Question What's best anti-virus/malware software is to buy for Mac?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

4katzsnme

Thread author
May 29, 2024
I only use a Mac. I'm overwhelmed with all info about best anti-virus/malware software is to buy. Can you help me decide? I'm so confused.

I was using McAfee for a long time, Then I tried out AVAST on a free-trial, but was not sure it was what I needed on Mac. Upselling was annoying. Had some difficulty removing it. Now I keep getting notices from unknown sources that I am infected with malware. I have tried to remove all of the antivirus software I have installed in the past. I am not a expert techie so I am overwhelmed and do not know where to go now.

Reactions: Nevi and Jack

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Certainly! Choosing the right antivirus/malware software can be quite daunting, especially with the abundance of options available. Here are some recommendations tailored for Mac users, along with some key points to consider:

Recommended Antivirus/Malware Software for Mac​

1. Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac
    • Pros: Excellent malware detection rates, minimal impact on system performance, easy-to-use interface.
    • Cons: Premium features come with a higher cost.
  2. Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac
    • Pros: Strong malware detection, minimal impact on performance, includes privacy tools.
    • Cons: Kaspersky has faced some controversy; however, it remains a highly effective tool.
  3. Malwarebytes for Mac
    • Pros: Excellent at detecting and removing adware and malware, lightweight and fast.
    • Cons: Free version only offers on-demand scanning; real-time protection requires premium upgrade.

Tips for Choosing and Using Antivirus Software​

1. Assess Your Needs: Determine whether you need comprehensive internet security with additional features (e.g., VPN, parental controls) or just basic malware protection.
  2. Ease of Use: Look for software with a user-friendly interface, especially if you're not a tech expert.
  3. Performance Impact: Ensure the software doesn’t significantly slow down your Mac.
  4. Customer Support: Check if the vendor offers reliable customer support in case you run into issues.
  5. Avoid Upselling: Some software, like AVAST, is known for aggressive upselling. Look for reviews mentioning this to avoid frustration.

Additional Steps​

1. Uninstall Previous Antivirus Software: Ensure all remnants of previous antivirus programs are removed to prevent conflicts. Most antivirus vendors offer dedicated uninstall tools on their websites.
  2. Stay Updated: Keep your macOS and antivirus software up to date to protect against the latest threats.
  3. Be Wary of Fake Alerts: Notices from unknown sources claiming your device is infected are often scams. Only trust alerts from your installed antivirus software.
By considering these factors and reviewing the recommended options, you should be able to find an antivirus/malware solution that fits your needs and provides peace of mind.

Reactions: Jack

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Now I keep getting notices from unknown sources that I am infected with malware. I have tried to remove all of the antivirus software I have installed in the past. I am not a expert techie so I am overwhelmed and do not know where to go now.
Can you share more details about your Mac and installed apps? A screenshot to help us understand the problem. It could be Adware notifications via the Browser.

If you suspect your PC is infected, visit Mac Malware Removal Help & Support

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.