Advice Request What's your thoughts on Brave Browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Like all Chromium clones it's WAY behind in security updates, Brave is good for family/friends who aren't techy for that install-and-forget ad and crap blocking but in reality, it's nothing more than old Chromium code with an adblocker, fingerprinting protection and HTTPS everywhere. Hardened Firefox with a couple of extensions will excel it in every single way.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Like all Chromium clones it's WAY behind in security updates, Brave is good for family/friends who aren't techy for that install-and-forget ad and crap blocking but in reality, it's nothing more than old Chromium code with an adblocker, fingerprinting protection and HTTPS everywhere. Hardened Firefox with a couple of extensions will excel it in every single way.
How about Opera web browser?

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
How about Opera web browser?
It's owned by a Chinese company, I won't go near it with a barge pole. Almost all Chromium clones are either massively outdated or have their own telemetry/bad privacy practices. Chrome is kept up to date but I'd also avoid that with a barge pole. I'd go for pure Chromium if I desperately wanted Chromium.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's owned by a Chinese company, I won't go near it with a barge pole. Almost all Chromium clones are either massively outdated or have their own telemetry/bad privacy practices. Chrome is kept up to date but I'd also avoid that with a barge pole. I'd go for pure Chromium if I desperately wanted Chromium.
You avoided the question, How outdated is Opera compared to Chrome?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Which for a mobile browser is pretty good. Considering they don't normally have extension support.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.