Which router could i buy for my home ?

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i have always been a netgear fan , but some nice models have a fancy firmware

could please share and give some advises about a good router for home use?

which are you favorite brands and model for home use?

i will connect my desktop via lan cable ,my laptop & smartphone via wireless

thanks

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I can recomend Asus routers.
I use RT-AC52U and I must say that connection is really stable and settings interface is really intuitive.
Before this one I had some Cisco/Linksys router but I was really dissapointed with it as I needed be really close to the router to keep my connection alive.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
I can recomend Asus routers.
I use RT-AC52U and I must say that connection is really stable and settings interface is really intuitive.
Before this one I had some Cisco/Linksys router but I was really dissapointed with it as I needed be really close to the router to keep my connection alive.

Asus makes very good routers as far as i know :)

hi
do you keep on all the day ? or do you turn off during the night or the day ? in short when you sleep
i will conside asus !
is the the firmware update regularly ?
have you used netgear?

i'm watching asus router , there are several models , i'm looking for a router for my home , and with a wireless signal not too powerfull , i mean , i need only for my flat

thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: askmark

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I never turn it off and since I bought the router he received only one update but is it really necessary if there are no security issues and all is functioning properly?
My Asus have pretty good signal strenght so I can use my devices even on the 1st floor of my house (I have never tested if they will be working in the attic :)).

Reactions: askmark and giulia

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i have read that several routers are at risk ,because malware can attack router devices and the makers released new firmware
in case of a router inflected by malware , i guess i could hard reset or re-install the firmware (if there is not a new one)

by the way i can 't find your model , but ASUS RT-AC58U & ASUS RT-AC51U should be like yours ,right?
cheers

Reactions: askmark

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
hi
i have read that several routers are at risk ,because malware can attack router devices and the makers released new firmware
in case of a router inflected by malware , i guess i could hard reset or re-install the firmware (if there is not a new one)

by the way i can 't find your model , but ASUS RT-AC58U & ASUS RT-AC51U should be like yours ,right?
cheers
Basically yes. But I would buy RT-AC58U as it is a newer model and it have external antennas.

Reactions: giulia and askmark

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
While I cannot recommend a router, I tend to buy Netgear networking appliances as they are aesthetically pleasing and work very well for the price you pay. Our router is provided by my Internet Service Provider, which I do not know the brand.

Don't spend too much on features you cannot access, for example, if you do not have super-fast fibre broadband.
If you live in a large property with dead-zones, you will need to buy a Wifi Booster/Extender for the hard to reach areas, or for dedicated gaming systems or media streaming devices, a Powerline adaptor is advisable.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Linksys....no.

I've used Netgear for many years, totally happy with them.

I've never used Asus, so I can't comment.

I don't know why anyone would consider turning off one's router.

Power levels can be set from within the router's configuration, though I don't know why anyone would change it. It isn't going to make you more secure and it will make you more vulnerable to interference from neighbouring routers. In light of that, I do recommend using a WiFi finder tool (free Android app) to pick the clearest channel and manually set your router to it.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
One factor to weigh is whether you want to use 3rd party firmware as that narrows down the field considerably.
Hi Telos
yes ,it 's really what i was looking for , seeing the new netgear run a "funny" software/firmware

I don't know why anyone would consider turning off one's router.
Hi Rolo
only because in the summer , here the it's very hot , i can't ge 35° in my room :mad::mad::confused:

i tend to power off several devises

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I have used Netgear without problems, though currently I am using an Asus Rt-AC1900 and it is fantastic. Many options and the coverage is outstanding.

Reactions: enaph

johnjacobs

Level 1
Verified
Jun 3, 2016
You haven't mention about the area you want to cover. How many users will use? I have been using TP-Link router for more than year and a half. My house is 1800 square feet and 5 users. There are many options available in the market. So it is always better to do a little research before going for a particular one. Here you will find complete comparison among different Wi-Fi router
Best Wireless Routers For 2017: Buyer's Guide - Home Security List

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.