Status
Not open for further replies.

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I've read a discussion about this subject, and wanted to ask the same question here to you MTers, in your opinion which browser is better about privacy? Mozilla is going to start including advertisements on their next release, so I'm starting to feel quite worried about it.. Chrome is known for its bad privacy policies.. So what option to take as a precaution would be suitable?

The discussion that I read : Link

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Good article to read.

Opera also has an advertising division, if I'm not mistaken.

I

illumination

Why be worried about ad's in firefox, do just like you would with Chrome, use a ad blocker..

Last edited by a moderator:

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Good article to read.

Opera also has an advertising division, if I'm not mistaken.

"..When Opera ditched its priorietary engine for Blink, the same engine in Chrome, they switched to a semi-open source platform. Still, the rest of Opera is not open, and Opera is in the middle of a massive transition. For its part however, Opera's statement on privacy in its browser is short, to the point, and very reassuring. They collect very little information and all of it is stored as aggregate."

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I racked my brain, :oops:trying to come up with some answer for 'Which browser is better with privacy?'. More recently, I'd read a thread on a post which explained how in order to avoid being :eek:tracked, cookies must be deleted before leaving that site.:confused: I promptly re-enabled "Self Destructing Cookies" on Firefox. When I read the article (<linked> above) I was reminded:rolleyes: of a realization I've come back to ever since joining MalwareTips as I read the very last line, "...if you're worried about your privacy, your browser is less of a problem than where you use it to go on the web, the things you download through it, and what services you sign into with it.".o_O:D;) ..So, I suppose it's more the driver:cool: rather than the :eek:vehicle which determines whether a higher level of privacy is attained.:)

D

Deleted member 178

So, I suppose it's more the driver:cool: rather than the :eek:vehicle which determines whether a higher level of privacy is attained.:)

exact; almost all browsers are quite good about privacy, just look at their settings; if you want a "quasi" state of absolute privacy; use a VPNs & Proxies, use fake email adresses/accounts, change your mac adress, encrypts your datas, etc...More troublesome than efficient...

The truth is once you enter online, you have to accept that your privacy is annihilated because your internet provider log all your activity on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
Only browser I've used the past like 6 months is Opera. No idea about their privacy policy though, I know they use the same engine as chrome now

Sven

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
exact; almost all browsers are quite good about privacy, just look at their settings; if you want a "quasi" state of absolute privacy; use a VPNs & Proxies, use fake email adresses/accounts, change your mac adress, encrypts your datas, etc...More troublesome than efficient...

The truth is once you enter online, you have to accept that your privacy is annihilated because your internet provider log all your activity on the web.

You're totally right, Umbra. But I feel that, if we do such things as fake e-mail accounts, mac address, vpn, no Google account etc., we may lead ourselves to paranoia for sure. :D

Yes, I also believe that once we enter online, our privacy is already at hands of our provider..

I

illumination

It is really a matter of perspective. Going onto the internet, is much like leaving your house and going into public. You have to expect that you will not have privacy in either scenario.
It all really boils down to "the driver" as Umbra stated, on what the user chooses to divulge on the internet that plays the biggest part in privacy.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You have to expect that you will not have privacy in either scenario.
Wear clothes.

I watched a video (or was it on TV), about applying certain face paint designs to your face will scramble public cameras (CCTV), so they cannot determine your identify.

Edit: You can't achieve full anonymity unless you go completely off-the-grid, but that also has it's risks, so I bet a similar technique can be applied online.. to a certain extent.

Last edited:
I

illumination

Wear clothes.

LOL, how did you know :p

I watched a video (or was it on TV), about applying certain face paint designs to your face will scramble public cameras (CCTV), so they cannot determine your identify.

Camouflage is the only pattern i know of that breaks up features, making them not so detectable. Although im sure with todays technology, they may just be able to still grab enough features to do the job.

Edit: You can't achieve full anonymity unless you go completely off-the-grid, but that also has it's risks, so I bet a similar technique can be applied online.. to a certain extent.
Is this an oxymoron? Going off grid and going online just do not appear to fit right in the same sentence ;) :p

There is no way i know of, that a user can hide completely online, and still access all the sites they wish, without facing being turned away by these sites. Now if a person wanted to spend all their time in the deep online, accessing hidden sites, sure, that can be done..

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
No, what I meant is even if you do go OTG there's a risk for your ID to be known.

So when you're Online and you try to mask your ID, you will never to completely unknown. Which goes back to the point above, "there's always a risk" in wherever you are. At least on this planet.

Reactions: illumination
I

illumination

No, what I meant is even if you do go OTG there's a risk for your ID to be known.

So when you're Online and you try to mask your ID, you will never to completely unknown. Which goes back to the point above, "there's always a risk" in wherever you are. At least on this planet.
Agree totally.. Im opinion, there is no such thing as complete privacy on the internet.

You know how many times i have watched people using several tools including VPN's, trying to become anonymous, only to give themselves away by signing into a site, or entering information. Or they cover all bases "except cookies" thinking they are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.