Which anti-malware software are you currently using?

Which anti-malware software are you currently using?

• Total voters

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Where's the option for my precious Norton?

Actually, using Norton lastest build as main real protection software. With a few tweaks and Zemana AntiMalware for on-demand scans, i'm pretty much done. I run a few scans with some adware, cookies tools, and i couldn't be better.

H

hjlbx

I don't understand why AVs - even second opinion scanner remain so popular among security soft geeks.

I try to do my best to kick the damn things off my system - and really only reach for HMP free (without removal capability) when I need it to check the classification of a malware sample.

Of course, my system is set-up for malware testing -- so I don't use Windows Defender because it does a rather fine job.

For AV, I would stick with Windows Defender and use a much more useful soft - like Shadow Defender, Rollback Rx, Drive Vaccine Rx, Reboot Restore Rx, Macrium Reflect Free, etc, etc - to remain infection free.

Shadow Defender or any of the Rx softs are a much better solution than any AV... plus, there are software restriction policy softs that will protect a system far better than any AV. SRP + snapshot or virtualization = clean system.

ReHIPS is also a far better bet than any AV\Internet Security suite...

This is not difficult...

sona

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2013
Emsisoft AM (main)+ Zemana antilogger pro beta.:)
I was using quick heal before (apprx 8 months)but i found that it was becoming quick "KILL" :mad:.
so i removed it and gave it to my brother :D :cool:.
Let me see what happens to his machine :p.
He is a first time quick heal user (also i was ,i'm not going to buy again).
He is very delighted :D:D:p:p.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Windows Defender: quite good now , system aware, kernel friendly.
ReHIPS (beta) : because i have all the benefits of a sandbox and an advanced HIPS without Kernel Hooks (byebye Comodo and Sandboxie)
Appguard : top notch Anti-executable, block everything i don't expressly allow.
HMPA : top anti-exploit with lot of useful features.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I don't understand why AVs - even second opinion scanner remain so popular among security soft geeks.
I don't like the alternatives to antiviruses as I find them to be too intrusive. I like that AV software will only ever prompt me if an infection is found (or a false positive), or possibly if it finds some suspicious activity. I install new software just about every day, and using other security software causes one or two problems for me. The first one is lots of prompts to allow or deny things. I find this to highly annoying, and for this reason I have UAC disabled as well. This would not be an issue if I rarely made changes to my system. However I have hundreds of programs install, and install new software just about every day. The second problem is that in order to run or install some software I would need to manually setup whitelists. With antivirus software, I can do pretty much whatever I want on my system with no prompting or blocking.

I was running HitmanPro.Alert briefly, but soon removed it as it was blocking too many things and I did not want to have to manually add exceptions. Also, I was running VoodooShield for a few months. I stopped using it as I was getting tired of the popups, and the delay of a few seconds when lanuching an installer while it scanned it.

I don't use Windows Defender as I've found that unless you have a very fast CPU, it can cause very noticable slowdowns at times. I've witnessed this behaviour on many computers. I use an antivirus which has an absolute minimum system impact - IObit Malware Fighter 4 Pro, as I don't want my laptop to ever run slowly if I can help it. I have seen a post on another forum where someone said Windows Defender was using less CPU time under Windows 10 Anniversary Update than the previous build. I have not tested this myself yet.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I don't like the alternatives to antiviruses as I find them to be too intrusive. I like that AV software will only ever prompt me if an infection is found (or a false positive), or possibly if it finds some suspicious activity. I install new software just about every day, and using other security software causes one or two problems for me. The first one is lots of prompts to allow or deny things. I find this to highly annoying, and for this reason I have UAC disabled as well. This would not be an issue if I rarely made changes to my system. However I have hundreds of programs install, and install new software just about every day. The second problem is that in order to run or install some software I would need to manually setup whitelists. With antivirus software, I can do pretty much whatever I want on my system with no prompting or blocking.

I was running HitmanPro.Alert briefly, but soon removed it as it was blocking too many things and I did not want to have to manually add exceptions. Also, I was running VoodooShield for a few months. I stopped using it as I was getting tired of the popups, and the delay of a few seconds when lanuching an installer while it scanned it.

I don't use Windows Defender as I've found that unless you have a very fast CPU, it can cause very noticable slowdowns at times. I've witnessed this behaviour on many computers. I use an antivirus which has an absolute minimum system impact - IObit Malware Fighter 4 Pro, as I don't want my laptop to ever run slowly if I can help it. I have seen a post on another forum where someone said Windows Defender was using less CPU time under Windows 10 Anniversary Update than the previous build. I have not tested this myself yet.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion as you're installing new software pretty much everyday.
AV software, as just about everyone here knows, doesn't catch all malware types and you have your UAC disabled:eek: As we know, it's only recommended to only have one AV suite active at any time because of conflicts.

That to me is like giving all the fat kids in town the keys to the sweet shop and telling them all "help yourselves to whatever you want".

You say you don't like your system being slowed down... But that's what nasty stuff does, slows things down and takes stuff over!
IMO I'd rather have the minor inconveniences of AM's than the major inconvenience of something locking my entire system down and spending possibly hours removing it and fixing the damage that it causes:cool:

Apologies if a bit off topic:eek::cool:

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
  1. My online laptop vehicle uses Emsisoft & Zemana Antimalware Premium (Realtime) + Malwarebytes Antimalware, HitmanPro Alert, & EEK as on demand scanners.
  2. Mrs. Cat's laptop: Windows Defender & Zemana (Realtime). MBAM, HMP Alert, & Emsisoft Emergency Kit, are also on demand.

@roger_m, although I may not share your view on security based upon keeping annoyances at bay, I did enjoy reading your explanations for your decisions.
I strongly urge you to shore up any unseen vulnerabilities by including a virtual solution such
as the free program
Sandboxie
as well as the benefits of Shadow Defender shadowdefender.com. Perhaps, even incorporating a snapshot capturing software such as RollBack Rx would provide added security whilst forging ahead upon your adventures in software.:)

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion as you're installing new software pretty much everyday.
I probably should have added to my post that I'm careful about what I let run on my computer. I never open the attachements from suspicious emails. Also, I never open random executables. If I download a program, I'm careful to make sure I actually download the software's installer, and not a downloader for it or something else. I don't depend on my antivirus to protect me. I use common sense, and the antivirus is there for a backup measure. Too many people open suspicious email attachments or random files without thinking, and get infected if their antivirus fails to detect them. I prefer to not open these risky files in the first place.

I keep my system up to date, and it extremly rare for me to get infected. I do have an image of my system in case I ever need. But, I prefer to fix any issues I have with my system (whether it is malware or I have any problems with Windows) myself rather than doing a restore.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@roger_m, although I may not share your view on security based upon keeping annoyances at bay, I did enjoy reading your explanations for your decisions.
I strongly urge you to shore up any unseen vulnerabilities by including a virtual solution such
as the free program
Sandboxie
as well as the benefits of Shadow Defender shadowdefender.com. Perhaps, even incorporating a snapshot capturing software such as RollBack Rx would provide added security whilst forging ahead upon your adventures in software.:)
I aprreciate your suggestions. However, I believe they may be a bit limiting for how I use my computer. I'm continually installing new software, and I don't want it to be installed inside a sandbox so that it is gone when I reboot. I want the software to remain there.

I have used Rollback Rx a long time ago, but these days I prefer just to have an image of my system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.