Battle Which Free Uninstaller: IObit vs Geek vs Revo?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Always, before install any program on my pc - FIRST I check their official page. If ''about us'' showing only their facebook/twitter page without information about the author I never download it. 99% of chinese program's sites never show who is behind the app, which country etc.
foobar, eset, voodoo shield, daum pot, hwinfo64, msi afterburner, qtox, 7zip - which one is from chinese, help me to uninstall it :D
Chinese doesn't means bad, this is kind of racism from you and many uninformed people generalizing after reading articles, the same way i would say i will never buy German cars despite their high quality because during 2nd World war they were Nazi... you get that you sound ridiculous , right?

You even push further saying by reading "about us" is giving you the whole picture? "about us" means nothing, who know if their investors are Chinese financial and investment groups, those don't need to be mentioned in "About Us" LOL.

Not saying i would use 3000 times a well made Chinese software rather than a very "trustable " western crap soft, example: Shadow Defender, best Chinese light virtualization software

I don't care where the software come from, i care how it performs.

You have privacy fears? learn how to read connections logs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antus67

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Nov 3, 2019
The reality is that are all good programs, but my vote goes to IObit, for the following reasons.

It can scan for leftovers after rebooting. If an uninstaller wants to restart Windows, you can let it do so and then scan for loftovers afterwards. The others, can't do this.

It has a batch uninstall mode which allows you to select multiple programs to uninstall. It will uninstall them one by one and then scan for leftovers from all of them. You can also scan for leftovers after rebooitng, when using batch mode.

All three programs do a very good job of finding leftovers. I haven't compared them lately, but there should not be that much difference between them.

Having said all of that, my uninstaller of choice these days is Total Uninstall. It takes snapshots before and after installing software, so it has a record of every file and registry key created. It uses this data to remove all traces of software you uninstall. It works so well, that is is the only uninstaller I use on my main computer. The only downside is that rather than installing software by launching the setup exe, you need to right click on it in Explorer and select Monitor with Total Uninstall.

It's not cheap, but you can get 20% off a the moment at BitsDuJour.
From time to time you can get at 50% discount, at the same BitsDuJour link.

I tried a number of alternatives to Total Uninstall which create snapshots (including Revo), however Total Uninstall works much better.
IObit is my choice I've tried the other 2 they are good but IObit is my preference

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Always, before install any program on my pc - FIRST I check their official page. If ''about us'' showing only their facebook/twitter page without information about the author I never download it. 99% of chinese program's sites never show who is behind the app, which country etc.
foobar, eset, voodoo shield, daum pot, hwinfo64, msi afterburner, qtox, 7zip - which one is from chinese, help me to uninstall it :D
Okay this sounds, sorry to say but ridiculous. Why not avoid products that were even assembled in China. In that case I wonder what you would still be using.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Okay this sounds, sorry to say but ridiculous. Why not avoid products that were even assembled in China. In that case I wonder what you would still be using.
Just misinformed people blindly following a trend made by biased articles manipulated by state actors.
Sure you can find several Chinese stuff which are shady or limit illegal, like everywhere, but not all of them.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@banizasboza I use a Chinese antivirus, browser and download manager, as well as other Chinese software. I also use a number of Chinese apps on my Chinese smartphone. Despite that, my devices remain virus free, including my Chinese computers, tablet and TV boxes.

My devices remain virus free, because I am not click happy and don't open random files. It has got absolutely nothing all all to do with using or not using Chinese software. The idea that your computer is virus free, just because you are not using Chinese software, is ridiculous.

With regards to the theft of Malwarebytes signatures by IObit, while I don't condone their behaviour, it's important to note that they were not infecting users computers or stealing users' data. There are many software developers from countries other than China who have demonstrated that they are not trustworthy. Are you going to avoid software from these countries too?

I believe that rather than avoiding software from an entire Country, it's much better to judge software individually.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
@banizasboza I use a Chinese antivirus, browser and download manager, as well as other Chinese software. I also use a number of Chinese apps on my Chinese smartphone. Despite that, my devices remain virus free, including my Chinese computers, tablet and TV boxes.

My devices remain virus free, because I am not click happy and don't open random files. It has got absolutely nothing all all to do with using or not using Chinese software. The idea that your computer is virus free, just because you are not using Chinese software, is ridiculous.

With regards to the theft of Malwarebytes signatures by IObit, while I don't condone their behaviour, it's important to note that they were not infecting users computers or stealing users' data. There are many software developers from countries other than China who have demonstrated that they are not trustworthy. Are you going to avoid software from these countries too?

I believe that rather than avoiding software from an entire Country, it's much better to judge software individually.

Which Chinese browser and download manager do you use roger?

Reactions: Cortex

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
but it has a feature I use, where it can check for updated versions of files you have previously download.
Isn't that on an older version of FlashGet v2.x which is more than 10 years old? Isn't SUMo a better alternative that checks for updates for all softwares (including portable ones) in one click?

Reactions: Cortex

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Isn't that on an older version of FlashGet v2.x which is more than 10 years old? Isn't SUMo a better alternative that checks for updates for all softwares (including portable ones) in one click?
It's 1.9.6 from 2007. If it finds an updated installer it automatically downloads it, whereas SUMo can only take you to the software's website. I also recently started using Internet Download Accelerator Pro, which has the same functionality. In time, it will replace FlashGet with it, but for now, I have some downloads in both. IDA and FlashGet are the only download managers that have the ability to check download files for updates.

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
If you have privacy worries, disable connection for Iobit uninstaller in Firewall. It is the best free uninstaller imo. I use the portable version from portableapps.com platform. I also have old version of Revo uninstaller pro from giveaway which still works well.

It's 1.9.6 from 2007. If it finds an updated installer it automatically downloads it, whereas SUMo can only take you to the software's website. I also recently started using Internet Download Accelerator Pro, which has the same functionality. In time, it will replace FlashGet with it, but for now, I have some downloads in both. IDA and FlashGet are the only download managers that have the ability to check download files for updates.
I recommend Download Master. Russian version of IDA pro which they provide for free. The installer wizard is in Russian but app itself is in English upon install. But if you have already paid for IDA pro, you may not need it.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I recommend Download Master. Russian version of IDA pro which they provide for free. The installer wizard is in Russian but app itself is in English upon install. But if you have already paid for IDA pro, you may not need it.
I bought a license for IDA Pro. It was suspiciously cheap on eBay, however the seller assured me it was legit. When I contacted the publisher to try and confirm this, they never replied.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
how about total uninstall , anyone here experience with it? I do have an old licensce for revo pro v3 , but that one keeps on nagging for buying / upgrding to v4. if total uninstall is better , I might buy a license ;) :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.