Advice Request Which DNS Server do you use? /DNS Tunnelling

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which DNS Server(s) do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I wonder why you wanna switch between DNS-es?
I think there is no such app. Maybe there is if you jailbreak but I don't know

DNS Override can change DNS but via VPN connection

Well first of all I read on Internet that some DNS work well in a wifi/network but bad in another . But till now this is not my case .

I asked because maybe sometime a DNS provider has problem and so you switch to another

anyway , as far as I know , you need JB only if you want to change DNS for 3G , not wifi . In fact my iPhone is not JB

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Well first of all I read on Internet that some DNS work well in a wifi/network but bad in another . But till now this is not my case .

I asked because maybe sometime a DNS provider has problem and so you switch to another

anyway , as far as I know , you need JB only if you want to change DNS for 3G , not wifi . In fact my iPhone is not JB
if you wanna have a stable connection with DNS you can enter 2 different DNSes
like Im using 208.67.222.222, 8.8.8.8 for my PC because I dont need adblocking and never experience network drop. When the first server down, the second one will work and you won't notice anything

for mobile devices I use alternate-dns only to block ads. I never have any issue. using 2 different DNSes doesn't work
if I use adguard + google for example, ads won't be blocked

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm using the fastest DNS from namebench.
in fact, DNS A is the fastest at 10am but can be the 3rd or 4th place at 7pm. ;)
I have seen google DNS 8.8.8.8 is almost always the fastest, rarely be the second place. 8.8.4.4 is unstable, it used to be at 7th place at a specific time while 8.8.8.8 was the fastest

ISP DNSes can be faster but they are not good enough

D

Deleted member 2913

Currently trying new ISP so trying its DNS too.

New ISP - Jio
Previous ISP - Pacenet

I have used Google DNS with my previous ISP And always worked fast & reliable here

Attached is the screenshot of DnsJumper for few DNS here

Attachments

• DNS.png
    DNS.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 605

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
I use DNSJumper from Sordum.

You can select your chosen DNS , check resolve time , or simply let DNSJumper find the fastest for you .

I have a router supplied by my ISP and the settings are locked down tight .
There is no way I can flash the firmware , or use really cool stuff like Tomato.

They still periodically try to switch me back to their chosen DNS , so I stop them by using another great tool from Sordum ...
DNSLock .

Try them out , you will love them ..... they are light , clean ( no bundleware , no phone-home ) and free !
:)

ucyweb

May 2, 2017
Once, I've used Comodo DNS, but I do not use anymore because it slows the internet connection. I use dns assigned by my ISP. However, I really want to know why should we use a particular dns such as google DNS? for security reasons?

Reactions: AtlBo

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I was using opendns family shield.
But it was blocking certain sites, and it also conflicted a little with the K-9 proxy.
So I went back to default DNS settings, and all is fine.

Reactions: AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.