Which Firewall should I use with Avira Pro?

icerulez

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
hello everybody, i just bought avira pro antivirus for 3 pc 6 years license,

i need firewall with it, windows firewall is poor i think,

by the way my operating system is windows 10 x64

cpu i7 3770
ram 8gb ddr 3
256 gb ssd

i need your ideas;):rolleyes:

Reactions: darko999

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why do you think Windows Firewall is poor? There is no HIPS / IDS, or Pop-ups to ask Inbound/Outbound connections, but it's no sloucher.

By default, Avira Antivirus and Suite utilises Windows Firewall, as a replacement to their own. You could try TinyWall, Windows Firewall Control and those sorts, if you're interested.

For free, I imagine the likes of Comodo Firewall, ZoneAlarm Firewall, PrivateFirewall will be suggested by others.

icerulez

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
i don't know why i think like this really. i just wanted to see actual connections hosts etc like glasswire firewall, but i want to blocking system for probably harmful hosts or ip adresses, i will try tinywall thank you for opinion :rolleyes:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Personally the only firewalls that I care for are Comodo Firewall, PrivateFirewall (a pretty rock solid firewall with a lot of features although I don't know if they work well or not), and Agnitum Firewall (not free). I've had internet speed problems using Avira/Comodo combo a while ago (over a year) but that could be fixed now or have been only my computer. You could also use ZoneAlarm (a basic firewall with free version).

Comodo Free Firewall | Firewall Protection Software for PC
https://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html
Outpost Firewall Pro: The Essential Personal Firewall
ZoneAlarm Free Firewall - Personal Computer Firewall Software

Personally I recommend either Comodo or PrivateFirewall whether you are considering free or paid. PrivateFirewall has a older UI and maybe a turn off for some. Comodo has the most modern and easiest to use (in my opinion) UI.

All of these support Windows 7,8, and 10.

Reactions: LabZero

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
It depends on the user itself, I have to say that I run NOD32AV plus Comodo Firewall, I have VirusCope and Sandbox both Disabled, I have disabled trust trusted applications and I have FW in Customruleset mode. Basically it works good and light, I have similar computer spec to yours and it runs smooth. The HIPS module in CF is up to you, I don't know if you really need it.

icerulez

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
here is my opinion for tinywall,,

i just uninstalled this software, i could not connect to the online games like world of tanks & armored warfare,
even this mode were learning mode... :mad::confused: ı will try comodo thank you for opinions o_O

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
here is my opinion for tinywall,,

i just uninstalled this software, i could not connect to the online games like world of tanks & armored warfare,
even this mode were learning mode... :mad::confused: ı will try comodo thank you for opinions o_O
Yes, comodo should work perfectly fine for firewall. Frankly, I haven't tried the newest version yet, so can you please post how good the new version is? As others stated, ZoneAlarm is another very good option if Comodo doesn't work for you.

icerulez

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
omg comodo software ceo is turkish LOL who is this man :eek::D

Yes, comodo should work perfectly fine for firewall. Frankly, I haven't tried the newest version yet, so can you please post how good the new version is? As others stated, ZoneAlarm is another very good option if Comodo doesn't work for you.
i heard something about outpost security, have u ever tried it mate ?

i found something mates, is this site trustworthy ?

Results and comments - www.matousec.com

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@icerulez:

Well Matousec as far from concern is accurate possible by reference, if you will compare the capabilities of Firewall majority provides minor protection unlike Comodo, Privatefirewall and few others which are full blown.

But here's a twist, the configuration of a third party firewall are complex and time consuming but still its your choice.

Windows Firewall should be a supplement for you since the default configuration is engaged and has already automated silently. Few popups that needs your attention prior of possible incoming connection.

I

illumination

I game as well on my Asus ROG, and I utilize Windows Firewall "Windows 10" and Windows Defender, along with appguard. Windows firewall is more then enough, and as you are probably now aware, a lot less hassle with gaming.

H

hjlbx

I game as well on my Asus ROG, and I utilize Windows Firewall "Windows 10" and Windows Defender, along with appguard. Windows firewall is more then enough, and as you are probably now aware, a lot less hassle with gaming.

@illumination

I thought you got a bit vexed with AG. Get it all sorted out ?

Sorry, not trying to hijack thread...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.