Advice Request Which method is the best way to restore a system?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
In my experience, Mcarium was the fastest imaging software but I do not use it for it is expensive ( I do not want to use the free version) and it wipes WUH.
What is your issue with the free version? Just curious. I used the free version until last week and I figured it was worth paying the devs for the product I used so much and liked. Not to mention getting the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware. Very useful.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
What is your issue with the free version? Just curious. I used the free version until last week and I figured it was worth paying the devs for the product I used so much and liked. Not to mention getting the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware. Very useful.
The free version does not allow you to encrypt the backups. I really need that feature. I am using O&O DiskImage 14 and I am happy with it but I will upgrade to the 15 version as I received an excellent offer.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I made 2 local disk (1 operating system and 1 with backup) and i have installed macrium free. Full backup on sunday, differentials others days. If i have to rollback just have to restore it. If system is compromised, due to wim modification i can log in macrium enviroment and restore from there. If this way is not accessible i just format the pc (dont touch the backup partition), install windows and macrium, and restore from backup partition. I think i am enough safe with this strategy. It can stay up 20 min for restore, but for me is not a problem, specially is rly rare i have to rollback.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think it depends on the cause of restoring. We agree that recovery from a backup is best for infections that can be traced or timed.
If your Windows system is failing and you don't know why, the recovery partition can be your last resort. I experienced this when the update was no longer applied. The system image recovery returned to the previous state, but the error did not improve. This was the first time I used a recovery partition. It's not as cumbersome as a clean install, but it's a sure thing.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
The quickest and easiest way to restore a system is either using rollback rx or eazy fix ( rollback rx clone ) taking a snapshot takes less than 30 seconds , restoring a snapshot under a minute.
Same here. I used both software and never had any problems. In addition, you can use Shadow Defender if it fits you better.

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
I tend to agree with @show-Zi and, @scorpionv

All contributors have made valid points.

I see this topic as, a little like “horses for courses.” In @show-Zi 's words: 'it depends on the cause of restoring.'

One reason for hesitation, regarding recovery partitions is; they too can be corrupted.

My personal routine is, regular disc images and, backups. Acronis is my current tool(old version - too slow.) I do overwrite my aged copies of most images, mainly due to redundancy. All are stored, securely, on several external drives.

I never leave a backup drive connected to a computer longer than the backup takes to complete.

I keep an “emergency” set of basic recovery discs(and/or USB stick) as an option. These do include necessary drivers, but not necessarily the latest. I prefer Windows PE media.

It's been quite a while since I have re-imaged my own machines. Mainly due to being time poor. Plus, no major issues.

However, I have re-imaged(or reinstalled Windows😴) on numerous P.C.s, whilst working. Most of those cases involved serious breaches or malware(often both,) frequently compounded by panicked actions performed by the system owner.

I prefer to start with with the most simple option available. This is generally a native Windows function. The “KISS” principle doesn't always work but, it's served me well, over a long period of time. We have to start somewhere. To a great degree, this is dictated by the damage in need of repair.

After reviewing @Nautilus & @dinosaur07 words regarding the speed of Rollback Rx, it may well make an appearance in my kit. I'll be checking it out. Thank you!

Stay safe, well & happy!

:unsure:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
System restore worked great for me in windows 7, but since Windows 10 it has not worked for me ever! I have External and cloud backup, works
I feel about the restoration point as a kind of perishable food. The result depends on the freshness; a restore point within 24 hours may be useful, but selecting a point that has passed the time, often disrupts the time consistency of the OS and software.⌚

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Do you have to exit Rollback to update Windows?
No. Look here:

They say:
The software now has full compatibility with all Windows Updates. Previous versions did have compatibility issues with Creators Updates.

Last edited:

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Very often, before installing an app, I make a restore point. So, if I don't like the app and the uninstall goes bad, I just restore my system. But before installing something big, like a security app, I make an image and as blackice said, I just reimage to my backup if for any reason, I dislike the app. If I do that kind of reimaging many days later, it's important to make sure my data, like My Documents, My pictures , can be restored to the latest version. I use Syncback Free to sync my data.
Same for me. Very regular restore points (automatic + manual regulary + before installing). + I once in a while (or if there is something big, as you said :D) I prefer to make bit image using integrated Windows feature and then I can restore it in case if something goes wrong. About 2 weeks back that was the cause. My graphic card driver glitched, restore point didn't work and the system was #####ed up properly. I decided that instead of reinstalling that driver, I am going to restore that bit copy. Worked without any problem. Except that I had to reinstall Warhammer 2: Vermintide. IDK why, every other game is working without any problem, so I guess that was yet another glitch/bug.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hi,
I have separate 50 GB partition for macrium backups(E:\backups) and the backup folder is protected by Spyshelter and F-Secure folder protection, in case of malware/ransomware attack. Backup to external HDD would be better solution tho...
Kindest regards,
-sepik

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
For anyone using Rollback RX , have you had any issues with Windows updates? Thanks.
UNCHECK "turn off automatic windows update" in Rollback RX Pro and you should be good to go.
Rollback.png

Last edited:

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
I used rollback rx years ago. Quite liked it, especially for testing softwares and fast restore. What i did not like back in time, not sure tho, it use your PBA(pre-boot authentication) to load its restore menu. And it redirect I/O aka HDD queries which slow down your HDD. And its not recommended to use any defrag softwares when using rollback rx. I don't know how it performs nowadays, because last time i've used it was years ago.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Was the question meant as in the fastest or in the most reliable way?
Fastest: Probably Rollback RX (After 2 fubar problems I quit using it years ago). Could totaly be usererror but I couldn't get windows back again :D
Reliable: Macrium Reflect (for me). If you buy it it's also really fast with restores, a least in my view.

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
Fastest: Probably Rollback RX (After 2 fubar problems I quit using it years ago). Could totaly be usererror but I couldn't get windows back again :D
Reliable: Macrium Reflect (for me). If you buy it it's also really fast with restores, a least in my view.

LOL, that's usually my criterium as well. Software has to be scorpionv proof. If it needs to much of my time, either I'm doing something wrong or it is too complex.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I dont think fast should be take in consideration, in recovery thing, specially if can end with errors.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.