When was the last time you cleaned the dust out of your laptop/pc?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I found that a certain combination of cooling pads / laptop fans spinning in a certain direction can have catastrophic effects.
I'm talking about those coolers that blow the air towards the laptop and the laptop has fans on the bottom that takes air inside the laptop. This combination accumulates more dust than just the laptop without the pad. So instead of helping, the cooling pad will fill the inside of the laptop with more dust in a much shorter time.
I know what you're thinking but my laptop doesn't have anything opened on the bottom so I think it's safe, at least in my case. ;)

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I won't be cleaning anything on mine again, decided to clean the keyboard yesterday, ahem :oops: with a damp sponge and kitchen cleaner ........... BAD IDEA, my bleeping keyboard just decided to go crazy and type all the wrong letters and keys doing things they shouldn't, note to self..... just leave it filthy.... at least it worked well ;)

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I won't be cleaning anything on mine again, decided to clean the keyboard yesterday, ahem :oops: with a damp sponge and kitchen cleaner ........... BAD IDEA, my bleeping keyboard just decided to go crazy and type all the wrong letters and keys doing things they shouldn't, note to self..... just leave it filthy.... at least it worked well ;)

I'm disassembling my keyboards from time to time. You can take out the electronics part and keep only the mechanical parts, buttons and case. Then you can easily clean them without destroying it, even under tap water. You just have to wait until all the parts and insides of the buttons are dried out :)

johnyjohn

Level 2
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
I know how you feel i cleaned mine with a compressed air can but it done more harm than good so just threw it a way got a new one and leave it alone as long as i can type with it.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I'm disassembling my keyboards from time to time. You can take out the electronics part and keep only the mechanical parts, buttons and case. Then you can easily clean them without destroying it, even under tap water. You just have to wait until all the parts and insides of the buttons are dried out :)

Woah, too scary for me, i know nothing about computers plus my keyboard is attached to my laptop:eek:

I know how you feel i cleaned mine with a compressed air can but it done more harm than good so just threw it a way got a new one and leave it alone as long as i can type with it.

At least you did yours with a product fit for the job (no consolation though) instead of kitchen de-greaser !!

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I'm a 'gamer' threfore i'm frequently checking the temperatures of my GPU,CPU and also of all other components.
I Never had any problems with (too) high temperatures: my laptops/PC's have always been very 'clean'. Therefore only once a year i'm taking a closer look at my hardware... ... looking for too much dirt.... ;)

RicharDooM

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2016
Hah nice!!! I cleaned my laptop just yesterday! I own it for 2 and a half years xD
Truth be told, I wouldn't do this if there was no BIOS battery issue xD
I don't have problems with overheating, two of coolers in the laptop do a great job for me!

Reactions: Vasudev and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.