Advice Request Which method is the best way to restore a system?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Very often, before installing an app, I make a restore point. So, if I don't like the app and the uninstall goes bad, I just restore my system. But before installing something big, like a security app, I make an image and as blackice said, I just reimage to my backup if for any reason, I dislike the app. If I do that kind of reimaging many days later, it's important to make sure my data, like My Documents, My pictures , can be restored to the latest version. I use Syncback Free to sync my data.

Last edited:

dark_wielder

Level 2
Mar 7, 2020
I think it is absolutely backup software. I especially recommend the free version of Macrium. I am very happy with the Macrium and it does its job quite well.
You can take your backups regularly and come back as needed. These backups take up a lot of space, each taking an average of 15-20 GB.

Let me explain the method I use.
  • I take my backup after a clean format.
  • After updating my Windows system and making its settings, I take a backup.
  • After installing simple everyday programs, I take a backup. (I am going back to this backup to test other security combinations.)
  • Finally, I setup my security softwares and settings and take backup.
If I have a problem or don't like an application I tried, I am restoring my system. I make all these adjustments only on disk C and I have no important information on C disk. I back up my important documents in the cloud on another disk. So I restore my important information without thinking.

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I am not a fan of Windows restore points. I prefer full system backups using one of the well-know imaging software. This is the most relaible way to backup and restore sytem you can compress you backup image to save space, encrypt you image to prevent data theft and restore full system image in mins.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Format and clean installation.
I have all my documents, pictures, etc, in my HDD, if I have a problem with windows that I can't fix, even with a restore point, I just clean the SSD and do a fresh installation. Don't waste time with other rolling, it's never as good as fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Don't waste time with other rolling, it's never as good as fresh.
Whenever I do a clean installation, I install drivers and Windows updates and then create a full system image. Why should not be this as good as fresh? Fresh Windows installation is time-consuming while restoring a system image takes less than 10 mins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I have a base image with windows 10 with most basic drivers installed and I have monthly image backups with all data backup with imaging software. The imaging software takes incremental backup and saves space. So I prefer an image restore in case of something goes awfully bad. Reinstall is least preferred. Oh and my most precious data has 4 copies one in onedrive another in Google drive and rest two in two different hard drive.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Whenever I do a clean installation, I install drivers and Windows updates and then create a full system image. Why should not be this as good as fresh? Fresh Windows installation is time-consuming while restoring a system image takes less than 10 mins.
That boot image will only be up-to-date for some time... then you'll have to make a new one. Unless you need to do a clean installation every month or so, it's not that much of a difference in terms of being time-consuming. When I have a problem and need to do a clean installation, more than a year passed by, the updates will be outdated and probably drivers and utilities too.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am not a fan of Windows restore points. I prefer full system backups using one of the well-know imaging software. This is the most relaible way to backup and restore sytem you can compress you backup image to save space, encrypt you image to prevent data theft and restore full system image in mins.
+1
Windows restore point, if it even succeeds in running, often fails to fix the problem.
It's better than nothing...

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
Restoring a clean image is the quick and easy way, but the clean image gets outdated pretty quick. You end up running a lot of Windows and driver updates after reimaging. So once in a while I do a clean install with the lastest Microsoft ISO and the latest drivers, do all Windows updates, and create a new clean image after that.

My data is on a seperate disk, and backupped to the cloud, so before reimaging / reinstall I just deactivate any licenses and reactivate 'm after reimaging / reinstall.

Windows restore points are deactivated here, that expresses my opinion about them.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Windows internal feature is best.
It exist even many ways:

- Reset from Windows itself
- InPlace upgrades from a running windows (with iso file)
- start from DVD / USB and repair

And if you prepare yourself before the problem:
Using Windows PE DVD

Their exist no reason to use third party :)

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
It exist even many ways:

Using Windows PE DVD

You are right about a repair after a small problem, like messing up something by installing a certain program. However, Windows is unable to repair itself completely in all scenarios, for example (but not limited to) hardware failure, virus or malware infection. Then reimaging or reinstalling is pretty much the only option. That can be done from Windows PE, but there are easier options in my opinion. I also like the generic approach, just go with the solution that always works, even if it takes a little longer.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
That boot image will only be up-to-date for some time... then you'll have to make a new one. Unless you need to do a clean installation every month or so, it's not that much of a difference in terms of being time-consuming. When I have a problem and need to do a clean installation, more than a year passed by, the updates will be outdated and probably drivers and utilities too.
You've got a valid point here. What I do to keep the image updated, I create a backup scheme. I create a full system backup then a series of incremental backups (which I later merge into the base backup). That way I can keep my backup up-to-date

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
It exist even many ways:

Using Windows PE DVD

Except I used the built in tools and got a hard error that borked my Windows. I had to do a clean install. I find Macrium Reflect much more user friendly and reliable. To be fair I don’t know what went wrong with the windows image, probably due to my lack of knowledge. But I’ve reimaged with Macrium several times without issue.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Except I used the built in tools and got a hard error that borked my Windows. I had to do a clean install. I find Macrium Reflect much more user friendly and reliable. To be fair I don’t know what went wrong with the windows image, probably due to my lack of knowledge. But I’ve reimaged with Macrium several times without issue.
In my experience, Mcarium was the fastest imaging software but I do not use it for it is expensive ( I do not want to use the free version) and it wipes WUH.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.