Poll Which DNS you use?

Which DNS is Best and which one you use?

• NextDNS

Votes: 41 50.6%
  • Quad9 DNS

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • Cloudflare DNS

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Adguard DNS

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Google DNS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OpenDNS

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Neustar DNS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Amnesia

Level 1
Aug 23, 2021
Wise choice. Let me know if you have some questions about it.
on that topic, I don't really understand the whole R.O.B.E.R.T. thing... is it a DNS? if so, how does it work with other DNSs simultaneously? And if it's not a DNS, then what does it do? I really tried to read about it on your website but still didn't get what it's intended for...

Reactions: simmerskool
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

1.1.1.2 is 1.1.1.1 plus malware protection. I also don't understand why people who are interested in security use 1.1.1.1 and don't use 1.1.1.2

Blocking malware URL's at the DNS is the best place to block them. Given the huge number of website there are in the world a few million URL's to check after finding the correct IP address for the domain name for you will might take an extra millisecond or so. Also because it is done at the server network of the DNS, it does not interfere with anything on your PC.

I also don't understand people adding malware block lists to their adblocker. Default update period of blocklists is often set to 48 or 24 hours. Given the life span of most phishing/malware URL's that makes those lists as effective as adding fingerprints of 10 year old malware to your AV-blacklist data base. On top of that most adblockers restructure the sequential block lists into optimized b-tree like structures. So even when you set the update interval of your blocklists to one hour, the amount of time needed to optimize a malware blocklist of say 100.000 entries (uBO calls it taking a selfie) is huge compared the one millisecond you might lose when using an URL blacklist with maybe 10 million bad URL's at the DNS. Also the numbers game speaks clearly in the advantage of DNS (millions at the DNS some even AI supported against maybe 100 thousend in the malware blocklist of your adblocker).

Long story short: I agee with @TairikuOkami (y);)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
1.1.1.2 is 1.1.1.1 plus malware protection. I also don't understand why people who are interested in security use 1.1.1.1 and don't use 1.1.1.2
I "blame" Cloudflare, unless you are looking for it, you will not find it. They do not want people to break webpages and complain, so it is meant only for experienced users.
Cloudflare is the third best DNS in blocking malware after NextDNS and ControlID, but without an account, it is impossible to make an exception, so it is a fair point.

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
on that topic, I don't really understand the whole R.O.B.E.R.T. thing... is it a DNS? if so, how does it work with other DNSs simultaneously? And if it's not a DNS, then what does it do? I really tried to read about it on your website but still didn't get what it's intended for...
ROBERT is a basic version of Control D. You can enable blocklists to enforce while connected to Windscribe, and custom rules that bypass, block or spoof domains. These only work while connected to Windscribe. Learn More.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I am testing Control D AI filters as of yesterday (mainly with links from my junk-rinch inboxes) and I have to say I am impressed. NextDNS has been beaten. I did not deploy any third-party filters, just Control D/Windscribe proprietary. In strict mode there are some FPs but these can quickly be fixed.

I noticed some public phishing repositories have been blocked by AI filter as well (upon unblocking and accessing content from there, it was all blocked by AI filter as well as well as NRD).

A test side by side will be published soon.

IMG_1513.png
Note: The crypto category wrongly contains advertisement as well as CDNs.

TIBCSI66

Feb 8, 2024
Hi

I have an Android phone.

I want to set up private DNS in Chrome.

These came to mind:

Adguard DNS

KövetkezőDNS

Felhőfény.

Adguard does not have a server in Budapest.

Only in Frankfurt, which is 1300 km.

I like that AdguardDNS and NextDNS block ads in your browser.

It's better to browse this way.

Cloudflare is famous for its speed.

Which do you think I should use?

Or should I not use DNS and install Eset Mobile Security?

Anti-phishing protection is also important to me.

Regards

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Currently, Quad9 as DNS and DoH as well.
Quad9 is among the faster ones. But I think Clouflare is considered by many as one of the fastest. The question is then, how much it actually mean IRL, if you just use one of the 5 that's considered fastest. I have a feeling it's small differences, if you just use one that is considered good.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Quad9 is among the faster ones. But I think Clouflare is considered by many as one of the fastest. The question is then, how much it actually mean IRL, if you just use one of the 5 that's considered fastest. I have a feeling it's small differences, if you just use one that is considered good.
Not sure of relevancy, Gibson Research GRC has an app that tests DNS speeds, IIRC, it's been awhile+++

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.