What's wrong with Bitdefender 2018 version?

Jester

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 21, 2017
I've been using Bitdefender Internet Security for 2 years with no complains at all. BIS2017 worked like a charm, almost flawless, maybe a bit heavy sometimes during updating but i felt very secure and happy about my core security. Until Bitdefender decided that users should be forced to update to 2018 version via automatic updates and experience the buggiest version of an AV ever... Bitdefender forum is full of frustrated users and complains about 2018 version: High CPU usage, high HDD usage, services not loading, firewall issues, firewall permits every app, quick scan that takes 15 minutes to complete, custom scan issues, safe file issues, and so on... Users are told to open a ticket, tickets are opened and stay that way, the official reply is " the issue is known and currently working on a fix, we apologize for any inconvenience, the fix will be delivered via automatic update". 4 major updates since ticket opening that required a reboot, but no fixes at all.

Given the above, WHAT ON EARTH is going on with Bitdefender? You have a top notch AV and the newest version is a complete failure, a kingdom of bugs and problems, and a downgrade for sure. How can someone trust the very vendor for its protection? Who can ensure users that its computer is well protected with so many problems and flaws? Do you feel protected? Personally, i m highly thinking of moving to Kaspersky or Eset, even if where i live, Bitdefender is cheaper than the above vendors. I d like to hear your thoughts, especially from current users. Thank you.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
This is to be expected with newer versions of every software. Take just-released versions almost like beta... It's fact BitDefender should not release a buggy, maybe incomplete version of their antivirus, but there are lots of factors that could influence this scenario, like killing Windows Update, new Microsoft Security policies on Windows 10, etc..

My suggestion would be uninstalling and using a previous version or tweaking BitDefender for less protection to make it consume less. Else, ask for a refund but i personally would not.

Jester

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 21, 2017
@RoboMan My subscription expires in a couple of days, that's the good part, so no refund matter. There's no option for rolling back to 2017 version, BD officially states that 2017 version cannot be downloaded and they consider it as obsolete. Given the fact that it is a buggy and incomplete release, in terms of security, can an incomplete AV be considered as secured?

Reactions: Weebarra and given

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Bitdefender was always heavy on my computer, in the present I use G-Data total security with custom settings, disabled a few things like "system area scan on startup, check only on execution instead of read/write, etc". It runs fast and stable, and it's firewall is quite aggressive with default presets like "Direct connection" profile, does an amazing work. If you are not happy with Bitdefender 2018 version and you cannot roll back to previous version anymore and the forum is not helping you at all, I'd consider switching to another product and check if it suits your needs. AV's in general will behave different according to specific singularities that every computer system has, that said; you will always find people who runs the AV you hate because it's not stable and buggy with no issues at all. Best chance is just to try other options until you find what works for you.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@RoboMan My subscription expires in a couple of days, that's the good part, so no refund matter. There's no option for rolling back to 2017 version, BD officially states that 2017 version cannot be downloaded and they consider it as obsolete. Given the fact that it is a buggy and incomplete release, in terms of security, can an incomplete AV be considered as secured?
This is your chance then. There are a couple of software you can replace expiring BitDefender with. I suggest lightness and effectiveness: ESET Internet Security or Emsisoft Anti Malware. :)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I tested Bitdefender in my computer for a few days and it was as light as Kaspersky, meaning I didn't even notice it was installed. When I updated to Firefox 57 beta it wouldn't allow Firefox to connect for some reason so I just uninstalled my trial and returned to Kaspersky. Anyway light and heavy depends on a lot of factors. Even my problem with Firefox was probably something trivial, maybe it just didn't recognize the beta and blocked access.

seanss

Level 1
Verified
Aug 8, 2016
I use Bitdefender Total Security 2018, and I have no complaints, yet.:)
Lmao if it didn't constantly update itself I would say the same. Bitdefender's updates take ages to complete; I literally updated Photoshop, Office 2016, Notepad++, and almost finished downloading windows updates (which take FOREVER) all before the Bitdefender update finished.

seanss

Level 1
Verified
Aug 8, 2016
This is to be expected with newer versions of every software. Take just-released versions almost like beta... It's fact BitDefender should not release a buggy, maybe incomplete version of their antivirus, but there are lots of factors that could influence this scenario, like killing Windows Update, new Microsoft Security policies on Windows 10, etc..

My suggestion would be uninstalling and using a previous version or tweaking BitDefender for less protection to make it consume less. Else, ask for a refund but i personally would not.
I agree but installing last year's version is sometimes difficult, since BD is trying to update everyone on that version

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I used Bitdenfender TS a couple years ago. Liked it but it wouldn't let me download Windows updates, tried everything. I'm finding more and more antivirus companies using their costumers as guinea pigs instead taking their time some beta test their software before they release it to the public. I guess they want to start raking in the profits as soon as possible.

Anubis

Level 1
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
I have been using Bitdefender Total Security for a while now and never had any particular issues. Before I was with Kaspersky Pure, which while effective and feature-rich, it was becoming increasingly taxing on my always upgrading and yet aging system. Bitdefender update takes a few minutes in my case, and the quick scan is always completed in about a minute. I believe that besides obvious bugs and flaws any program may have, its performance within a given system depends on several factors, as others already mentioned before me.

While I can't speak for consumer support because I haven't had the need to contact them so far, I have experience with their business support, since we use Gravity Zone at work. Despite being stationed in Romania, BD engineers have always delivered when we needed them.

With that being said, I'm no fanboy about any security product, Bitdefender included. If BD stopped working as I expect it would for my system and configs, I wouldn't think twice about moving on to something else (after due testing and documentation, of course).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.