Advice Request Which Linux Distro is the best for dual boot

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
I'm facing a problem, after download & burn Zorin OS to a flash drive using Etcher or Rufus (MBR partition system) when try to install alongside Windows there's no install alongside Windows option. I've 2 drive, one 128 GB SSD (Windows 10 installed) & one 500 GD HDD. After entering USB flash drive & boot from it, it showing no OS found then only 2 option either erase or something else.
I've tested it on another system ( no SSD only 500 GB HDD 2 partition Windows 10 installed MBR file system ) but same result there's no install alongside Windows option found. What's the problem? Should I try with Linux Mint? Could you please give me any solution to get rid of it??? 🙏🙏🙏 Thanks in advance ❤️❤️❤️

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I'm facing a problem, after download & burn Zorin OS to a flash drive using Etcher or Rufus (MBR partition system) when try to install alongside Windows there's no install alongside Windows option. I've 2 drive, one 128 GB SSD (Windows 10 installed) & one 500 GD HDD. After entering USB flash drive & boot from it, it showing no OS found then only 2 option either erase or something else.
I've tested it on another system ( no SSD only 500 GB HDD 2 partition Windows 10 installed MBR file system ) but same result there's no install alongside Windows option found. What's the problem? Should I try with Linux Mint? Could you please give me any solution to get rid of it??? 🙏🙏🙏 Thanks in advance ❤️❤️❤️
Did you make a free space ( un-allocated space) of 20 GB on either of your hard disks by re-sizing your windows partition?

Reactions: anirbandutta01

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Did you make a free space ( un-allocated space) of 20 GB on either of your hard disks by re-sizing your windows partition?
I made 80 GB free space (unallocated) from my HDD. But should I do same thing with another drive SSD? Which installed Windows 10. And after create /, /home, /root Where should I place boot loader? My existing Window 10 SSD / Partition C or my 500 HDD / partition D ?

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I made 80 GB free space (unallocated) from my HDD. But should I do same thing with another drive SSD? Which installed Windows 10. And after create /, /home, /root Where should I place boot loader? My existing Window 10 SSD / Partition C or my 500 HDD / partition D ?
Well then, I assume your windows is 64 bit and the downloaded Linux version too is 64 bit, try different distros, Use the most common ones like Ubuntu or Fedora. If nothing works go with the manual partition way. There are a lot of tutorials on how to do it is available in youtube. Use the search button it always helps.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
@anirbandutta01 if you are just starting to use linux now, you don't want to learn it all at once and all in one day, take it slow. Consider that @Brahman said start using more common distro, to familiarize yourself with Linux. My own experience, I have known Linux for over 23 years, since I used to sell CDs in newsstands, but I always gave up using them, especially in the beginning. That's exactly why, because I wanted to learn everything in 1 day, and Linux is not like that, take it easy. Never give up, if you run into any problems, that's normal, that's part of every operating system. ;)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello! Based on your computer configuration, any of the three Linux distributions you mentioned - Linux Mint Cinnamon, Ubuntu GNOME, or Fedora KDE Plasma - should work well for a dual boot setup.

To install Linux alongside Windows 10, you will need to:

1. Create a bootable USB drive or DVD with your chosen Linux distribution. You can use a tool like Rufus or Etcher to create the bootable media.
2. Insert the bootable USB drive or DVD into your computer and restart it.
3. Boot from the USB drive or DVD by pressing the appropriate key at startup. This key is usually F2, F10, or F12, but it may vary depending on your computer's manufacturer.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Linux alongside Windows. During the installation process, you will be prompted to choose how much space to allocate to each OS. It is recommended to allocate at least 20GB for the Linux partition.
5. When the installation is complete, reboot your computer and choose which OS you want to use at startup.

As for whether installing Linux alongside Windows will harm your SSD, it should not cause any harm as long as you allocate enough space for each OS and make sure to follow the installation instructions carefully.

I recommend allocating around 40GB of space for the Linux partition, with at least 10GB for the root partition, 2-4GB for the swap partition, and the rest for the home partition. This should give you enough space to install Linux and any additional software you need.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Reactions: anirbandutta01

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I thought I would update here, I stuck with Linux Mint even though in the beginning it was hard to figure some of it out. I also tried Ubuntu and Zorin but came back to Mint because it was easier to use and the GUI works more like Windows. I tested some of the music players and chose Strawberry, it looks kind of like Itunes and is super easy to use. It sounds pretty good too. I like that Mint already has other programs that I use already built in like LibreOffice and Firefox for the default browser.

I have been using Mint for a good while now and at this point I am very satisfied with it. I want to keep learning and exploring everything else Mint can do but for now it works fine for what I need. I read earlier today that MS is adding/forcing Bing AI on the new update coming up next week. No offense to anyone who likes Bing AI or Chat GPT but I am just not interested in it. I also really like how Linux is not trying to sell me anything or get me to use any latest features and does not need my location so they can show me targeted relevant ads. I think Mint is much better for me.

New Windows 11 features are invading your PC on March 14 — here's what you'll see

C.H.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.