Battle Which antivirus to buy ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conred55

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 10, 2015
My expectations are: low ram usage, fast boot time and fast scan. Which antivirus should I buy: Vipre, Avira, Kaspersky, Norton, Trend micro or Bitdefender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sr. Normal

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
How is about McAfee?

I've looked at many AV tests from 2013-14. McAfee did well on a few. It did poorly on very many. I mean it was down in the weeds with Microsoft Security Essentials. I would imagine that there are at least seven free anti-viruses better than McAfee at this point in time (Qihoo 360, Panda, Avira, Comodo IS, avast!, AVG, Bitdefender free).

Reactions: December

December

Level 1
Jan 18, 2015
I've looked at many AV tests from 2013-14. McAfee did well on a few. It did poorly on very many. I mean it was down in the weeds with Microsoft Security Essentials. I would imagine that there are at least seven free anti-viruses better than McAfee at this point in time (Qihoo 360, Panda, Avira, Comodo IS, avast!, AVG, Bitdefender free).

Should I fully trust these AV comparison tests?

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I dont even trust comparsion but you can use it as sugestion, cuz if you put specific samples you can choice to test some in which specific av is better than rest ofc if you understand me, what i mean.(So also open test dont lie but dont show you full true..)

Any way for me av is last layer of security. EVEN but f...ing even "prevention rather than cure"

Reactions: jackuars

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

Where the four or five testing companies corroborate each other, it lends it credence with me. You tend to see Kaspersky and BitDefender neck-and-neck at the top in detections, Norton and ESET pretty close behind, Emsisoft on the rise, Qihoo 360 and Panda Free having left the three big free As (Avira, Avast, AVG) behind and beating most of the paid ones, and McAfee trailing rather dismally.

Reactions: December

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I am not sure if this already has been mentioned, but instead of focussing on Ram usage and the usual performance, detection & removal statistics why not focussing on a security package you are comfortable with?
The very best security a security program is going to give you is no more then your own ability to understand what the program is doing, why it did give you a alert, why some options are disabled while it seems logical that they are enabled.
There is so much more then just performance issues.
So my advise would be why not play around with a few brands? and find one you are comfortable with.

ESET, Kaspersky, Symantec/Norton, Sophos and even Mcafee will be all you ever going to need.
While independent tests have shown that one might outclass the other in detection, removal or performance, each of these brands have one thing in common, they are virtually equal in the end level of protection they are going to offer you.
No matter what some other users suggest, and no matter what some tests claim.
Keep in mind a test is just a moment snapshot, and user advise while very credible and 95% of all cases true is for a large part based upon personal habits rather then actual facts. (Not discrediting knowledgeable members here who made VERY valid comments and gave great advise) But comments like i use ESET because its the best and fastest (Or any AV brand mentioned in this way) is certainly a poor guide to your personal protection for your PC.
Bottom line is this, ANY well known and mature premium antivirus program or internet security package for that matter, is going to do a great job at protecting you no matter what brand you choose.
Some will have a little higher system load other might scan a bit faster, some might have a little better detection but also higher FP and some might have a crappy or superduper removal and cleaning process.
But down the line? They are virtually the same in end protection.

That does not mean you will like every brand, and neither does it mean you will be able to discover all the goodies each brand has to offer.
And it certainly is not going to make a difference between Sophos, Norton, ESET or Kaspersky if you do not understand what the options do and what to enable or disable.
So pick a brand use it learn it discover it.
And eventually like or hate it.

But from my personal experiences i can highly recommend the following brands: ESET, Kaspersky, Norton/Symantec, Sophos and McAfee
As any of these brands have everything you need and are robust, well known and very well documented.
Obviously there are other brands and some just as good as the names mentioned, but these few brands i did single out have more then a decade of track record and documentation to make your choice even more easy.
That said you got to do what you think is right, however keep in mind your security is just as good as your weakest link in your security.
And yes your mouseclick matters.

Kind Regards Nico

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.