Battle Which laptop is better? Acer vs Dell vs HP vs Lenovo (on budget)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Nah I don't believe it. A repaste will solve thermal related issues. If you want to run Workstation based apps then both desktop and laptops(with 7700k or 8700k) are expensive with Top end GPUs from AMD or Nvidia.
Even Alienware, ASUS Rog, Razer( Worst crap PC ever produced) are riddled with heat issues.
It took me nearly a year to fix my Alienware thermal issues. Repaste and optimal repadding did the trick. GTA V on ultra never crosses above 65C on both CPU and GPU(near passive fans). As for witcher 3 on high settings tops out CPU 65C and GPU at 75C with active fans running at 2500-4000rpms.
On max fans it will be 10C cooler.
I had an Asus ROG and a friend has a Predator and never had an issue with heat even when playing BF4 among others on ultra.But i guess it depends!!
Nevertheless in an average priced laptop you will get significantly more heat problems than a purpose built gaming laptop:)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I had an Asus ROG and a friend has a Predator and never had an issue with heat even when playing BF4 among others on ultra.But i guess it depends!!
Nevertheless in an average priced laptop you will get significantly more heat problems than a purpose built gaming laptop:)
I repaste every machine after 6 months, so recently did a repaste on lenovo g500 and that reduced the heat by 5c.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Anything that reduces heat is good!!(y)
Exactly. 5C cooler at idle is very good for me considering its running at 2.4GHz constantly and temps are at 35C with ambient temps around 28-35C. On full load its under 60C previously it would go 70-80C. While on Alienware the cpu and gpu temps were around 98C, now reduced to 72-73C even with those high ambient temps.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Water cooling is the best and should be a mandatory item on high end laptops!;):LOL:
ASUS ROG GX700VO-VS74K 17.3" Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6820HK (2.70 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 64 GB DDR4 Memory 1 TB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop - Newegg.com
01.jpg

Ambient room temperature for me when I'm gaming is a major factor especially with summer fast approaching!:rolleyes:

I may need to do something like this:LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Water cooling is the best and should be a mandatory item on high end laptops!;):LOL:
ASUS ROG GX700VO-VS74K 17.3" Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6820HK (2.70 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 64 GB DDR4 Memory 1 TB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop - Newegg.com
01.jpg

Ambient room temperature for me when I'm gaming is a major factor especially with summer fast approaching!:rolleyes:

I may need to do something like this:LOL::LOL:

Its almost obsolete these days because its replaced by more powerful specs GX800VH with 7820HK upto 4.5GHz with liquid dock and dual GTX 1080.
https://www.asus.com/in/Laptops/ROG-GX800VH-7th-Gen-Intel-Core/

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I don't know which one is stronger but 6 years ago I was working in a place that repairs laptops and from what I remember Apple and Hp Had the best quality among others.
brands like Samsung, Dell, Asus, and Acer are not that good and you have to repair it after some time.I mean hardware problems.
I vote for HP:)

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Dell for easy servicing w/o warranty void and upgrades.

How iGPU increases longevity of a laptop?
Because its already built for long life processing. Out of 100% there is only 10% of Processor failure in a laptop unless you try to mess up manually. While in case of dGPU there are many factors the laptop would get worn out, to say simple an incompatible driver could cause the problem and the result is heat and the heat is in majority times responsible for all the chaos.
Nah I don't believe it. A repaste will solve thermal related issues. If you want to run Workstation based apps then both desktop and laptops(with 7700k or 8700k) are expensive with Top end GPUs from AMD or Nvidia.
Even Alienware, ASUS Rog, Razer( Worst crap PC ever produced) are riddled with heat issues.
It took me nearly a year to fix my Alienware thermal issues. Repaste and optimal repadding did the trick. GTA V on ultra never crosses above 65C on both CPU and GPU(near passive fans). As for witcher 3 on high settings tops out CPU 65C and GPU at 75C with active fans running at 2500-4000rpms.
On max fans it will be 10C cooler.
Not every one can afford a beast like yours and not every one is tech savvy to disassemble their laptop every 6 months to just keep it running cool.
So its better avoid a laptop which is just powerful in the names and not practically like yours!

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Because its already built for long life processing. Out of 100% there is only 10% of Processor failure in a laptop unless you try to mess up manually. While in case of dGPU there are many factors the laptop would get worn out, to say simple an incompatible driver could cause the problem and the result is heat and the heat is in majority times responsible for all the chaos.

Not every one can afford a beast like yours and not every one is tech savvy to disassemble their laptop every 6 months to just keep it running cool.
So its better avoid a laptop which is just powerful in the names and not practically like yours!
CPU fails rarely, its the motherboard that dies out early due to excessive heat.
My beast is now obsolete (in terms of CPU and GPU) and one thing I want to tell you, I still use my lenovo g500 as a daily driver and it costs 1/10th of Alienware and still I repaste and clean it every year or two.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I bought and sold computers in my spare time for about 3 yrs, about 250 all toll which included all of these brands and others. I never had a customer return a Lenovo, not one. Hp, rarely. Acer, acceptable rate. Dell, horrifying rate of returns. I guess you now know how I voted.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
CPU fails rarely, its the motherboard that dies out early due to excessive heat.
That is what I actually meant, CPU and MB are like completely compatible while the dGPU is the foreigner here, it is the one which will cause the Laptop to die faster than any components. Its like "Heat Cancer for MB's"
I still use my lenovo g500 as a daily driver and it costs 1/10th of Alienware and still I repaste and clean it every year or two.
Thats good for you, but again not every one want to tear up their laptop and polish it often on the inside!

@Atatrah I hope you have found an answer for your query. Hope you invest on a reliable product.:)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
What Im using:
Gaming: I use ASUS for 4-5 yrs (forgot the model but somehow start with K-series).
- use Core i7 (non-U version).
- 8GB RAM
- 2GB RAM nVidia (forgot model no).

Banking/office productivity: I use ASUS UX305 series
- use Core M (being light in terms of heat generation due to low power usage).
- 4GB RAM

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Another very good brand, I would rate the same as Lenovo, and you have 2 of them! You rich people.
What Im using:
Gaming: I use ASUS for 4-5 yrs (forgot the model but somehow start with K-series).
- use Core i7 (non-U version).
- 8GB RAM
- 2GB RAM nVidia (forgot model no).

Banking/office productivity: I use ASUS UX305 series
- use Core M (being light in terms of heat generation due to low power usage).
- 4GB RAM

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Another very good brand, I would rate the same as Lenovo, and you have 2 of them! You rich people.
Not rich, just that I prefer something which I have been using without issues.
I tried other brands as well: Acer, Levono, Toshiba, Dell.
Except Dell, they all give me problem after 1 year. Dell Im okay with it, only thing I don't like is the design lol

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Well you're not only rich but lucky, then again if a product has even a 20% failure rate that leaves 80% possible customer satisfaction, I'm sure that's good with some producers, reminds me of the old saying, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.