor to be fully protected, as for Eset, very good signatures but weak for zero day threats as BB doesn't work quite well.Ok,if you have safe habits on internet, maybe are more than enough, but there are better suites out there especially when one of them,Eset, has no free version.

Last edited:

tlacenka

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
I don't think so, Panda is very weak, you must add VS or OSArmor to be fully protected, as for Eset, very good signatures but weak for zero day threats as BB doesn't work quite well.Ok,if you have safe habits on internet, maybe are more than enough, but there are better suites out there especially when one of them,Eset, has no free version.

which suites are better ? thx for right direction :)

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
If i would buy a security suite i choose McAfee internet security ( or antivirus plus)
I have tested Mcafee for 6 months (license) and it was very light, but i think i go further with a free AV because i need the money for something else :)

For me,talking about lightness I would choose Avira or Mcafee suites, are lightweight these days and offer good protection,Avira maybe better.
Avira is heavy in this chart (see screenshot, just behind Microsoft)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Under no circumstances would I describe ESET as weak - If you are looking for the best performance together with the best protection from my point of view its ESET. Maybe it hasn't done as well as some in some 'recent tests' but it's still a first class AV system & has been for many years.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
Use windows defender for a while to see how it performes on your PC. I tried most of internet security packs and everyone slowed down my PC or internet but ESET. If you want 3rd party AV then go for ESET, but i would try windows defender first.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I've been using Windows Defender for the last six months. I think there isn't so much difference between the leading security suites. Most of my friends have been using Avast, Eset and none of them have been infected so far in the last five years. A good suitte that runs good on your PC is a good bet. After a week, you get a good idea about the qualities and bugs of a suite.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Try McAfee, it's super light and offers good protection. They've done a great job with it, this is something I would never say years ago.
For me,talking about lightness I would choose Avira or Mcafee suites, are lightweight these days and offer good protection,Avira maybe better.
If i would buy a security suite i choose McAfee internet security ( or antivirus plus)
I have tested Mcafee for 6 months (license) and it was very light, but i think i go further with a free AV because i need the money for something else :)

Avira is heavy in this chart (see screenshot, just behind Microsoft)

Mcafee is super light indeed but I can't say much about its protection because I started using it recently. What I can tell is that they take ages to add signatures. I have sent them a sample 4 days ago and it is still not added to their signatures.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
PAnda- Garbage.
Comodo- Runner up after Panda.
Mcafee, Eset are light, however have their issues. Lighter doesn't means adequate protection and vice versa.
F secure is alright..install and share your opinion
Norton is light and powerful, however too many many Fp's.Trashes almost every new file as (Heur.Adv.ml.b) depending on Community score and file insight

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.