Advice Request Which Disk Defrag Software do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which Disk Defrag Software do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
IMO, if you use an SSD, you never need a defragmenter, just trim it sometimes
if you use SSD for windows and HDD for normal storage, you also dont need a defragmenter but if you have some games and heavy programs stored in HDD like photoshop, you should defrag those game and program folders to make them load faster

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
It's a while since I used Auslogics Free and I may well be wrong but I seem to recall it may have hijacked my browser and installed the Conduit search engine, or I may be confusing it with Ashampoo. If not I know there was something I didn't like about the Auslogics install. Maybe it tried to get me to download other stuff like BoostSpeed.

I wouldn't switch from Ultra DeFrag to Auslogics Free but if there's another Sharewareonsale giveaway I quite like the look of the Auslogics Pro version.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
It's a while since I used Auslogics Free and I may well be wrong but I seem to recall it may have hijacked my browser and installed the Conduit search engine, or I may be confusing it with Ashampoo. If not I know there was something I didn't like about the Auslogics install. Maybe it tried to get me to download other stuff like BoostSpeed.

I wouldn't switch from Ultra DeFrag to Auslogics Free but if there's another Sharewareonsale giveaway I quite like the look of the Auslogics Pro version.

Not sure about hijacker, but Auslogics does try to push some tweaker thing onto you. I just ignore it cos it's just an irritation that just needs swatting away like a pesky fly:p

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
I`m currently using Puran Defrag, which I found it fast, effective and interesting and most of all free of charge. Auslogics Disc Defrag PRO was extremely slow on performing the optimization and stuck at 33% optimization and heated my CPU making it spin a lot, so I uninstalled it. Alternatively, I use Defraggler Pro with good results. I never use boot time defrag as not needed in windows 7.

Last edited:

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
used Auslogics pro for some time ( giveaway ) but after a couple of days it kept crashing. now I am using smart defrag pro and it serves me quite well :) ( allthough there are way better and more thourough options out there )

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Auslogics Pro doesn't sound so good then. I certainly won't bother with it now.

Regarding the Conduit hijack, that must have been Ashampoo, not Auslogics, but as you say @ElectricSheep, Auslogics definitely tries to get you to install another of their products too, but this is very much the norm these days and they're hardly the only ones doing it.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have a SSD and use both IObit Defrag and O&O Defrag. IObit is scheduled to do a TRIM every night. O&O defrag has a special SSD optimisation feature which I run every now and then.

I used to run the SSD optimizer in Auslogics Defrag Pro, but no longer do. It took a long time to run, and seemed pretty pointless. The extra writes to the SSD really should not matter due to their very long life span, but there was no need to run it.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Hello.I use Iolo Defragger as a part of system mechanic.;)
Like Trickster said, be careful. Iolo is really not a recommended product. I have seen so many pcs getting corrupted with it that i would advised you not to use its defragmenter. Use a product such as Deffragler for example.Better be on the safe side.Thnx for sharing your thoughts though.:)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
In the past when I needed to defrag my hdd, I used the free version of auslogics. Why? Because it has an easy portable version and it's very fast compared to for example defraggler. I used multiple programs to do this job, but auslogics was the best for my needs. Now that I have an ssd, I almost never defrag anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.