Battle Which filtering DNS would you choose?

Compare list
NextDNS
Control D DNS
Adguard DNS
AhaDNS

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
I used to run PiHole but with larger filtering List and 2.5Gb fibre the pihole could not keep up. So I switched to NextDNS and I have been running that for a year now. I like it, but I don't like the fact that I can't tell what devices are being blocked...yes, I understand that I can install the NextDNS app on my phone and PC, but that's the limit. How about my Smart TV? How about my Alexas? My Cameras etc. etc. I basically want to block ads, increase privacy and be able to control the times my kids are using the net.

Thank You

Oct 24, 2021
Interesting, will be following.

I use Adguard DNS on my router but that is just as an extra layer for those devices I can't use VPN, uBlock Origin or Brave on. In reality I'm not sure how much it does but as it doesn't affect my transfer speed or browsing in any negative way, I'll leave it there :) ... unless, this thread comes to the conclusion that something else is better ;)

TedCruz

Level 5
Thread author
Aug 19, 2022
I'm using Control D and I'm very satisfied with it. Great performance, very good blocking capabilities and the possibility to use as a proxy for geo blocked content. I have never used NextDNS, though, so I can't compare.
I am currently trying Control D, but I can't find any metrics in terms of who blocked what and how many blocked. Am I missing something? I have logging enabled. I am a data person so I love seeing data.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
How about my Smart TV? How about my Alexas? My Cameras etc. etc.
You can utilize a router that can support DOH/DOT and secure your entire home network ( some thing like am using..a mikrotik one) Oh and there is a new one out with wifi 6 and wpa3 support.
Untitled-1.jpg

and you can force every port 53 ( both tcp and udp) dns traffic to port 443 and nothing will circumvent your rule. Then you can enable " block bypass methods" under the tab " parental control" in next dns to prevent users from using other dns/vpn services.
Untitled-1.jpg

but you may not be able to identify the devices based on its query. You can name a device only if it supports doh/ dot protocol.
Untitled-1.jpg

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
For some reason, Adguard DNS does not connect on my Android device (DNS over TLS). It seems that my ISP is blocking it? NextDNS is working fine with no issues at all.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
NextDNS and I have recently started to block all TLDs except the most commonly used. My main browser is blocking 45% requests.

Attachments

• capture-10302022-114054.jpg
    capture-10302022-114054.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 320
  • capture-10292022-202816.jpg
    capture-10292022-202816.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 379

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Due to the reach of the 300k queries per month i'm looking for an alternative to nextdns.
I'm undecided between control d and ahadns.
Which of the two do you recommend?
Do you have other recommendation?

Reactions: plat and Nevi

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Due to the reach of the 300k queries per month i'm looking for an alternative to nextdns.
I'm undecided between control d and ahadns.
Which of the two do you recommend?
Do you have other recommendation?

Honestly, NextDNS is just plain the best right now. NextDNS > Control D > AdGuard Home. If I were you I'd stick with NextDNS, and even get the paid version. It's very much worth the $20/year.

NextDNS and I have recently started to block all TLDs except the most commonly used. My main browser is blocking 45% requests.

What TDLs are you blocking?

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I used to run PiHole but with larger filtering List and 2.5Gb fibre the pihole could not keep up. So I switched to NextDNS and I have been running that for a year now. I like it, but I don't like the fact that I can't tell what devices are being blocked...yes, I understand that I can install the NextDNS app on my phone and PC, but that's the limit. How about my Smart TV? How about my Alexas? My Cameras etc. etc. I basically want to block ads, increase privacy and be able to control the times my kids are using the net.

Thank You
When you enable IP-address in the Next DNS logs, you can see what is blocked for which IP. When your router supports DHCP reservation, you can assign the same IP-addresses to specified MAC-addresses. MAC addresses are devices related (and unique). With DHCP reservation you have the flexibility of DHCP with the (control) benefits of fixed IP-addresses. This way you can see (even in Next DNS free) which devices are blocked by NextDNS (because a device always gets the same IP-addres). Here is a link explaining it all (lifehacker post)

Most Routers also offer IP/MAC-address based parental control, so you can limit the time devices can acces the internet (when you assign the IP address to a device specific MAC address in your router).

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.