Battle Which DNS would you choose for Security and Content blocking?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm going to try AdGuard DoH, because I've been having a lot of page load errors lately and not sure if Quad9 is to blame.
I had similar experience with Quad9 in the past as well. I use SimpleDnsCrypt to use DOH and host based adblocking system wide and also have query log enabled so I could see every dns query. With Quad9 I got a lot of server error while cloudflare, adguard, etc works perfectly fine.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
When I was running an ASUS router with Merlin firmware on it, and he released DoT support, he said it was an issue with the default DoT timeout for requests. The only service at the time that had zero issues was cloudflare because it was so fast. Not sure if the DoH implementation has a similar issue, or if Quad9 has other issues.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I have been testing out NextDNS it allows you to use black lists white lists, has lists you can toggle to block things like malware, phishing sites, ads,& trackers, State surveillance sites etc... and gives you detailed analytics of your queries, so you know what is connecting to what and it is pretty fast according DNS Benchmark software benchmark I ran , it ranked at #16 .

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

Sampei Nihira

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 26, 2019
In this forum you love tests.;)
It would be better to test your DNS.
I use AdguardDNS as my favorite DNS and Cloudflare as an alternative DNS.

If I want to do a test I use the web page below:

700.JPG

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
The free version of CleanBrowsing stopped working altogether on my PC. I reinstalled it, but it just doesn't seem to do anything anymore. I need a software that blocks adult websites and can be password-protected.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Code:
DNS Family - https://dnsforfamily.com/#DNS_Servers
OpenDNS - https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/#familyshield
UltraDNS - https://www.publicdns.neustar
As for the software you can try adguard with energized filter.
AdGuard is good. I tested the trial version, but I cannot afford to purchase the premium version, so I uninstalled it.
I have no idea what the Energized filter is and how to install it. That site looks confusing to me.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Attachments

• capture_04122021_164558.jpg
    capture_04122021_164558.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 316
  • capture_04122021_164058.jpg
    capture_04122021_164058.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 343
Reactions: Zartarra

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What is DNS and how does one install it?
No need to install anything, just set it up in your router, windows or a browser by entering 4 numbers, that is all. You can test various DNS services for effectiveness.

Or you can use this utility for a quick setup. Pick Family Safe DNS List, pick one DNS and Apply DNS.

Attachments

• capture_04122021_203922.jpg
    capture_04122021_203922.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 340

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.