Battle Which DNS would you choose for Security and Content blocking?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Last thing ANYONE should want is having Google see EVERYTHING you visit.
Which doesn't matter at all if you don't use your real name with it, and even if you do what risks do you have? Just targeted ads instead of random ones?
I rather have Google data mining me than some supposedly famous privacy-conscious services/orgs trying to do it in my back but pretending they don't and won't...

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_12022019_153246.jpg
    capture_12022019_153246.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 369
  • capture_12022019_153446.jpg
    capture_12022019_153446.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 371
  • capture_12022019_153543.jpg
    capture_12022019_153543.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 367

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Which doesn't matter at all if you don't use your real name with it, and even if you do what risks do you have? Just targeted ads instead of random ones?
I rather have Google data mining me than some supposedly famous privacy-conscious services/orgs trying to do it in my back but pretending they don't and won't...

The "I don't have anything to hide so it's fine" is strong with this one... Sole existence of Google these days is to hoard user data so they make billions out of it. And what are you in it for? You get nothing from it. If you think the use of their crappy services for free, then you don't value your private data enough on any level.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

The "I don't have anything to hide so it's fine" is strong with this one... Sole existence of Google these days is to hoard user data so they make billions out of it.
Of course ! it is a business, not a charity club LOL
if i was Google CEO i would do the same and probably worse ! me too i want yacht, villas, sport cars, private jet, and dozen of hot sexy models as girlfriends.

And what are you in it for? You get nothing from it.
why should i get something? i used their well-made services for free when others ask me to pay cash, yeah... if for you it is nothing...

If you think the use of their crappy services for free, then you don't value your private data enough on any level.
crappy? talk for yourself...

Google Maps? saved me hundreds of times when i was lost in countries i visited or even mine when i need the fastest route possible.
Gmail? most efficient service i ever used for casual mails.
Google Translate? using it daily since i live in a foreign country where i dont master the language, can't live without it..and no way, i will carry a 5kg dictionary with me LOOOOOL
Android? well without it i won't have a phone with decent functionalities, Iphone, no thanks i won't get ripped of....
oh and i forgot, Google Search, yeah well im happy it replaced Yahoo or Netscape LOL

So unless you live in a cave, all those service are very useful and i didn't find any valuable replacements.

My datas? well if google is interested by Umbra and my many fake accounts useless datas, so be it

You blame Google but you still use Windows, right...?
still have a bank account where all your transactions are recorded?
still go to hospital right where every doctors/nurse can access your health datas?

yeah yeah maybe i should open a tinfoil cloth shop, i probably will make a fortune LOOOOL

Last edited by a moderator:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Oh boy your priorities are so messed up I don't even know where to begin. Just because one has access to your personal data, that doesn't mean everyone should just get it all because one does. That's such a moronic and absolutely backwards logic. Also don't be so sure your anon profile is not linked to real you at one point given how big corp tentacles have reach into many things we don't even know yet.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Oh boy your priorities are so messed up I don't even know where to begin. Just because one has access to your personal data, that doesn't mean everyone should just get it all because one does. That's such a moronic and absolutely backwards logic. Also don't be so sure your anon profile is not linked to real you at one point given how big corp tentacles have reach into many things we don't even know yet.

“Priorities?” --- no, I think Umbra is talking about "Realities.”

The more ‘established’ you become in life, the more ‘they’ have your information. In many cases, they need your information. Schools, mortgages, loans, passports, vehicles, jobs, credit cards, ISPs, medical stuff...

In a perfect world, we’d all have absolute privacy.

In the world in which we operate, we don’t get that. Especially if you are ‘established.’

More established = Less Privacy.

I agree with you -- we should not just give our privacy away.

I took a job once where they investigated my entire history going back to birth... and even pre-birth. Did I like that? No. But I did want the job. And it is what it is what it is....

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Come back in the real world my friend, everything you interact in the real world is 10 times more intrusive and potentially dangerous than what Google does with your datas.
Google doesn't ask my credit card, it doesn't ask my incomes or health history, it doesn't ask my previous job experiences, it doesn't share my criminal records with other entities, etc...
Google only get what you willingly expose on the net.

And even when if i use my real Identity, the risks are insubstantial, I don't get my bank account compromised and emptied by Google or MS.
What are you afraid of? give me a concrete example of Google hurting you IRL.

Also, I never said anyone should access my datas, but I prefer it is Google or some well established giants with serious security standards and which are accountable and able to pay if they mess up than some obscure little companies that may disappear in the wind once issues appears.
Instead of bashing tech giants for trivial matters, you should be more worried about how some online shops or government sites handle your REAL sensitive datas (credit card infos, etc...) and how is their level of security. I don't see Google or MS being breached and customers infos being sold online...

If you are so much worried on privacy, you wouldn't even put a feet on internet and even less using Windows as you surely do...

And as @Burrito said I don't talk about priorities but realities. I don't theorize about eventual evil deeds made by Evil Corp. I'm way past that.
Not saying no one forces you to be on internet and even less forcing you to use MS or Google products, you have decent alternatives.

I still expose what I want, nobody forces me to be on internet or put my real infos on the net.

Anyway this isn't the thread for such discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

University already gave my real name to Google and Microsoft -_- . My name is still too common though.
because they requires you to use some Google services (i bet G-Drive) or MS Office account i guess.

You are just confirming what i and @Burrito said, reality defeats ideology; you can of course dislike something but if it is mandatory in your life or job, you have to use it, and i bet @RejZoR won't quit his job if someday it requires him to use some Google services...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Ah............ now this is interesting.

I'll check it out.

Thanks.
There's also NextDNS that relies on filter lists like adblockers. You can choose almost any filter from their list. Since adguard dns's filter list is publicly available, it can do what adguard dns does and more like whitelisting, blacklisting, redirecting, a log of every dns request you make, etc. But you would have to configure the filter lists first while Adguard DNS is simpler. Just set and forget.

From what I've read, only extensions are incapable of usably blocking these trackers. A Pi-hole with lists blocking the suspect domains would suffice.
Actually this is not correct and actually the opposite. PiHole used to be based on the same Adblock syntax that extensions use and host based blocking but now they have stopped supporting Adblock syntax and supports only host based blocking so extensions are more powerful.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.