What's wrong with Bitdefender 2018 version?

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello, After update 1709 Fall Creators Update I had to let Bitdefender go, and now my security goes like this: Windows Defender+Zemana Anti Malware+Voodoo-Shield Pro+HitmanPro and HitmanPro Alert:cry:

Reactions: Syafiq

Jim1013

Jan 3, 2018
Hello I am posting this to see if anyone has the same issue and/or help anyone else.
I have/had an issue with the "system:4 process" (hardware interrupts) spiking CPU usage at 100%.
It would cause whatever I was doing, especially gaming to lag for a few sections, but even did it during regular web browsing activity. In the latter the main thing i'd notice was the mouse becoming juttery for for maybe 2 seconds. For a while I kept thinking it was a dirty mousepad until I started using process explorer.

Occurance somewhat random but - would often be about once every 15-20 minutes and be over very quickly, although it seemed to mostly only happen if there was some activity rather than just leaving the computer idle. It only started recently.
System was a I7-6700, 16GB Ram Running Win 7 64bit. Since then I upgraded the CPU and motherboard - not due to this issue - but the problem still continues.

It is a shame because the 2017 version was everything I wanted in an A.V. light fast, non intrusive, free.
After the forced upgrade I was then forced to pay for the upgrade as bitdefender was interfering with displayfusion causing massive RAM usage and the only way I could see to whitelist was do so with the paid version.

I'd been so happy with BD that I gave in and paid for the upgrade. However I have been very disapointed with the Bitdefender 2018. It is heavy on the usage and intrusive.

I think i've had success by disabling bitdefender. I don't recall the problem happening before the forced update to bitdefender 2018 and not much else had changed with my computer.

I am progressively now turning bitdefender functions back on after the problem not occuring for a while with it off.

I shall post further results, but hopefully this will be of help to anyone else with the same problem.

Reactions: Brie
F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello, I have had too many problems with Bitdefender Total Security(subscription expires in April 2019)and the new Windows 10 1709 update, so now I use Windows Defender+Malwarebytes Premium+HitmanPro+Voodoo-Shield(currently Free version) and Heimdal Pro.

Jim1013

Jan 3, 2018
A Short update to my system:4 CPU spikes.

With some more of BD functionality turned on and I've now caught on several occasions quick looks while watching the threads in the "System:4" propoerties in process explorer.

I've seen perhaps 8 to 10 threads of "atc.sys" each using say 7.5%, ~8%, 4% of the CPU. (so adding up to quite a large amount corresponding with the CPU spikes. It seems to happen - usually when there is some activity on the computer. Searching for files in windows explorer seems to trigger it ... sometimes...

ATC.SYS is a bitdefender file. So it's pretty clear BD is the cause.

I've also noticed even more times when there are a stack of threads with atc.sys using almost no CPU - individually or collectively and no overall spike - perhaps avery small 'bump'. That part I am not worried about as it seems (to me with very little expertise) to be how a virus scanner SHOULD operate.

What it should not be doing is chewing up 100% or close amounts of CPU on an i7 8700 for little reason.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Same here, i was using BD but all my Windows Updates failed. Even disabeling BD did not help. And uninstalling and reinstalling BD just for MS updates is not the option. I told BD this and i am waiting for a refund. Went to Norton instead and everything is fast again , and most important the Windows updates are being installed fine and with no error.

AB David

Level 1
Mar 19, 2018
If you're after a software that is user-dependent, I don't think Bitdefender is really a good option; it's quite the opposite and by default Bitdefender's auto-pilot decides everything. Also, Bitdefender is not so good in terms of settings, not many options. I would recommend you to stick with Kaspersky. Or as some others have mentioned, you can try other software.

Reactions: L0ckJaw

victr

Apr 4, 2018
Alright so today its been using 99.7 % of my core i5 (at max), couldn't do anything. I had it for about a month
before it started breaking things up.
Proof:
image_2794.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
This is to be expected with newer versions of every software. Take just-released versions almost like beta... It's fact BitDefender should not release a buggy, maybe incomplete version of their antivirus, but there are lots of factors that could influence this scenario, like killing Windows Update, new Microsoft Security policies on Windows 10, etc..

My suggestion would be uninstalling and using a previous version or tweaking BitDefender for less protection to make it consume less. Else, ask for a refund but i personally would not.
how do you use a previous version ? i don't see that option. i paid for bitdefender total security 2018.

JadoTech

Mar 31, 2020
Hey, wondering if anyone can shed some light on why BitDefender is literally taking all available space on my C Drive. I run a small SSD C Drive, but have other drives for the big stuff. But you can't install Bitdefender anywhere but C drive.

8 weeks ago I had 50gb spare on C drive, 4 weeks ago I noticed Bitdefender taking up 98gb!!

Then tonight it is taking up 69.2GB.

I have not had any luck yet contacting them directly.

Can anyone suggest how I can manager this or set up on another drive?

3rd March 2020 - 98.5 GB

bitdef.PNG

30 March 2020 - 69.2 GB
BD.PNG

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
JadoTech
This looks a like a bug. It stores some sort of temp files which should've been deleted automatically but it's not doing that for some reason. You better uninstall it using the official uninstaller tool, restart the PC and if you regain the space on C then reinstall it.

And make sure you use the correct BD uninstall tool version. Just scroll to see options.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.