Which AV (endpoint)?

Binks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2017
Hi Guys,

This topic maybe common topic and everybody might have created this before ...

My question, how reliable is test result by ah-test.org? At-comparative.com? Vb100? Review? I'm midst deciding which cloud protection I should choose ... I personally really likes Protection by Bitdefender Gravityzone - Cloud protection due to friendly user interface both cloud console and agent.

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

Binks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2017
I can't download any sample yet. Newbie here. I was told need to hit 100 quality post first then only allowed to download for testing.

What do u use @frogboy AV?

Reactions: AtlBo and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You don't need to test them yourself. You can read the results of the MT testers.
These testers are not biased by money or politics. But on the other hand, they test with the newest, freshest, zero-day samples. That is both good and bad.

It depends what kind of threats are most relevant to you. If you are mainly worried about software downloads, then something like Bitdefender is good, or whatever the big name testers recommend.
But if you are mainly worried about email attachments and links, which are typically zero-day, then you need something with a stronger behavior blocker.
Kaspersky is consistently strong in MT testing, but there are other choices, too.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I use Qihoo 360 Total Security or Avast. I have 3 PCs running 360 and the other two Avast. They are both good with Avast getting the vote for hardenability (more pop ups) while 360 gets the nod for system monitoring and innovation (some FPs) on that level.

For total protection, Kaspersky is very hard to match. Seems like they are into innovation a good bit deeper than anyone else, other than maybe ironically (Imo) Qihoo. However, Kaspersky is a full protection package, and 360 an a-v and system monitor.

@shmu26 is right. If you study the info you can find here at MTs, you will find what you are looking for from an a-v. You might also find other ways of adding protection that easily and with very little commitment or resources requirement help you create a much better protected system.

Last edited:

Binks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2017
What about with Bitdefender? They are been rated and high review ...

Reactions: AtlBo

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
What about with Bitdefender? They are been rated and high review ...
Bitdefender Free's March report from tests conducting in the Malware Hub:
https://malwaretips.com/attachments/MalwareTips-av-test-–-march-2017-–-bitdefender-free-antivirus-1-jpg.147080/

Binks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2017
I was given a task this week to come up with a report to compare bitdefender and escan on the corporate version. Our university antivirus is expire and looking for alternative - having hard time deciding this 2 brand. That's why I need to do a test of these 2 provider.

Any tips on the test?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I was given a task this week to come up with a report to compare bitdefender and escan on the corporate version. Our university antivirus is expire and looking for alternative - having hard time deciding this 2 brand. That's why I need to do a test of these 2 provider.

Any tips on the test?
eScan uses Bitdefender's engine so eScan is pretty much guaranteed to do worse in the signature detection department (eScan's signatures aren't going to be as up-to-date as Bitdefender's as they'll update their own before other vendors licensed engine). As for eScan's protection against zero-days I couldn't say. I've never tried it so I'm not aware of what kind of detection methods it has to combat unknown malware.
Bitdefender's behavioural blocking is good enough but it suffers from the same hit-or-miss problem as all behavioural detection systems.

Last edited:

Binks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2017
Have u guys did any test between any kind of antivirus provider? Mind sharing your experience ....

I have tried by downloading some live sample from other website - sometimes Bitdefender works like charm on detection but sometimes escan works like charm also. This seems to be complicated - I would appreciate if any kind forummer is kind to share your kind of test plan ...

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I have tried by downloading some live sample from other website - sometimes Bitdefender works like charm on detection but sometimes escan works like charm also.
Do not conduct malware testing on your host machine or any machine that isn't set up for testing. You're going to need to set up a VM and make use of a VPN if you want to test malware without infecting yourself.
Have u guys did any test between any kind of antivirus provider? Mind sharing your experience ....
I'd suggest looking at the tests in the Malware Hub and comparing results.

Binks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2017
I'm using a separate PC setup for the test without linking to the network avoid infection to others. And I can't download malware in Malware Hub - I'm new here and need to hit 100 quality post before I can download.

D

Deleted member 178

Among the known vendors, there is only 2 serious Endpoints solutions to me: Symantec and Sophos, the rest are weaklings. (of course i don't include pure corporate solutions)

Binks

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 17, 2017
Thanks for sharing @Umbra
Symantec arent known to be very heavy? Reason in Malaysia Symantec is loosing market share is because of support. Sophos no idea; hasnt' gotten in touch with them yet.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.