Advice Request What's your thoughts on Brave Browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I switched from Brave Beta > Released version. I quite like that its official build number stays nearly identical to Chrome, so it's very secure! (y) I will be hard-pressed to use the new Edge since it will likely be quite Chrome-ish in appearance. Smartscreen will be one of its only advantages over other Chromium forks, including Brave. Hmmmm .... :unsure::unsure:

Oh, and it supports Google translator via Brave:flags for all of your multilingual needs!

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Chrome bitnquicker at first when i open it but slows down firefox the oppsoite it remains fast no matter how many windows and tabs almost, it may be a touch slower than chrome with one window open but anymore it is faster more state with ublock origin course

Reactions: oldschool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't see a compelling need for Brave. It offers me no advantage over Chrome/Firefox. YMMV.
Just switched from Firefox Nightly to Brave Nightly. The built-in Chromium-based password manager is far more secure than Firefox. On Firefox, without a Master Password you can view All the Passwords, whereas on Chromium-based, you need to enter the Windows Login (OS User account Login) to view your Saved Passwords.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

These Chromium Forks tend to come with to much unneeded bloat, even Vivaldi has plans to add a Mail Client in an age where Webmail is more than useable.

Brave comes with some sort of mining tool (poorly explained actually), so I don't even dare to try and install it on my Desktop.

Waiting for Microsoft Edge (Chromium) to come out, so I can get rid of third-party browsers once and for all.

Reactions: stefanos and Nestor

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Brave comes with some sort of mining tool (poorly explained actually), so I don't even dare to try and install it on my Desktop.
I was skeptical of this, but seems it is Opt-in.

Version 0.64.8 Chromium: 73.0.3683.75 - Nightly 64-bit

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Brave comes with some sort of mining tool (poorly explained actually)
In essence, you can opt-in to view privacy-respecting ads to earn cryptocurrency (BAT), then choose to donate said cryptocurrency to publishers (either automatically donated monthly based on your most visited sites or manually to whichever publisher you choose) so they can receive funding for their websites without compromising your privacy or security via normal online advertising.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
In essence, you can opt-in to view privacy-respecting ads to earn cryptocurrency (BAT), then choose to donate said cryptocurrency to publishers (either automatically donated monthly based on your most visited sites or manually to whichever publisher you choose) so they can receive funding for their websites without compromising your privacy or security via normal online advertising.

I was aware of this feature but hadn't really considered enabling it but, in light of all the great websites out there, I am re-considering. A good number of websites whose stories appear on this forum don't rely on advertising and they can use all the help they can get.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I was aware of this feature but hadn't really considered enabling it but, in light of all the great websites out there, I am re-considering. A good number of websites whose stories appear on this forum don't rely on advertising and they can use all the help they can get.
Sadly the reward system isn't complete yet. I'm not sure if ad displays are even available on the stable release channel yet (they were made available on the developer release channel in January), and if they are they're the "user ads", which take the form of notifications and open as a full-page ad in a private tab when clicked.
There's a second form of advertising that's planned for future release called "publisher ads". These are like the traditional form of advertising you'd expect and will appear on websites that publishers choose to display them on.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just switched from Firefox Nightly to Brave Nightly. The built-in Chromium-based password manager is far more secure than Firefox. On Firefox, without a Master Password you can view All the Passwords, whereas on Chromium-based, you need to enter the Windows Login (OS User account Login) to view your Saved Passwords.

I have installed Brave Beta and released versions. Neither of them asks for my Windows password when I "show" passwords. I posted on Brave Community and the response was not helpful, i.e. "It works OK here." Any suggestions?

I can't get it to install on my laptop, can't get past the beginning of installing. Tried on my admin account and the same issue.

Which version? Have you checked your firewall and antivirus?

Reactions: stefanos

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
In my opinion Brave is the best Chromium alternative for Google Chrome; it has fast auto updates (just hours after the Chromium update) and has everything right out of the box (adblock/https everywhere/anti fingerprint/beautiful and clean interface).

Brave rewards (totally optional) is a interesting Ads model and I hope it gets some traction.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have installed Brave Beta and released versions. Neither of them asks for my Windows password when I "show" passwords. I posted on Brave Community and the response was not helpful, i.e. "It works OK here." Any suggestions?
Let's see:
Is your Windows 10 User Account a Microsoft (*@outlook.com) or Local account?
Have you set-up a Password/PIN?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Let's see:
Is your Windows 10 User Account a Microsoft (*@outlook.com) or Local account?
Have you set-up a Password/PIN?

Windows SUA but not password protected. Oh, so that's why I'm not seeing it! Duh!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::LOL::LOL::LOL: I didn't set it on my SUA when I got this laptop a month or so ago. Thank you.

Last edited:

Dan50

Level 1
Verified
Jul 4, 2017

Which version? Have you checked your firewall and antivirus?

I'm using the Comodo Cloud AV atm, the same issue, it goes to connecting to the internet and then gives me an error. I just have the Windows firewall atm.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm using the Comodo Cloud AV atm, the same issue, it goes to connecting to the internet and then gives me an error. I just have the Windows firewall atm.

Are you trying to install the released version? Beta? or Dev? Is WF set to allow all outbound? Comodo autocontainment may be blocking the install. These are the things I would check first. Can you post CCAV settings? @imuade and @Moonhorse have more experience with CCAV than I do.

Reactions: stefanos

Dan50

Level 1
Verified
Jul 4, 2017
Are you trying to install the released version? Beta? or Dev? Is WF set to allow all outbound? Comodo auto containment may be blocking the install. These are the things I would check first. Can you post CCAV settings? @imuade and @Moonhorse have more experience with CCAV than I do.

Whichever you get from the main site, don't see it being blocked by the Cloud AV, there is no HIPS in that. I got no alert when installing either from Comodo.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.