Advice Request Which Disk Defrag Software do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which Disk Defrag Software do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Which Disk Defragmenter Software do you use?

• Auslogics Disk Defrag;
"At a click of a button Auslogics Disk Defrag Free will quickly defragment files on your hard drive, optimize file placement and consolidate free space to ensure the highest data access speed possible.
One of the fastest defraggers in the world, Disk Defrag often takes less than 10 minutes to defragment an average-size hard drive."
Auslogics.com - Disk Defrag

• Defraggler;
"Defraggler speeds up your PC by assembling fragmented files on your machine and organizing them more efficiently. Defraggler does the hard work, so your computer doesn’t have to.
You have full control over which drives, folders and files you defrag. Or simply use the default settings and let Defraggler do the work for you. Simple enough for every day users and flexible enough for advanced users."
piriform.com - defraggler

• O&O Defrag;
"O&O Defrag unleashes the hidden speed of your computer by putting file fragments efficiently and logically back together again. O&O Defrag gives you everything from fully automated defragmentation to a professional set up: everything a professional-grade disk defragmenter software should do. By continuously organizing the files on your hard disk, your computer can read them much quicker. This increases read and write access speed by up to 100% and because the read and write heads have to move much less, we often see hardware lifespan increased by up to 40% too."
O&O Software - Defrag
  • Puran Defrag;
"Puran Defrag is a very simple disk defragmenter which will defrag the files and optimize your system, collecting all the fragments of a file and putting them together, as well as moving some frequently used files and all directories to faster disk areas. This process boosts your hard disk performance and thus overall system speed. In addition it reduces wear and tear on your hard disk, thereby increasing its life span."
Puran Software - Defrag
  • Smart Defrag;
"Smart Defrag not only provides disk defragmentation as any other tool does, but also optimizes it by intelligently streamlining your files based on using frequency. With IObit latest disk defrag engine, it is just as safe for your files as using Windows. And you just need to install & forget it. Smart Defrag 5 will automatically work for you with no data lost."
IObit.com - Smart Defrag
  • Ultra Defrag;
"Simple but efficient defragmentation algorightms.
Defragmentation of NTFS metafiles and streams.
Optimization of NTFS master file tables (MFT).
Automatic hibernation or shutdown after the job completion."
Ultra Defrag.Sourceforge.net

Does Your Computer Need Defragmenting?:
SOURCE: toptenreviews.com -best disk defragmenter

Fragmentation affects computers differently. While there are some similarities between different types of computers, hard drives suffer the greatest impact. They work harder to find fragmented files, and they physically slow as they search. Solid-state drives (SSD), a type of mass-storage device, use flash memory instead of spinning platters to store data. They don't require defragmentation for maintenance as often as PCs. There are reasons to use maintenance software with your SSD, but more about that below...

Why You Shouldn't Defragment a Solid-State Drive;
SSDs function differently than traditional hard drives (HDD). They don't have moving parts, so fragmentation doesn't cause the same issues as it does with HDDs. Many technicians advise against defragmentation on SSDs because it causes unnecessary stress on the drive without positive results. There is truth to that; many professional disk defragmenters have additional utilities for SSDs that don't involve standard defrag scans.

How to Optimize an SDD with Your Disk Defragmenter;
Check your disk defragmenter's description to find out if it offers a storage-management solution for SSDs. Many of these programs change the way your computer stores files, so you prevent fragmentation before it starts. Storage-management features change how your computer saves files. They don't defragment your computer's SSD; instead, they organize files to avoid duplication.
[To read the full article please visit toptenreviews.com]

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
My system has a SSD (PNY 240GB) for both Windows and Linux and an HDD (Western Digital 250GB) for music, wallpapers, OS ISOs, game installation files from places like GOG (no point in redownloading), etc. Used to have entire HDD encrypted using Veracrypt (will probably reencrypt soon).

I use Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro to keep HDD in top shape. I use a software called Tweak-SSD v2 to run a system check so that SSD runs in optimal environment/settings.

f1726b45bb8a41caadc0161db94fdc23.png

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
I've got SSD on my PC and laptop (Samsung 850 Evo 250GB).

Other than that, I've always used Auslogics defrag. I've find it to be the fastest + it has options for TEMP files + other stuff (Skip files larger than... etc). Nowadays I barely use defrag.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the thread :)

I voted : My System has a SSD (Solid-State Drive)
But Before, I always used Windows built-in Defragmenter
Why You Shouldn't Defragment a Solid-State Drive;
SSDs function differently than traditional hard drives (HDD). They don't have moving parts, so fragmentation doesn't cause the same issues as it does with HDDs. Many technicians advise against defragmentation on SSDs because it causes unnecessary stress on the drive without positive results. There is truth to that; many professional disk defragmenters have additional utilities for SSDs that don't involve standard defrag scans.
Same issue for file Shredding : don't use several passes or sowtware / algorithm for HDD

Last edited:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
HDD. Using O&O defrag, sometimes Auslogic disk defrag pro and windows defrag. But O&O for me is the best. It's boot time defrag excels that of Auslogic.While Auslogic has tons of customizations,O&O,just gets the job done and it does it well.

On first install i turn the 'zone' function On,do a boot defrag,then a complete optimization,set automatic defrag functions On and that's all.Nothing to do after.Your pc boots faster,works faster and less hanging.Auslogic is good,but not better i think. Performance gain is not the same,and its automatic functions are a bit buggy sometimes. Otherwise it's a nice product too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.