Battle Which antivirus to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conred55

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
My expectations are: low ram usage, fast boot time and fast scan. Which antivirus should I buy: Vipre, Avira, Kaspersky, Norton, Trend micro or Bitdefender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sr. Normal
H

hjlbx

Hello Conred55,

You see what happened here? Everyone is certain in their advice.

What I like, you may not. What works well on my system, may not on yours.

This is what I can tell you based upon my own actual experience:

Comodo - free or paid, but not good for novice and you need an ample supply of Bug spray (if you are not experienced it can overwhelm you), difficult to learn - for a long while I had to refer to 600 page user's manual, event logging is a mess, very poor forum support, GeekBuddy chat support can be excellent or poor depending upon the support tech and their work load, features and rules can be difficult to grasp and help resources are very limitied - even 600 page manual - too many pictures and not enough in-depth explanation
Emsisoft - comparatively simple to all other security suites, very good overall real-time protection, removal of the most difficult malware is not its strength (must use 3rd party utilities for the hard to remove - but this is a fact for all AV products so don't let this put you off), excellent support only via forum/email (weekends virtually no support, removal process may take days of back-and-forth, so this one requires very high tolerance for frustration and patience), level of user interaction dependent upon settings, its simplicity makes it comparatively easy to learn
Kaspersky - well-established track record of very good overall protection (32 bit, password manager does not work on x64 system), low false positives, solid, respectable user experience, better than average malware removal but hard to remove just like all the rest - must use 3rd party utilities under supervision of malware removal expert via forum/email

ESET and Trend Micro are the most "polished" products, and they both do better than average.

Perhaps you should try out trials for ESET, Trend Micro and Kaspersky.

In the end, no matter what I say or anyone else, you'll arrive at a decision based upon "doing." Most AV is "learn-as-you-go."

The top rated ones all look great on paper, and on various websites, but once you use them you quickly discover that some of them do not meet your expectations.

And here's common sense - the most secure AV available is of absolutely no use if you can not figure out how to properly use it. That's why I suggest classical HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention System) is not for novice. It's correct operation is entirely dependent upon user decisions. Wrong actions may cause up to, and including, an unbootable system. When I first started using Comodo on my AMD system it sandboxed some graphics drivers because they are not digitally signed and caused a bloody mess. (If you fully understand the previous sentence then you just may be ready for the Comodo "experience.")

I think best for true novice is Emsisoft, but that is just my opinion based upon actual experience. However, since it isn't in your list I assume you are not even considering it.

My suggestion would be Emsisoft Anti-Malware along with the built-in Windows firewall...or you can add Tiny Wall which simply adds additional control functionality to the Windows firewall. All are simple, and simple is very powerful.

Sometimes less is more...

Let me point out that just because they are good for novice does not mean they will provide substandard protection. In fact, EAM and Windows firewall will provide very high level of protection while at same time be relatively light on system resources.

Best Regards,

hjlbx

PS - If you do not need parental controls, password manager, etc, etc, etc, then you should consider not selecting one that is going to add a whole bunch of items to your system that you will never use. The more you add, the greater the potential for incompatibility and it is a resource hog. Trend Micro is a relatively huge suite.

Last edited by a moderator:

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Just as a member already replied. You will get everyone's favorite program. The decision is up to you!
Here's my favorite and I'll get lots of comments :):)
MSE and Malwarebytes Pro, and common sense! Works for me!

Reactions: Behold Eck and Sasa

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
i offer Avira is more light than Eset,

But you should use brain "prevention is better than cure"
Better buy Good HIPS with firewall and other SRP tools and use few antywirus recsuce cd for free to scan system from time to time.

Very good and light setup i can offer you:
1)SpyShelter FW - Very good firewall and Hips which can block wirus before it starts to do anything.
SSFW have also Keystroke Encryption and limits Applications.
2)AppGuard awesome progrma which can put restrictions, better give acces to specific process/apps and block all rest than scan all, molest disk and system by av.

3)Shadow Defender its total diferent software than antywirus but in practice work better if you use brain.
SD will make snapshot of your disk and every time when you reboot system he will back to these moment ofc you can exclude specific files for keep it. And you will dont need use ccleaner for delte all trash data becasue sd will do it globaly.
Shortly say Shadow Defender nice protect and keep system fresh forever as long your system runing in shadow mode "ofc is you do it in good system condition"

SpyShelter usage 9-20 ram
AppGuard aurond 12 ram
Shadow Defender 2 ram xD (you can move all temp file to ram as swap so disk will free from incoming data)

All these soft have license liftime so you dont need waste money $$ for AV and IS every year.
Other tools which you can try use: Sandboxie, VMware, WinPatrol.

But don't trust me go and check yourself GL & HF

Last edited:

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I agree with what is said @jackuars
choose an AV is not only seen from the high detection because it takes time to analyze (I'm sure all the antivirus lab work hard to detect all viruses) :) You should know the features offered by the AV to prevent it, You should try and learn all the features offered then you will know the antivirus that suits you best. and most importantly, how antivirus work well in your system without slowing down your system.
for me, choose an Av there are several criteria :
  1. AV stability with my system
  2. Virus detection (I see from the reliable AV vendor)
  3. AV features
    - I can find all my app vulnerabilities and provide advice to me (what I should do)
    - prevention of new viruses / not yet detected
    - AV Support
    - and many more that I can not mention one by one :D:)
  4. UI & userfriendly (This is the added value of me, if the UI is not good I do not like :p:D)
If you decide to choose to buy the famous AV but you can not be implemented properly (you not use all the features of AV) means that you get the benefits of the AV is low and your actual losses from such transactions. :)

Im sorry my english is bad :)

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
In case OP is still interested in responses, I'll add my experience. Please bear in mind that 2 separate systems have been used with the latest versions of the the following Antivirus:

System 1: Windows 8.1: 12GB DDR3 HyperX RAM (Gaming RAM), Intel i7 Quad Core 2.5 GHz 4th Generation
System 2: Windows 7 SP1: 8GB DDR 3 HyperX RAM (Gaming RAM) Intel i7 Quad Core 2.4 GHz 2nd Generation

Kaspersky:
System 1:
System impact: Boot time increased around 30% but still hardly noticeable, although one observation is to be made: Kaspersky would be the last process to be loaded.
Scan time:
(Games folders and games installation folders/downloads of setups have been excluded)
First scan took around 20 mins (games folders and games installation folders/downloads of setups have been excluded) . Further scans were faster
Performance during scan: 2015 version has the option to balance performance and standard settings were used, no visible impact
RAM usage:
Two processes were around 60mbs but then one does decrease to around 5mb.
Protection: Though missing 2 key components from its Internet Security Version in my opinion (Application Control and Trusted Application Mode), Kaspersky's protection for the standard user is among the highest in my opinion. Their disinfection methods are one of their strong points.

System 2:
Same as System 1 apart from boot time, which is due to the hardware itself. Boot time increased nearly 50%.

Webroot:
Both systems.
System impact: Having Webroot installed or not was the same boot time.
Scan time: Around 5 minutes scan (note that no folder has been excluded)
Perfomance during scan: If I didn't know the scan was running (scheduled scan), I would say nothing was happening.
RAM Usage: Less than 5MB
Protection: This one is a bit tricky. For one to understand Webroot's protection solution, one must understand that they are not the traditional proactive type solution. Yes they still have their database updated and its mainly cloud based, however their key features is the Rollback solution. Should you get infected and Webroot is later aware (so to speak), it will roll back to prior the infection. Their database are not as complete as Kaspersky/ESET and other solutions but for the standard user, it's more than enough. They also have other protection modules such as keylogger etc, although if one is paranoid enough, he/she would need to manually add the programs that want to be protected (browsers are added automatically).

ESET:
Both Systems
System Impact: System one increased 5% boot time, while system two was around 15%. Again this is due to its hardware.
Scan time:
(games folders and games installation folders/downloads of setups have been excluded)
25 minutes on first scan. further scans been relatively faster
RAM Usage: Peaks between 60MB to 100MB.
Protection: Different approach versus Kaspersky and Webroot, but on a plus side, they include HIPS. For standard user, default settings is good enough. Still not a fan of Interactive mode but because I have used it since Version 5, can say that once everything is configured, you're good to go.
One setting I do change is when an infection is found, do not delete or attempt to clean it. Just in case its a false positive and I prefer having full control.

So there you go, all 3 solutions are fully viable, however if your system is not as powerful as a gaming system, I would hold back on Kaspersky and look at either a mainly cloud based (Webroot) or a more "traditional" type (ESET).

hope this helps

I

illumination

Almost all paid solutions come with a 30 trial "with the exceptions of some like Webroot" which has a much shorter trial. The best thing you can do, is try one out for a week or two, if it does not work well with your system, and your uses, then try another until you find one that suite's you..

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Inkurax Try my setup from 26 post and compare it with myself :p
More secure, light and forever fresh if you use it properly ofc.

Because I am a gamer my approach went from heavy security based (not as much as our friend umbra) to secure enough for my needs. Eset on its own with policy based hips is enough for me plus windows standard firewall. At one stage I did a AVless challenge but don't remember for how long just to see for the fun not it if I would get infected. Result: no infections

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
@Inkurax Im also gamer that why linux users instal additional system like windows :D
I have aurond 16 champion or top 10 titles in few complet diferent style games like dota or GunZ: The Duel
Most requiring experience games for me.
http://forum.ghostgraz.com/heroes-gameplaystrategies/hero-roles-3766.msg21649.html#msg21649

Currently im back to RIFT and between time play in Hawken and Dota2 incognito with waiting for next hard hard style game
Where players can realy show good class for rest ppl.

That why i need better protect my pc, AV from long time is not enought and there are other layers of security which better improve securit and more light for system.(you dont must drop older but you can even improve it)
That is all what i want to say you.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Quillathe I am an online gamer but you do not really need much in terms of layers for security.

Standard windows 7/8 protection plus an AV is actually enough and light enough for protection. Windows firewall is good enough for online gaming, while using a 3rd party firewall can be a pain sometimes configuring its connections to be fully optimal.

Prior to ESET, I just used Webroot with Windows firewall just fine.

What one needs to beware is don't click everything you see, download from sources you don't trust etc.

I understand your point on improvement, but then again, whats not broke, don't fix it.

I would however not recommend the setup I have to anyone because of its strip down nature (excluding ESET on Policy Based mode HIPS).

On a side note: I also game on Linux, but not every game.

Back in the days, yes I also ran a behaviour blocker and I even converted my EAM license to Mamutu.

I suppose each user has different ways of dealing with protection. An example, some users will still run an AV solution in Linux. I don't because what I do on Linux doesn't require the need for one. Didn't need it for AURs nor need it for the PPAs now, but that again, is a story for another day.

Reactions: Quassar

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Yea you have some right "brain and than rest app" i agree with you. imo linux need more HIDS technique and windows HIPS+SRP/FW.

I hope windows finaly improve UAC to make me normaly sit on SUA.

Reactions: Soulbound

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Vipre (no comment), Avira (free version should be sufficient), Kaspersky (don't expect performance on low end hardware), Norton (solid protection with little user interaction), Trend Micro (no comment), Bitdefender (widely available for no cost, reports of bugs, free version available), ESET (a good choice as an alternate to Norton).

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Vipre (no comment), Avira (free version should be sufficient), Kaspersky (don't expect performance on low end hardware), Norton (solid protection with little user interaction), Trend Micro (no comment), Bitdefender (widely available for no cost, reports of bugs, free version available), ESET (a good choice as an alternate to Norton).

If he realy wanna pay for security he should skip av and should watch other layers than av like HIPS/SRP and firewalls for first.
Between Prevent and Deleting wirus is realy huge space in practice(some data should stay only in your hands)

hezekiahsoft

Level 1
Dec 28, 2014
In my country(indonesian) i choose a bit defender. This antivirus is very cheap (the price only $13/year for total security) and the best one of Antivirus security. I like that. #sorryforRIPenglish

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What's "potentially unwanted" to one person is wanted by another person. I have programs that some AVs and anti-spyware regard as PUPs. One of the major criteria for calling something a PUP is if its installation process has piggyback programs to install by default if not unchecked. I have learned to uncheck and to always select "custom" installation. I have found many such "ad-supported" or "adware" programs to be valuable members of my software collection.

A PUP is not the same thing as malware generally speaking.

Agree with all of your points there. I would not leave my antivirus to quarantine a product because it's considered as a PUP. I would trust my intelligence than trusting an Artificial Intelligence (A.I).

When you get Windows installed on your system you might have certain pre-installed applications many of which might be unnecessary. But does this make Windows a PUP? You can still Uninstall these apps and get clean Windows.

Same as in the case of Software's (i.e Windows earlier) that are bundled with ad-ware (i.e pre-installed apps earlier), many of which that include in this class are freeware software's.

Advice: During software installations, take a moment to review the "small checkboxes" in the wizard, before clicking "Next". (i.e Uninstall apps earlier)

No wonder why PUP detection has made optional in most antivirus. But this could be useful to newbies who know nothing about toolbars and all the related stuff.

Solution: Use Unchecky and Winpatrol

Last edited:
Reactions: conceptualclarity
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.