Battle Which filtering DNS would you choose?

Compare list
NextDNS
Control D DNS
Adguard DNS
AhaDNS

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
NextDns>Adguard>Cloudflare>Quad9.

The only thing missing from NextDns is gorhill's in house uBlock filters and one or two adblocking/tracker filters I use that are not available in the supplied filter lists.

I'm hoping NextDns has a BF sale so I can support them because it's one of the few good security services I now use.

Adguard is good too and I own a lifetime subscription but it's lacking some key features NextDns has. Never thought of using the two services together, will have to try that and see how it runs.

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
This is not for Adguard Home, but if you are trying to change the DNS on your TP-Link router to Adguard DNS Public DNS servers you could use the CleanBrowsing DNS (Free) instructions and just use the Adguard DNS Public DNS servers when you get to the step of entering the DNS addresses.

On Adguard For Windows, you go to Settings | DNS Protection to select which DNS you want to use at the operating system level, et cetera.

Or if you do not have Adguard For Windows, on Microsoft Windows itself, you can also change your DNS at the operating system level for each of your internet connections: https://www.howtogeek.com/767564/how-to-change-dns-servers-on-windows-11/.
Thank you for your reply,but i whant Adguard Home because auto-block ads for all device with router,but not work for Tp-Link router Archer AX73 ! ,if change only DNS with Adguard DNS ,i need individual change DNS for all device,and i dont whant this :( i not recomand this router !
NextDNS not block router ( all device ads auto ) !

Reactions: Nevi and Jack

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Thank you for your reply,but i whant Adguard Home because auto-block ads for all device with router,but not work for Tp-Link router Archer AX73 ! ,if change only DNS with Adguard DNS ,i need individual change DNS for all device,and i dont whant this :( i not recomand this router !
NextDNS not block router ( all device ads auto ) !
Supposedly you can set the DNS at the router level which will impact devices connecting to that router:

If that is not enough, you probably should contact Adguard support, there is an option to email them:

Good luck,
- John Jr

Last edited:

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
Supposedly you can set the DNS at the router level which will impact devices connecting to that router:

If that is not enough, you probably should contact Adguard support, there is an option to email them:

Good luck,
- John Jr
Thank you ,i send mesage to support,but Adguard support it is very bad (Adguard forum ) ,i change DNS ipv4 and ipv6 with Adguard DNS,but nothing,all device not block

Reactions: goodjohnjr
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@eXDj The info posted by @goodjohnjr should work. I also have a TP-Link router and the method described works. When it fails with two different DNS (Next and AdGuard), there is probably something wrong on your side reasons I can think of: Do you have the modem/router of your ISP in bridge mode? Did you reboot your TP-Link router. Last but not very likely reason could be that the that the DNS requests were cached after you changed the DNS settings, try shutting down both your ISP-modem and your TP-link modem and check again (whether ads are blocked)

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
@eXDj The info posted by @goodjohnjr should work. I also have a TP-Link router and the method described works. When it fails with two different DNS (Next and AdGuard), there is probably something wrong on your side reasons I can think of: Do you have the modem/router of your ISP in bridge mode? Did you reboot your TP-Link router. Last but not very likely reason could be that the that the DNS requests were cached after you changed the DNS settings, try shutting down both your ISP-modem and your TP-link modem and check again (whether ads are blocked)
i send you PM for all with router tp-link ,try dis AdGuard DNS — ad-blocking DNS server ,and please make screen with your settings or send me PM,if work for you ,I want to choose from among NextDNS and Adguard DNS ,to block all device,exemple,if i have new smatphone connect to my wifi,i whant to this dns apps to block all ads
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
"
RECOMMENDED
NextDNS for Routers
Only works on routers that can run executables "
My router NOT work ! TP-Link Archer AX 73 not can run .exe :( I whant to sell this router,NOT SUPPORT OPENSOURCE FLASH !!!
NOT BUY TP-Link Archer ax 73 !

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@eXDj The info posted by @goodjohnjr should work.

1669225426852.png

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Thank you ,i send mesage to support,but Adguard support it is very bad (Adguard forum ) ,i change DNS ipv4 and ipv6 with Adguard DNS,but nothing,all device not block
You are welcome, I recommend emailing AdGuard support, that support page that I linked has an option for emailing them.

DNS level ad blocking is not as good as the ad blocking from a web browser extension (uBlock Origin, Adguard Browser Extension, Ghostery, et cetera), a web browser with built-in ad blocking like Brave Browser, or an ad blocking program like Adguard For Windows (lifetime license) or Adguard For Android (lifetime license) or Blokada, et cetera.

I use DNS level ad blocking as one layer of ad blocking among several layers of ad blocking across various devices / programs that do allow me to change the DNS.

Example: I use AdGuard DNS on: my router, on Android through AdGuard For Android (lifetime license) or through the Private DNS option in Android, on AdGuard For Windows (lifetime license) or through Windows network settings, and sometimes in my web browsers through their DNS Over HTTPS option if necessary.

On Android, I use that alongside a web browser with built-in ad blocking like Brave Browser, I am currently trying Adguard For Android (lifetime license) with Adguard DNS set as the DNS through that program, and I mostly use ad-free apps (free, open source, mostly ad free) or apps that do not have annoying ads when possible.

On Windows it is about the same, except I use Microsoft Edge instead of Brave Browser with Malwarebytes Browser Guard & AdGuard Browser Assistant since I am trying AdGuard For Windows (lifetime license).

I got 9 lifetime AdGuard licenses for only $20-something on StackSocial, so that is something to consider if you want to use more than just DNS level ad blocking on some of your devices that AdGuard can be installed on, and / or you can use those other free options that I mentioned.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
On Windows it is about the same, except I use Microsoft Edge instead of Brave Browser with Malwarebytes Browser Guard & AdGuard Browser Assistant since I am trying AdGuard For Windows (lifetime license).
Have you noticed any browser slowdown, I tested AdGuard windows a few week back, but stopped using it since it was affecting page loading speed too much switched back to extensions based which does not affect the page loading speed anything notable on my devices.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

^please see in your smartphone,block ads ?
Sorry, now I understand. use firefox with uBlockOrigin as my browser. On my Android based TV-set top box I see in-video ads when playing youtube. So you are right that those tyoes of in-media ads are not blocked at DNS level. Cosmetic filters are to complex because a DNS filter only filters the connection requests.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Cosmetic filtering isn't possible on DNS-level. Apart from this, DNS filterlists do the same thing as in browser extensions etc., even regarding third party requests.
Which is part of the reason that I said that it was not as good, because cosmetic filtering matters to many people, and pop-up ad blocking et cetera is something else that DNS filtering does not seem to be as good at dealing with as completely; so I recommend not using it alone, if possible, and use it as part of a layered ad blocking strategy like I shared already.

The same with security, I recommend a layered strategy, when possible.

Last edited:

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Have you noticed any browser slowdown, I tested AdGuard windows a few week back, but stopped using it since it was affecting page loading speed too much switched back to extensions based which does not affect the page loading speed anything notable on my devices.
I have not been testing it long, but I do not notice the slowdown on my desktop computer on Windows 11, but I do notice a slow-down on my mobile phone on Android; probably because I have a budget mobile phone OnePlus Nord N200 5G with less RAM, so I assume that it would not be noticeable on a phone with more RAM & a better CPU.

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Which is part of the reason that I said that it was not as good, because cosmetic filtering matters to many people, and pop-up ad blocking et cetera is something else that DNS filtering does not seem to be as good at dealing with as completely; so I recommend not using it alone, if possible, and use it as part of a layered ad blocking strategy like I shared already.

The same with security, I recommend a layered strategy.
I agree with your motivation, that I missed in your original post.
Edit: sometimes is ad- and tracker blocking on DNS-level the only way, e.g. concerning smart TV's.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I agree with your motivation, that I missed in your original post.
Edit: sometimes is ad- and tracker blocking on DNS-level the only way, e.g. concerning smart TV's.
Good, no problem.

Yep, that is why I use it in my layered strategy, even if that is the only option, it is better than nothing, so that is why I usually recommend it regardless of whether it is the only option or not. ;)

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Three days ago, I really had a bad experience with my Iphone 13: it went crazy hot and completely discharged itself. I made a trip to the Apple Store to check my battery. It was fine, So I deleted Windscribe ( installed but disabled), NextDNS, disabled Private Relay and got rid of all the gadgets on the lock screen. Two days ago, at bedtime, my Iphone was fully charged. In the morning, the charge was still at 97%.
So I think I had an app conflict and my phone froze!
On my Ipad, I only have NextDNS enabled, and the performance is good. From my point of view, this is the way to go for me!

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.