Battle Which privacy VPN for 12 months - Express vs Mullvad vs Nord vs Proton?

Compare list
ExpressVPN
Mullvad VPN
NordVPN
ProtonVPN
In-depth Comparison

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Looking for a privacy VPN, that offers double protection and available cross-platform.
  • ExpressVPN
  • Mullvad VPN
  • NordVPN
  • ProtonVPN

Which do you recommend and why?
  1. most reasonably price for features
  2. pass through multiple servers
  3. overall speed on weekdays vs weekends
  4. for a 12 month plan

(Ignore- Windscribe, Netflix, Torrenting)

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Nord is good, however they often have leaks in mass.
This means if your acc was leaked, you need to contact them to begin with, and please do not use the same password of NordVPN to the email address associated with your NordVPN account

Nordvpn accs are being leaked at least once every 2 to 4 weeks en mass, and since most accounts are under multiple years and devices plans, no one really notices until you cannot connect or cannot login because you decided to use a password that is the same as the email address in which your NordVPN is connected to.

Once I finish my subscription (1 month left), I am moving away.

That aside, they do have security, if you choose to ignore the above big issue.
Do you also have the issue to enter your password for NordVPN for Windows every time you need to connect?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
May I ask which one?
NordVPN based on price and features. Nothing is 100% secure, but reading the improvements they'll be implementing is reassuring that they are still focused on security as well as user privacy.

Surfshark VPN although cheaper, the commitment was a longer term. It is a rising VPN with gaining popularity, and a lot can change in the 24 month period.

The rest, although great services, the cost was over budget after you factor in the 20% tax.

MegenM

Level 3
Well-known
Jun 8, 2020
Using Surfshark VPN for more than a year now.
* I purchased the 2 Years + 3 Months Free subscription plan for USD 47.76. Found the price to be reasonable for unlimited devices support and for the advanced security features.
* Surfshark has over 1700+ servers in 63 countries (As per the official company website)
* The speed is good in general (I haven't specifically checked on weekdays or weekends) as it allows me to watch 4k content on Youtube without any lags.

HudSonManiac

Level 1
Feb 19, 2019
Nord is good, however they often have leaks in mass.
This means if your acc was leaked, you need to contact them to begin with, and please do not use the same password of NordVPN to the email address associated with your NordVPN account

Nordvpn accs are being leaked at least once every 2 to 4 weeks en mass, and since most accounts are under multiple years and devices plans, no one really notices until you cannot connect or cannot login because you decided to use a password that is the same as the email address in which your NordVPN is connected to.

Once I finish my subscription (1 month left), I am moving away.

That aside, they do have security, if you choose to ignore the above big issue.
Sorry, but that's not what actually happens. This is what's called credential stuffing attacks, no company is safe from these. In short: most people reuse their login details for all of the services they use. If an unrelated company gets its data leaked hackers try to login with those credentials to other popular services like Netflix, Spotify, and sometimes NordVPN. No company is safe from these, until people start using password managers. NordVPN has had zero leaks, this is all credential stuffing.

HudSonManiac

Level 1
Feb 19, 2019
This shouldn't even be up for debate. Mullvad is the only truly trustworthy of the bunch. NordVPN had leaks exposing private keys, they also cooperate with the phony HolaVPN and their botnets. ExpressVPN is at risk because it's based in Hong Kong, ProtonVPN is owned by Tesonet or has some connections to it: Link

As usual with these things you can never be sure if the rumors or conspiracies are actually true. The only thing we know for sure is that Mullvad is run by tinfoil hatters who are just as paranoid of NSA spying as most of us. Go with Mullvad or anyone who partners with them (e.g. Mozilla VPN). (y)
Obviously, people will believe what they want, but in my opinion this is mostly rumors. Also, as far as I know, NordVPN only had one leak, and it wan't even that serious, nothing usable was stolen, no personal user details. Mullvad is great, don't get me wrong, but it's a smaller company, so its resources are also smaller than the top VPN companies. If your no. 1 priority is security, then Mullvad might be the best pick, but if you want the features, speed and server size of a market leader then I would suggest NordVPN or ExpressVPN.

• +Reputation
Reactions: upnorth

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Sorry, but that's not what actually happens. This is what's called credential stuffing attacks, no company is safe from these. In short: most people reuse their login details for all of the services they use. If an unrelated company gets its data leaked hackers try to login with those credentials to other popular services like Netflix, Spotify, and sometimes NordVPN. No company is safe from these, until people start using password managers. NordVPN has had zero leaks, this is all credential stuffing.
You are free to believe what you want, however truth is nordvpn has many leaks unlike other vpn services.

A little google session will show you the amount of login details leaked and that are still active, and in many cases nordvpn's password is active too.
Also some accounts have comprehensive passwords from what I have seen.

Nevertheless, sure believe what the company publicly notifies the general public.

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Add surfshark and take advatange of sale offer - in my view so far nordvpn has been so so but more closed to 💩

Express is of course good but too $$

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.