Battle Which Anti Malware (free edition) is good as a secondary protection?

Compare list
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
SUPERAntiSpyware
Spybot
SpywareBlaster

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Zemana Antimalware 2.74.2.150 & Malwarebytes are the better ones out there for on-demand scan and clean. The first 2 are portable so I prefer them more.

Hitman Pro beats them all but the free version is limited to scanning (good for double checking in case you miss something). It's portable too.

Norton Power Eraser for a highly infected system.

SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot & SpywareBlaster are goodies of the past. I don't think they are effective these days.
Emsisoft & Zemana both have free version? If portable version then how can I update database or software?

Hitman Pro have free version? And Norton Power eraser free?

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Emsisoft & Zemana both have free version? If portable version then how can I update database or software?

Hitman Pro have free version? And Norton Power eraser free?
Emsisoft Emergency Kit is portable and checks for updates when you launch it. Zemana isn't portable but is cloud based so doesn't download signatures. Sophos Scan & Clean is a free version of HitmanPro. It's also solely cloud based.

Last edited:

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Emsisoft Emergency Kit is portable and checks for updates when you launch it. Zemana isn't portable but is cloud based so doesn't download signatures. Sophos Scan & Clean is s free version of HitmanPro. It's also solely cloud based.
Which is better?

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Emsisoft Emergency Kit is portable and checks for updates when you launch it. Zemana isn't portable but is cloud based so doesn't download signatures. Sophos Scan & Clean is s free version of HitmanPro. It's also solely cloud based.
What about Norton power eraser??

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Which is better?
I use both. When you click on NPE, first it checks if there is a new version, then it scans and analyses the results it found with the cloud. For a full system scan, it takes around 2 minutes. I do a fast scan , most of the time, with SSC in about 22 seconds. Last time I did a full scan: 1 min 39 seconds.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

Hitman Pro have free version? And No
Emsisoft Emergency Kit is portable and checks for updates when you launch it. Zemana isn't portable but is cloud based so doesn't download signatures. Sophos Scan & Clean is a free version of HitmanPro. It's also solely cloud based.

rton Power eraser free?
The last Zemana 2.7.4 before switching ownership was portable. I kind of used it for a few years after that. Not sure how effective it is now.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Just asking to clarify, you mean like a 2nd security software running as real-time protection or just as on-demand scanner?

WiseVector StopX (free version) can be even a secondary protection running in real-time same like your main AV.
What avs can it run along side with? I use KTS I wonder if they work together

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
What avs can it run along side with? I use KTS I wonder if they work together
I tried only Kaspersky Security Cloud Free together with WV, both running well even on Windows 11, although no need both in real-time protection...
You better asking @WiseVector for more "compatible" AVs

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.