Which is the fastest Firefox Quantum version ?

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi,

My FF version is 56 and I plan to change to more recent one if :

1. I can keep my old 'legacy add-ons' in the quantum version. How can I still use these old add-ons ?
2. Low in CPU and memory usage

According to your experience, which is the fastest Firefox Quantum version you with low CPU and memory usage ?

Thanks in advance.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Latest v. 68.0.1 is run sandboxed, yet it's usually almost instant on my hardware and very reasonable with memory. I mean, it can vary with one's habits, demands and hardware. Theoretically, one should run the very latest, regardless of legacy add-ons because of general improvements and potentially exploitable vulnerabilities that each release addresses. If you want, here are the changelogs for the various Firefox versions.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Yes, I know that now it's webextension add-ons. I know that we could still use old add-ons in FF Quantum with some settings to modify.

You can't use legacy add-ons in quantum versions. As always, latest version is always gonna be the best one.

Yes, it's true that it depends on our own habits, demands and hardware.
Despite these limits, which version was the one you like the most ?

Latest v. 68.0.1 is run sandboxed, yet it's usually almost instant on my hardware and very reasonable with memory. I mean, it can vary with one's habits, demands and hardware. Theoretically, one should run the very latest, regardless of legacy add-ons because of potentially exploitable vulnerabilities that each release addresses. If you want, here are the changelogs for the various Firefox versions.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
This one--68.0.1. Fast, reliable and stable. All versions since Firefox 64 bit Quantum first came out have been speedy but this latest one works flawlessly with Sandboxie and three browser security extensions. There is nothing more I could ask of this browser but you can't say that for everybody--others have preferences in browsers that are equally as justified. Chrome, yeah it's fast and its search engine is a leader, but we now know it's a major data miner, tracker and privacy invader. Let's hope Firefox never monetizes things like that.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
You can probably try Waterfox. For a faster version that can use some legacy addons, you can probably experiment with Waterfox Alpha.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.