Which is the best Antivirus for Real-Time protection (Heuristic / Behaviour)?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I vote based on the full potentials of the AVs and the real results according to my experience:
best paid AVs: Kaspersky (tweaked or with TAM), Emsisoft with tweaked settings to allow only safe apps
best free: comodo firewall or CIS with proactive, Avast with fully tweaked and hardened mode + disabled windows script host

resource usage: comodo < avast < emsisoft < kaspersky

easy to use for novice users: kaspersky > avast > emsisoft > comodo

heuristics: kaspersky >= emsisoft

BB: kaspersky and emsisoft. Both may fail in specific types of malware but maybe better than the other in other cases

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hey @public enemy, the results you're seeing here are for the best realtime protection in terms of Behavior Blocker and Heuristics, NOT the best effective/resultant realtime protection.

This can also be said from the fact that most users, including me, have voted for BD, Emsi, others, but Comodo has received lesser votes - because of the parameters mentioned to be considered (BB and Heur).
FYI many users here consider Comodo FW as one of the best (probably the best) protection though some of them might not be using it because of a few usability issues and bugs. It's tough, pretty tough to crack!

You can find many informative threads here on CFW or CIS and how to use it in Proactive mode for ultimate zero-day protection using its auto-sandbox and more.
You can find a famous CFW setup by @cruelsister here and check it out for yourself. Just keep away from CCAV for now.

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
If your'e considering the best, it's Kaspersky no doubt. but each solution has its own ups and downs. for example, comdo fw can be combined with other solutions listed here and it will protect you in its own way. from what's listed here, i'll go with comodo,avast or bitdefender.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
In my own opinion the overall best for protection for the paid solutions are Kaspersky and Emsisoft not a lot between them.

Emsisoft got a very good behaviour blocker probably the best of them all but sometime's generate too many notifications might not be the best for a novice user coupled with Bitdefender signature's a very good product.

Kaspersky aslo a very good product don't know much about the behaviour blocker not realy tested that part of the product yet, Kaspersky Application Control which is quite good, i think the signature's in Kaspersky are a bit better than Bitdefender for some malwares.

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Among the free AVs, Qihoo 360 has the strongest zero-day protection.
Baidu free also has some good zero day protection thanks to their heuristics and cloud detection. I agree Qihoo has strong zero day components, one of the best. I'm testing out Baidu right now and it's heuristics + cloud can detect very new threats which many vendors don't have signatures for. I uploaded some Heur detections from Baidu to VT just now which only "next-gen" antiviruses can detect at the moment (Endgame, Crowdstrike, Invincea, etc.)

Just my 2 cents.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Voting for Emsisoft on my part after having tested a lot of AV and security suites. The reason Emsisoft comes out on top for me over others is the customer support, ease of installation and maintaince, how light it is on resources and it plays nicely with softwares/games/apps I used daily. It really has been a install and forget security suite for me.

I used to run multiple security suites to protect myself ( example, Emsisoft or other AV, zemana antilogger, Voodooshield, etc) but find that I am comfortable just using emsisoft internet security and it has protected.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Baidu free also has some good zero day protection thanks to their heuristics and cloud detection. I agree Qihoo has strong zero day components, one of the best. I'm testing out Baidu right now and it's heuristics + cloud can detect very new threats which many vendors don't have signatures for. I uploaded some Heur detections from Baidu to VT just now which only "next-gen" antiviruses can detect at the moment (Endgame, Crowdstrike, Invincea, etc.)

Just my 2 cents.
Baidu AV is still 2015?

Baidu Antivirus 5.0

Is their AV and Internet Security Suite free?

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.