Advice Request Which browser consumes the least RAM memory? for an old PC!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

KIKIN

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 17, 2020
MS Edge with sleeping tabs and performance settings. it's also had a great history in windows 10 s mode running on limited hardware for schools.
thanks, but I think there must be many other (not popular) = unknown browsers, that consume less ram! Those, the unknown, or unpopular ones, are the ones I'm looking ! Perhaps even those browser that are minimalist versions, can consume tiny RAM memory

Reactions: kylprq

Stargazer_Steve

Level 1
Dec 2, 2022
MS Edge chromium consumes the least with the performance settings enabled, as kylprq stated.

LibreWolf is also light on memory, but Edge still beats it. There's a few tweaks you can do with Firefox/forks of firefox to lower memory usage, if that is your preference of browser:

browser.cache.disk.enable = false
browser.cache.memory.enable = false
browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers = 0
browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo = 3
network.prefetch-next = false

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
Split, Epic, Stack, Comodo, Sidekick browsers are the ones that I have tried that use less resources. You can try all of them and see which fits your needs.

sartic

Level 3
Jun 5, 2020
Hello!

Please:

Which browser consumes the least RAM memory? for an old PC! ....for example, OPERA is very bad at performance.
Try Opera 12.18. Last time I try it was using under 300MB and last Opera over 1GB for same web page. I know that doesn't work for all web pages because it is very old one.
I don't know why Opera becomes hungry for memory. This is test for my web page:

1372 MB opera.exe (1405532KB)
713 MB firefox.exe (730832KB)
412 MB brave.exe (422072KB)
347 MB msedge.exe (356156KB)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

capture_05012023_113854.jpg

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
You need to load same web page for test in all browsers.
OP would need to test it, since his hardware and config matters. All browsers use pretty much the same amount, but K-Meleon uses 4 times less and you can disable javascripts/images on the spot, something that is not so easy in other browsers without extensions, which would add even more usage. By the way, lets not forget about Reduce Memory v1.6 and Process Lasso.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
OP would need to test it, since his hardware and config matters. All browsers use pretty much the same amount, but K-Meleon uses 4 times less and you can disable javascripts/images on the spot, something that is not so easy in other browsers without extensions, which would add even more usage. By the way, lets not forget about Reduce Memory v1.6 and Process Lasso.

Was about to say. K-Meleon would get my vote.

• Thanks
Reactions: KIKIN and piquiteco

KIKIN

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 17, 2020
Slimjet is the best for me ! (Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1, RAM: 1,5 Gb). Thank you to all ! With the other recommended browsers, they gave me a lot of trouble. They work fine on certain pages and many others do not, especially to use WhatsApp web, and access bank accounts, ...and I tried them ALL !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.