Which DNS Server(s) do you use?

• Total voters

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
I wonder why you wanna switch between DNS-es?
I think there is no such app. Maybe there is if you jailbreak but I don't know

DNS Override can change DNS but via VPN connection

Well first of all I read on Internet that some DNS work well in a wifi/network but bad in another . But till now this is not my case .

I asked because maybe sometime a DNS provider has problem and so you switch to another

anyway , as far as I know , you need JB only if you want to change DNS for 3G , not wifi . In fact my iPhone is not JB

Evjl's Rain

Level 40
Content Creator
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
Well first of all I read on Internet that some DNS work well in a wifi/network but bad in another . But till now this is not my case .

I asked because maybe sometime a DNS provider has problem and so you switch to another

anyway , as far as I know , you need JB only if you want to change DNS for 3G , not wifi . In fact my iPhone is not JB
if you wanna have a stable connection with DNS you can enter 2 different DNSes
like Im using 208.67.222.222, 8.8.8.8 for my PC because I dont need adblocking and never experience network drop. When the first server down, the second one will work and you won't notice anything

for mobile devices I use alternate-dns only to block ads. I never have any issue. using 2 different DNSes doesn't work
if I use adguard + google for example, ads won't be blocked

Evjl's Rain

Level 40
Content Creator
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Verified
I'm using the fastest DNS from namebench.
in fact, DNS A is the fastest at 10am but can be the 3rd or 4th place at 7pm. ;)
I have seen google DNS 8.8.8.8 is almost always the fastest, rarely be the second place. 8.8.4.4 is unstable, it used to be at 7th place at a specific time while 8.8.8.8 was the fastest

ISP DNSes can be faster but they are not good enough

D

Deleted member 2913

Currently trying new ISP so trying its DNS too.

New ISP - Jio
Previous ISP - Pacenet

I have used Google DNS with my previous ISP And always worked fast & reliable here

Attached is the screenshot of DnsJumper for few DNS here

Attachments

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
I use DNSJumper from Sordum.

You can select your chosen DNS , check resolve time , or simply let DNSJumper find the fastest for you .

I have a router supplied by my ISP and the settings are locked down tight .
There is no way I can flash the firmware , or use really cool stuff like Tomato.

They still periodically try to switch me back to their chosen DNS , so I stop them by using another great tool from Sordum ...
DNSLock .

Try them out , you will love them ..... they are light , clean ( no bundleware , no phone-home ) and free !
:)

ucyweb

Once, I've used Comodo DNS, but I do not use anymore because it slows the internet connection. I use dns assigned by my ISP. However, I really want to know why should we use a particular dns such as google DNS? for security reasons?

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 76
Content Creator
Trusted
Verified
I was using opendns family shield.
But it was blocking certain sites, and it also conflicted a little with the K-9 proxy.
So I went back to default DNS settings, and all is fine.

Reactions: AtlBo